Fellow v6 owners, best exhaust? Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Well I have done much research here and elsewhere.. i found most of the info i need right now, other than exhaust and intake (filter) thoughts from v6 owners. all of the info i find is for the hemi..
I know I know, I should have gotten a Hemi.. but im good.. lol. Anyway, are there any fellow v6 owners running anything they could recommend?

NO DRONE or atleast close to none.. lol
As deep as possible without deleting anyhting

Thanks........

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's too bad Edelbrock isn't making mufflers anymore. Years ago put one on my Dad's 4.3 S-10. Man did it sound good!!! Not too loud, lots of deep and bass, you woulda almost thought it was a small V8 under the hood.
Maybe a Borla muffler would be good?? Nice low, deep bass.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The only exhaust I've seen on the v6 that sounds good to me is the stock exhaust off of a hemi truck. All you need is the takeoff exhaust from the hemi truck, and one extra hanger if I remember correctly. You would also have to change out your rear bumper to the one with cutouts.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only exhaust I've seen on the v6 that sounds good to me is the stock exhaust off of a hemi truck. All you need is the takeoff exhaust from the hemi truck, and one extra hanger if I remember correctly. You would also have to change out your rear bumper to the one with cutouts.

This is what I did and I think it sounds pretty good. You don't have to change out the rear bumper if you don't want to, the tips will exit below the bumper you have now just fine. You aren't ever gonna make it sound like a V8. You could also check out Mufflex, they have some exhausts that you could install if you want to keep the single out tailpipe. They say for V8 only but they will work with a V6 also.... some Moe's 5" tips might also help give it a little deeper tone. I'm gonna order some soon and I'll see if they make a difference.

OP
OP
BiGMERF

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6

This is what I did and I think it sounds pretty good. You don't have to change out the rear bumper if you don't want to, the tips will exit below the bumper you have now just fine. You aren't ever gonna make it sound like a V8. You could also check out Mufflex, they have some exhausts that you could install if you want to keep the single out tailpipe. They say for V8 only but they will work with a V6 also.... some Moe's 5" tips might also help give it a little deeper tone. I'm gonna order some soon and I'll see if they make a difference.

funny you guys say that, cause i just found a hemi dual exhaust off of a 15 for 85 dollars.... are you sure the tips dont make contact with the bumper? i have a chrome one

Last edited:

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
funny you guys say that, cause i just found a hemi dual exhaust off of a 15 for 85 dollars.... are you sure the tips dont make contact with the bumper? i have a chrome one

Yep positive, I bought my exhaust from a guy that upgraded on a new truck and ran it with my chrome non cutout bumper for about 8 months. I finally found a new chrome cut out bumper a local guy was selling when he installed aftermarket off road bumpers on his truck.

OP
OP
BiGMERF

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
ook awesome.. i just wanted to make sure it all lined up underneath.. im thinking of buying it, but instead of having them run straight back.. i would have them turn out behind each wheel

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I use a stock sport muffler from a Hemi truck. I like it but don't know how it compares to the standard Hemi muffler.

As far as intakes go, the K&N makes it sound louder, but I thought it was a bit to loud and sometimes "trumpety". So I took it off.

The factory duel exhaust setups are designed to work on bumpers with and without cut outs.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BiGMERF

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Anyone have an experience wih this muffler ? borla pro xs ? local shop swears it will give me a good tone with little to no drone

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have an experience wih this muffler ? borla pro xs ? local shop swears it will give me a good tone with little to no drone

Haven't heard that one, but over the years I've had a couple of Borla mufflers and all of them have been great mufflers.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Here is what the K&N Intake for the V6 sounds like (with OEM Sport Dual Exhaust)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liM9AeNrwiQ

The open box sound was a little too much for me so I re-used some of the parts to make my own setup using the stock air box...

Before
IMAG0285.jpg

After
IMAG0044.jpg

Wrapped (AEM Dry Filter installed)
IMAG0045.jpg

If I get a chance, I'll get a video with audio to compare the sound at wide open throttle with my additional changes...

The K&N box and filter is free to a good home (you pay shipping) if anyone wants it...

Last edited:

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The real mod you V6 guys need is a V8 Hemi! :driver:

I don't know how a full size truck would even move with a tiny V6 :whymewhyme:

OP
OP
BiGMERF

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Here is what the K&N Intake for the V6 sounds like (with OEM Sport Dual Exhaust)...

wow.. not a bad sound at all... windows closed right? sound like its 80 percent intake sound.. im sure it only sounded like that via heavy acceleration

mines moves quite well... i dont speed or haul anything over 2-3k.. so im good to go.. when i feel like going fast ill jump on my r1... buying a truck for speed imo is dumb.. now if your a heavy hauler then yes v8.. other than that if you want to go fast your v8 should be in a 3klb car not a 5klb truck. but hey to each there own

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Well, it moves faster than my 99 Ram Sport 5.2L V8 so I'm happy. Believe it or not the 3.6L engine and Ramboxes were my "must haves" when searching for my truck at dealerships.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
mines moves quite well... i dont speed or haul anything over 2-3k.. so im good to go.. when i feel like going fast ill jump on my r1... buying a truck for speed imo is dumb.. now if your a heavy hauler then yes v8.. other than that if you want to go fast your v8 should be in a 3klb car not a 5klb truck. but hey to each there own

Well, when you are in a situation when you can only have one vehicle and need it to do everything from making it through snowy winters to blasting through traffic like a boss, then it makes a lot of sense to make your truck powerful and fast performance vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BiGMERF

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Well, when you are in a situation when you can only have one vehicle and need it to do everything from making it through snowy winters to blasting through traffic like a boss, then it makes a lot of sense to make your truck powerful and fast.

exactly why i went with the v6.. im in florida, and i dont blast through traffic... she has enough giddy up to pass the guy doing exactly 65 so i can do 80.. thats All i need

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
exactly why i went with the v6.. im in florida, and i dont blast through traffic... she has enough giddy up to pass the guy doing exactly 65 so i can do 80.. thats All i need

Cool, I need lots of power to get up to 80+ fast where I live, or you get ran over quick.

OP
OP
BiGMERF

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
i choose low insurance.. i want 0 tickets..lol.. to poor to be gifting the state 200 plus dollars and then getting ***** by the ins company

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i choose low insurance.. i want 0 tickets..lol.. to poor to be gifting the state 200 plus dollars and then getting ***** by the ins company

I hear you there, fortunately for me, everyone drives the highways like an Indy race here, so rarely get pulled over since most everyone is going 90+ on the interstate.

OP
OP
BiGMERF

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
no state tax here, so guess how thy make there money lol