Extremely loud clatter at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I'm on vacation this week and this is eating at me so I need to ask.

Before we left for vacation I started my 2013 5.7 up to back it slightly out of the garage so we could get some things off of a shelf. When it started there was a very loud clatter which lasted less than a second and the engine idled normally. I just bought the truck a month ago and this was the first time I've heard it. My 2012 had never done it in the 70k miles we've put on it.

It seemed much louder than lifter tick but being so short lived I'm not sure what it could have been. It's got me worried, anyone experience something similar?

gremlinsteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has to be oil pressure related. Lifter pump up issue due to the shortness of it doing it
Piston slap would last longer

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Less than a second? Lifters usually last a little longer than that as well. Being such a short and loud event, I would look at the accessory drive first. If you have remote start, stand outside and try to put an ear close to where you suspect its coming from in order to narrow it down. Could just be a pulley or tensioner bearings going bad and the sound you hear is it "breaking free". Then look/listen/feel for anything loose in the torque converter inspection cover area to rule that out as well.

Try to make a a video and post it. There are a lot of very smart and helpful people on here willing to try and sort it out if given enough info to do so. Not saying its not lifters or rotating assembly related, but try to rule everything else out first before driving yourself crazy. Think pragmatic and use a realistic process of elimination.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Appreciate the reply gremlinsteve but it's a bit out of my area of expertise. Is this something the dealership could diagnose & repair or the type of intermittent issue which would likely never be reproduced at the dealership?

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Thanks Rampant. I'll definitely have a camera rolling when I get back from vacation and start it for the first time.

gremlinsteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes if they can get it to do it while in there presence
Does it do it on all start ups or just cold starts

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Only had it happen once, we'll see what happens when I get home.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i always try the simple things first. i would start with an oil change and new oil filter ruling out a defective filter.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I had the same thing happen in my 2013 once. Had done an oil change at the local quick lube one afternoon, and the next morning I had the same sound at startup. I instantly knew it was probably their crap filter, so I went to Dodgeand got a stock filter. Had them put it on and top off the oil, no more noise at startup

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
So we returned from vacation this afternoon and I started the truck to see what would happen. It still made the noise but it was much quieter and lasted probably twice as long. Once the noise cannot be heard I still pick it up when I rev the motor but it is very faint. I took a video:

http://youtu.be/Aa_kMJijex8

The oil and filter were done by the dealership where I bought it and I have no idea what they used. I've put around 250 miles on it since I bought it and it's got 44k miles on it now. I ordered a Wix filter while I was on vacation which is supposed to be here today if Amazon can manage what they promise. I've also got some Mobile1 5w30 on hand to do an oil change ASAP.

I'm open to thoughts, experiences and recommendations. My 2012 5.7l just hit 71k miles today and it's never had this issue.

gremlinsteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry to say but that's lifter noise
What oil filter did they use
It's anit drain back valve might be bad
Replace it first I would say

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I'll definitely be changing the oil before I drive it again. Hopefully that takes care of it, if not it's still under the 5/100k powertrain warranty so I'll take it in.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Well as has become a regular occurrence Amazon has failed to deliver when they said they would so I'm going to have to go hunt down a filter. I've never seen a Wix at Autozone or Advance Auto. Are there any other good filters available that I might find locally?

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Well as has become a regular occurrence Amazon has failed to deliver when they said they would so I'm going to have to go hunt down a filter. I've never seen a Wix at Autozone or Advance Auto. Are there any other good filters available that I might find locally?

O'Reillys carries Wix for our trucks. Otherwise you can buy a K&N filter, which should be available at Advance, which is also a good choice.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Def a lifter tic, I had the same thing . I had it brought to dealership and they diagnosed it as normal. The lifters lose compression after sitting for a while the oil slowly leaks out.... There is actually a flyer out through Chrysler that it is normal as lo ng as it goes away shortly after start up and they state it is completely harmless....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed my oil with mobile one synthetic and added quart of Lucas oil and boom no more lifter tic .

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I changed my oil with mobile one synthetic and added quart of Lucas oil and boom no more lifter tic .

Do you substitute the quart of Lucas oil for a quart of Mobile 1? I have a feeling that might be a stupid question but I need to ask nonetheless lol.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea it called for 20% Lucas so 4 quarts Mobil 1 quart Lucas

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Btw how did you upload a video??? I've been. Trying to do that via my iPhone but haven't figured it out yet ......