Factory oil filter stuck!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hughey79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay maybe it isnt stuck per se but can you all please guide me on how to get it off?

I tried the standard oil tightening wrench and i cant get enough room in anyway to get it tight and have room to attempt to turn it without hitting something.

Also tried a jaw clamp type and all I managed was to make a small dent in the canister no movement.

Lastly tried the cup with socket and and no way to get the socket end in there with all the crap in the way.

How in the heck are you getting the factory one off?

Please help. I feel defeated! Thanks!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have to ask, which way are you turning it? Did you smash the can?

spin_prod_883664312??hei=64&wid=64&qlt=50.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Try and loosen after a long trip, get it hot. Just to loosen it a little, then when cool try it?

It should not be that hard.

Golden cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It should not be that hard to remove! You might want to try pair of oil filter pliers, also make sure it's going the correct direction. If the handle of the pliers is pointed toward the front of your truck make sure you push it toward the passenger side for removal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Hughey79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im turning it left and it was still very warm from the drive home from work.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put a nitrile glove on and twist that **** off.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is this the first oil change? If so, my theory is that they have a 400 lbs strong man that works on the assembly line that his job is to put the oil filter on as tight as he can. I always have the dealer do the first oil change for that reason. My suggestion, if you can, take it to a dealer the first time.
Jay

I know the process is probably automated but they need to turn the torque down a little---IMHO

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, if you already dented the can, maybe the dealer should get it off. Tell them to make sure they only hand tighten in.

OP
OP
H

Hughey79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The can isnt crushed and only one small point got dented in on the bottom. Will attempt round two tonight after work. Yes it is the factory filter or first oil change on it.
Not a lot of room up in there for sure. Have my baggie and towels ready for the oil after its loosened.
Thank you all was really aggravated and tired last night. Maybe better luck this evening.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I was still using OEM filters in the stock location, the filter wrench I used was a KD-2380. It's the kind that has a 3/8" square opening for a 3/8" ratchet or short extension. It's designed for smaller oil filters. You can generally get those at any auto parts store. I lined the interior of the band on that wrench with some adhesive backed sand paper, and trimmed it to the width of the band. Works great on all small diameter (like the OEM Ram filter) oil filters.

After the first 4-letter word laced oil change, I installed a filter relocation kit. Several threads on this forum on how to do that.

Regarding the suggestion to pierce the canister with a screwdriver and use it to twist the filter off, I wouldn't do that. Been down that path when changing the filter on an old Dodge Tradesman van with the 318 V8 years ago. The PER-1 sized oil filter would not budge. In an act of desperation I tried that technique, and the screwdriver pierced through the canister simply shredded the canister when twisting force was applied. I was forced to use a larger screwdriver and a hammer as a chisel against the rolled edge of the filter closest to the engine block. Fortunately that engine filter location gave me the room to loosen it that way. There isn't room to do that on the Ram.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The first oil change is a PITA. I did mine not too long ago. I used a pair of oil filter pliers and put more than a small dent in the can to get the dam thing off. As Pull Ya mentioned it is usually installed at the factory by a 400 pound strong man and is twisted on dry to make future removal as miserable a process as possible.

OP
OP
H

Hughey79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need help again quick please. Finished oil change. Had to use a strap to get it off. Put in new oil and made a mess swapping filter out. Put on new rp 10-48 and it seems to fit differently. Can you advise if this is normal?

OP
OP
H

Hughey79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See above post help please

Is this right?

Attachments

• IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
H

Hughey79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another

Here is another

Attachments

• IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
H

Hughey79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Help last one closer

Here it is

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 27

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife bought an 05' mustang GT brand new. The first oil change was fun. I used a strap. Couldn't get it. Stuck a screwdriver through it. Twisted the oil filter into two pieces. I don't even remember how I finally got it off. I won though. The first change in the truck was tough too.

OP
OP
H

Hughey79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah lol next one will be easier. Just want to make sure this is the correct fitment so I can start it and be done for the night