Finally, my Catch Can arrived

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered it right away, but they were on backorder. Only have 1000 miles, so not gonna be a problem. New engines aren't as bad as once they loosen up. I opened the box and no hoses. WTF! I looked at my invoice, and somehow I managed to select no hoses. :crazy: Oh well, a quick trip to the parts store and I had me some hose. Piece of mind returns...

wink

BTCC1.jpg

BTCC2.jpg

Reactions: SyN

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks nice! What is a catch can and does it void the warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks nice! What is a catch can and does it void the warranty?

Thanks! Short description is it's a device that should come standard on every Hemi. It goes inline in your PCV system to catch the blowby residue from the crankcase, and keep it out of your intake manifold. For those that think they don't do anything. The picture below is what I've drained out of the CC on my Jeep. That's not used motor oil. It's much nastier. You don't want that crud going back into your engine!

wink

BlowBy.jpg

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! Short description is it's a device that should come standard on every Hemi. It goes inline in your PCV system to catch the blowby residue from the crankcase, and keep it out of your intake manifold. For those that think they don't do anything. The picture below is what I've drained out of the CC on my Jeep. That's not used motor oil. It's much nastier. You don't want that crud going back into your engine!

wink

BlowBy.jpg

Oh wow! That's disgusting lol. I have 2,851 miles on my 17 now. Is it to late to add one? Is it something the dealer can do or does it void warranty?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered it right away, but they were on backorder. Only have 1000 miles, so not gonna be a problem. New engines aren't as bad as once they loosen up. I opened the box and no hoses. WTF! I looked at my invoice, and somehow I managed to select no hoses. :crazy: Oh well, a quick trip to the parts store and I had me some hose. Piece of mind returns...

wink

BTCC1.jpg

BTCC2.jpg

Clear cup. That's cool

Trapinator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh wow! That's disgusting lol. I have 2,851 miles on my 17 now. Is it to late to add one? Is it something the dealer can do or does it void warranty?

Never too late to add a catch can to a Hemi. Not to sure on voided warranty or not. If anything u could always remove and put the stock line back. Clear can looks sick btw

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi

No it won't void the warranty. Actually very little will because of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. But that's a topic for a different thread.

It's never too late. How much you may have accumulated I can't say, but I doubt it's real bad with that low mileage. Though I'd get one right away! But even for the guys that wait a whole lot longer, you can run Seafoam through the motor and clean it up. On my 6.1 I can pull the throttle body and see straight into the manifold. I know some have taken a stick with a rag wrapped around it and cleaned their manifold out. On our 5.7 the TB is at a 90 degree angle, so can't use the stick/rag method. Maybe something flexible instead of a stick.

You can install it yourself if you have simple mechanical skills. Took me maybe 10 minutes. Well longer as I had to go buy some hose. But if you're not comfortable, any mechanic should be able to do it. Personally I try to avoid dealership hacks whenever possible. I've only known two in my life that knew their stuff. It comes with instructions, and I seem to recall Billet Tech has a video on their site. Or did.

Do it! Should be a Hemi owners first mod.

wink

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Clear cup. That's cool

Clear can looks sick btw

Thanks! I'm lazy, so I'd rather just look at the cup to see if it needs emptying, instead of unscrewing the thing with what seems like a hundred turns. ;) They used to make a different clear one several years back. I had a serp belt shread at the track one day and busted the cup. BT said they didn't have any more, and weren't gonna make them again. Well surprise! I was looking at their site one day and saw them listed. Called and ordered two. Just incase anything happened to the one on my Jeep. But we moved it to the firewall, so not much chance of damage now. So the second one went on the RAM. It's a bit longer than the old one, or the stock one. Plus the new style has a knurled knob at the bottom, which makes it easy to remove. The old one just seemed like cheap plastic. I think this one is glass, or really nice plastic. ;) Much beefier.

Another member just told me they have them in stock again. If you have a BT can.

wink

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never too late to add a catch can to a Hemi. Not to sure on voided warranty or not. If anything u could always remove and put the stock line back. Clear can looks sick btw

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No it won't void the warranty. Actually very little will because of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. But that's a topic for a different thread.

It's never too late. How much you may have accumulated I can't say, but I doubt it's real bad with that low mileage. Though I'd get one right away! But even for the guys that wait a whole lot longer, you can run Seafoam through the motor and clean it up. On my 6.1 I can pull the throttle body and see straight into the manifold. I know some have taken a stick with a rag wrapped around it and cleaned their manifold out. On our 5.7 the TB is at a 90 degree angle, so can't use the stick/rag method. Maybe something flexible instead of a stick.

You can install it yourself if you have simple mechanical skills. Took me maybe 10 minutes. Well longer as I had to go buy some hose. But if you're not comfortable, any mechanic should be able to do it. Personally I try to avoid dealership hacks whenever possible. I've only known two in my life that knew their stuff. It comes with instructions, and I seem to recall Billet Tech has a video on their site. Or did.

Do it! Should be a Hemi owners first mod.

wink

Thank you both for the information. OP, where did you purchase yours from? I would like to get the same one. Out of curiosity, what would happen if one never put one on in five years down the road?

Bobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That clear is awesome. One day maybe I'll machine mine out for a sight window.

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you both for the information. OP, where did you purchase yours from? I would like to get the same one. Out of curiosity, what would happen if one never put one on in five years down the road?

I bought mine directly from Billet Technology. But HHP sells them. Probably Moe's too. If you never add one, eventually performance will suffer, mileage, could foul plugs, who knows? I never let mine get that dirty.

That clear is awesome. One day maybe I'll machine mine out for a sight window.

That's a cool idea!

wink

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

What would happen 5 years down the road? Absolutely nothing.
Not to be a dink, but I get a kick out of people who claim this is a needed mod. for a hemi.
If it makes you feel better go ahead and do it. But needed? No.
A solution in search of a real problem

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not to be a dink, but I get a kick out of people who claim this is a needed mod. for a hemi.

Believe what you want.

wink

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That clear can is awesome! I'm on my third catch can and have never seen a clear one. Looking it up now lol.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine

What about 10?

12?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What about 10?

12?

Nothing and nothing. I'm not saying its a bad product or idea.
But is there any research or proof it ads any longevity to your engine?
I've been fixing cars and trucks a long time and have never seen any evidence pcv vapors causing any engine problems.
Will it keep your intake cleaner? probably, do I worry about a little oily substance in my intake? no

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing and nothing. I'm not saying its a bad product or idea.

But is there any research or proof it ads any longevity to your engine?

I've been fixing cars and trucks a long time and have never seen any evidence pcv vapors causing any engine problems.

Will it keep your intake cleaner? probably, do I worry about a little oily substance in my intake? no

I had an issue with a vw I had. It had a intake manifold temp sensor and some other sensor. They used to get gummed up about every 5000 miles and I would get a cel. Had to remove them and clean them. Catch can fixed that.

Reactions: SyN

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
The catch can was one of the first things I did and it was money well spent. Can't imagine all the oil from over the years being dumped back into three intake.
I like the see through bottom, very cool.

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't recall anyone saying anything about engine longevity. The problem is performance will eventually suffer. I've poured some of that crap out and tried to light it. It doesn't burn very well. In fact it didn't burn at all.

wink

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Wink: :happy107:

One thing you might think about is in the future adding hose clamps to all the hose connections. Helps keep any oily vapor from the engine bay!

Just a suggestion!

One thing:---->Most might say these are a waste of $$ & not necessary!
Well neither is Smoking / Dipping / Doing Drugs but millions do it every hour of every day & this CC is thousands of $$$ cheaper over a very short time!
Dont worry to much about what others think!
It is much easier to ridicule & much more difficult to understand. Most take the easier route.

Your doing a bit of preventive maintenance:--->Clean/Dry intake as well as a virtual spotless throttle body!

Last edited: