fan always running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBertha508

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
hello,

ive noticed recently my engine/coolant fan is always runing. Coolant is not low, is not overheating, I do have a 180t stat, never gets warmer then 170-190. So I have no idea idea why it always is running it seems. Its cold here (in MASS) so any ideas?

Thanks!

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Do you have your AC on? Even when it is cold outside, the condenser fan for the AC will run when the AC is on. I noted it was loud on both my old gen 3 and my 2017.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have your defrost on? The fan will come on with defrost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
something is not right, either a relay got stuck in on position or the temp sensor has lost its mind.

How hot does the truck think its running? This might be a clue to whats wrong.

OP
OP
B

BigBertha508

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Temp is reading normal I beleiv about 160-170 at most, never has over heated, or even come close to it. I do have a lot of mods on it but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Could it be an error with my custom tune?

If not, what should I replace? It just drive me nuts hearing the face all the time.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the fan go full blast at start? Might be again the relay or the tune. Is it a clutch fan or electric?

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Temp is reading normal I beleiv about 160-170 at most, never has over heated, or even come close to it. I do have a lot of mods on it but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Could it be an error with my custom tune?

If not, what should I replace? It just drive me nuts hearing the face all the time.

It is the Ac fan, yes it is due to the hemifever tune and is normal. Nothing to worry about mine does the same thing. Are you running his race tune?

Last edited:

The kracken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fan should not stay on all the time especially if its not very hot outside. Its either the relay or the tune

Sent from a device thats sends stuff

OP
OP
B

BigBertha508

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
yes im running his custom 93 tune .... i was running a old
if it of it and this started around the time i updated it.

if it the sensor where do i find it? or what else would need to be replaed.. to be safe...i baby my truck.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yes im running his custom 93 tune .... i was running a old
if it of it and this started around the time i updated it.

if it the sensor where do i find it? or what else would need to be replaed.. to be safe...i baby my truck.

I can almost guarantee you it is the tune has mine does the same thing with his tune loaded, but if you want to make sure just load your stock tune back on the truck to see if it stops. Then you will be able to confirm whether or not it is the tune before you start throwing parts at it.

Last edited:

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It sounds like it's the tune to me as well. I have my fan set to turn on at approx 185* too. Another option to check rather than unloading the HF tune is just checking the settings using your tuner.

Reactions: CTD

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
You can adjust the fan temp setting yourself with the tuner as well. Just bump the temp setting up to about 190*, and it will not run as often.

I actually prefer to keep my fan running most of the time because it is almost always warm down here, but this is a very easy setting to adjust yourself, or you can have HF adjust it for you as well.

Reactions: CTD

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can adjust the fan temp setting yourself with the tuner as well. Just bump the temp setting up to about 190*, and it will not run as often.

I actually prefer to keep my fan running most of the time because it is almost always warm down here, but this is a very easy setting to adjust yourself, or you can have HF adjust it for you as well.

My Ac fan pretty much runs from the time I start my truck up till I turn it off. I have yet to hear my clutch fan cut on since I have tuned and added a 180 t stat. I am running Sean's 93 race tune so I assume he must have it programed to pretty much run full time. This is the tuned he wrote me for the track, so I would guess this is why it is mostly running full time.

I have a regular 93 street tune also but I only ran it for a few min to do a data log, so the fan may be programed different on that tune. I never paid much attention the short time I ran it. I should probably be running the street tune during regular driving, but that race tune just runs so damn good ha ha. The truck runs great and it doesn't bother me, so I never worried about it. I haven't really fooled around with the tuner that much, so I may try to see if I can do some adjusting on my truck.

Last edited: