Extremely loud clatter at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Btw how did you upload a video??? I've been. Trying to do that via my iPhone but haven't figured it out yet ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I created my own "channel" on Youtube a few years back. Once I log on there's an upload icon on the top right corner. Just click it and you can drag the video file onto the screen and it'll upload. Once it's loaded it'll give you a direct link to the video.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea it called for 20% Lucas so 4 quarts Mobil 1 quart Lucas

I've never trusted lucus products... op There is a oil thread, I would check that out before adding lucus, idk that's my two .02 the engineers at Chrysler know more than us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I've never trusted lucus products... op There is a oil thread, I would check that out before adding lucus, idk that's my two .02 the engineers at Chrysler know more than us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I appreciate that there is an oil thread but it is 874 pages long. Having participated in multiple online forums for well over a decade and discussing a variety of topics I'm quite sure there are many disagreements in that thread and reading all of it is unlikely to yield a rock solid opinion on much. I'm currently researching the Lucas Oil additive and will make a decision one way or the other by tomorrow.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2013 did the same thing once at startup. I use mobil one oil. I didn't think it was a big deal, but It hasn't happened again.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I appreciate that there is an oil thread but it is 874 pages long. Having participated in multiple online forums for well over a decade and discussing a variety of topics I'm quite sure there are many disagreements in that thread and reading all of it is unlikely to yield a rock solid opinion on much.

Actually.......

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Actually.......

Actually what? Reading 870+ pages of that thread is going to lead anyone who spends a week wading through it to the exact same conclusion? If that were the case why don't members of the forum simply share the information rather than pointing people to that thread? Isn't the purpose of a forum to share information? Not everyone is interested in understanding every little nuance of motor oil, how its made, what it is comprised of, how it works, how long it lasts, etc.. I find that pretty difficult to believe especially considering the poll consists of six different oils and each have votes.

It's as if reading that thread is a right of passage or something. I've opened it, I've bounced around in it looking for something that would entice me to stick it out and read through the entire thread and haven't found it.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
1st don't be an idiot...lots of great info in that thread....Id read through it...also you don't have to start in the beginning, to sum it up the best oil to use for tick and hemi motors is an oil with the highest moly count.

Also a good synthetic filter with a better made material for anti drain back. I use redline 5w30 it's a top tier oil with a high moly content as well as top tier additive package. Another good option is Penzoil Platinum. As far as filters I use a royal purple, but Wix and Mobil 1 filters are very good as well. There is also a moly additive that blows Lucas out of water....if you want an additive on top of ur oil choice. These oils are readily avaible as well, I ordered a case off amazon with 3 pack of filters.

https://products.liqui-moly.com/molygen-motor-protect-3.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Not sure how I'm being an idiot but thanks for the info. I didn't say there wasn't good information in that thread, I simply have no interest in becoming an expert on motor oil.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I appreciate that there is an oil thread but it is 874 pages long. Having participated in multiple online forums for well over a decade and discussing a variety of topics I'm quite sure there are many disagreements in that thread and reading all of it is unlikely to yield a rock solid opinion on much. I'm currently researching the Lucas Oil additive and will make a decision one way or the other by tomorrow.

surprisingly enough, the oil thread remains calm friendly. imo, it is worth reading.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It isn't just a thread about oil, it's a whole bunch of real world results with research to back up how to fix your exact issue with your truck using one of 3 oils. But hey to each their own.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I do appreciate the help with this issue. I bought a Wix XP filter and Mobile Super Synthetic 5w20 this morning and changed the oil/filter. I drove it for a few miles after the change and parked it in the garage to cool down. Just went out and started it up and it was free of lifter noise. It had what appeared to be a NAPA Premier filter (printing was difficult to make out) and who knows what oil the dealership put in it (not a Ram dealership).

It appears to have been remedied and I do appreciate the assistance.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I do appreciate the help with this issue. I bought a Wix XP filter and Mobile Super Synthetic 5w20 this morning and changed the oil/filter. I drove it for a few miles after the change and parked it in the garage to cool down. Just went out and started it up and it was free of lifter noise. It had what appeared to be a NAPA Premier filter (printing was difficult to make out) and who knows what oil the dealership put in it (not a Ram dealership).

It appears to have been remedied and I do appreciate the assistance.

good to hear. my guess would be a filter issue.

gremlinsteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep
Like I said earlier I bet it was a drain back valve issue in the filter