Fan or Belt Squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fan or Belt Squeak (Updated with sound clip)

I posted awhile back how I ran into someone while both stopped at a stop light and when they started to go, they stopped suddenly and I didn't get stopped so I ran into him at prob 1-2 mph. I hit his hitch ball which tore my painted bumper cover slightly. No other noticeable damage except a small crack in one of the the fog light plastic mounts. Adjusted the fog light, replaced the bumper cover with a new painted one and all seemed fine.

However I did notice a belt/fan/pulley area noise I haven't heard before. It likely was always doing it I just wasn't paying attention until now. Sounds like a hampster wheel that needs oiled. Not very loud, can't hear it in the cab, and basically have to be in front of the truck to hear as its pretty quiet. I didn't hit him hard enough to cause any damage so I'm 99% sure it has nothing to do with that. Unless something was just bumped enough to make a noise.

I'll probably just take it to the dealer and have them check it. But any other simple ideas it might be without going to the dealer? Truck only has 6k miles

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you check your pulleys?

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not yet, but had a pully squeak on my old Silverado that sounded similar and when I replaced the belt and pullies it quit. But wouldn't think at 6k miles on a 17 I'd need a new pully

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have you replaced any pulley driven accessories?

If you spray some water on the belt when running, does the squeak goes away? If so, then there is a slight misalignment issue that develop over time and could probably be easily silenced with one of those Quiet channel Continental Elite belts. If the squeak gets louder with the water, then you probably have some kind of tensioner or accessory failure problem causing belt slippage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll spray some water on it see what it does and let you know thanks! I haven't done anything engine wise to the truck yet except add a BT catch can so nothing with the pulleys.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the truck pretty much always does the noise. Maybe not on start up until its running a minute or two.

Took it to the dealer they said they heard nothing and it sounded normal compared to another Hemi they had and listened to next to it.

But I'm 99% sure the noise isn't normal. I've heard other Hemi's and never heard this. So I'm either going to drive in while its doing it and have them listen or try to figure it out myself and then go to them and say this is what it is.

I took a soundclip. As you can see it stops here and there but then starts again a few seconds later. I spray water on the belts and no change.

Hopefully this works. I've added pictures before but not video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gg7wjgs57hthwi8/Video Aug 27, 5 37 47 PM.mov?dl=0

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got back from dealer. They said the Fan clutch was grinding a bit which they replaced the hub and the squeak is from the water pump. Had to order it so will be fixed next week.