Finally, my Catch Can arrived

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WTF? I called them when I ordered mine last month and that same company said they quit making the clear bottoms so I ended up with the aluminum bottom..

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Dont worry to much about what others think!
It is much easier to ridicule & much more difficult to understand. Most take the easier route.

Your doing a bit of preventive maintenance:--->Clean/Dry intake as well as a virtual spotless throttle body!

I've read both sides of this argument as well. I decided to get one, as I plan to keep my truck 10/12 years, longer if it is as good as my last Ram, which was a used 4.7.

Now I need to go get some hose clamps, because I am installing it in the morning.........

Thanks a LOT SyN..........

: )

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
WTF? I called them when I ordered mine last month and that same company said they quit making the clear bottoms so I ended up with the aluminum bottom..

I got mine from Moe's and didn't even know about the clear.

Glad I got the aluminum, I think it looks better.

Just me.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The one thing everyone has not mentioned is the 10 to 15 horsepower increase that happens with a catch can and I would imagine the clear bottom can might add an additional 5 to 10. :happy107:

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wink: :happy107:

One thing you might think about is in the future adding hose clamps to all the hose connections. Helps keep any oily vapor from the engine bay!

Just a suggestion!

One thing:---->Most might say these are a waste of $$ & not necessary!
Well neither is Smoking / Dipping / Doing Drugs but millions do it every hour of every day & this CC is thousands of $$$ cheaper over a very short time!
It is much easier to ridicule & much more difficult to understand. Most take the easier route.

Your doing a bit of preventive maintenance:--->Clean/Dry intake as well as a virtual spotless throttle body!

Yeah I thought about clamps as I was installing it, but the hoses fit really tight on the nipples, so it can wait. I'll monitor it and see. On my Jeep I had the BT braided hoses and aluminum ferrules. Looked nice, but the CC is mounted on the firewall now, so it's just regular hose. Never have seen any residue in the engine compartment, but it's blown, and that changes things. Though I did get spray from the bypass valves with my first Vortech, but it was their blower oil, not bypass crud. But it only happened when I turned the boost way up. I've had the CC on my Jeep for 7 years. One of the best mods I've done!

I don't take this stuff too seriously. Life's too short... People can think whatever they want, and neither is likely to change the other's position. But that doesn't mean I won't correct dogma wth facts when I feel it's necessary. Bad info is bad info, and I joined to share good info. Plus I only started this thread because I was happy my CC finally arrived. It's probably their best selling product and I had to wait about a month. They were a lot different company when Scott was still there...

wink

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The one thing everyone has not mentioned is the 10 to 15 horsepower increase that happens with a catch can and I would imagine the clear bottom can might add an additional 5 to 10. :happy107:

No you have to put lots of decals on the cup to get the additional power. ;)

wink

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD

Not totally accurate!! All that BS comes with the CAI & Muffler swap! That owners spend 3X the amount on! The secret weapon of ad ons are normally the ridiculous 12-18" subs along with the High HP / Low Torque 4" cheap A$$ looking Bushwhacker fender flares: --->There is a very robust expensive ad on.

More Sound (Louder) = 15 / 37 HP & 12 / 22lbs of ft torque @ the rear wheels!

Just think Wink: You only wasted a little bit of $$ on the CC!
Be thankful you didn't spend all that extra $$$$ on those other expensive items! Just think had foolish you would have looked? :gathering:

Last edited:

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't recall anyone saying anything about engine longevity. The problem is performance will eventually suffer. I've poured some of that crap out and tried to light it. It doesn't burn very well. In fact it didn't burn at all.

wink

Wink: :happy107:

One thing you might think about is in the future adding hose clamps to all the hose connections. Helps keep any oily vapor from the engine bay!

Just a suggestion!

One thing:---->Most might say these are a waste of $$ & not necessary!
Well neither is Smoking / Dipping / Doing Drugs but millions do it every hour of every day & this CC is thousands of $$$ cheaper over a very short time!

I am not trying to ridicule anyone, just trying to understand the logic of saying a hemi needs this mod. How will performance suffer? I haven't seen Hemis with intake valve deposits, if valve deposits was an issue on Hemis and a catch can made a difference I would be all in.
The VW mentioned had underlying issues if intake sensors needed to be cleaned every 5K.
It may be possible it gives some benefit, I don't know, is there any proof it does anything but keep some oil residue out of the intake manifold? Is there any evidence the miniscule amount of residue that makes it into the combustion chamber has any ill effects (miniscule as related to how much air volume is pumped through an engine in say 5K miles)
The engineers that design these things are pretty smart, from a dealer techs. perspective, is see a lot more harm than good from customers modifying their trucks.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I for ONE have NEVER stated within these walls that every 5.7L NEEDS a CC!
After many months of my own research:---->I drew my OWN conclusions that for my 5.7L a CC is a very good investment! You-Tube had some very good actual videos of the pros of a CC.

I very seriously dought any member here cares enough to convince you or anyone else that a CC is necessary! It's basically individual preference nothing else.

I honestly feel a CAI is not necessary but I don't keep posting in CAI threads expressing my thoughts due to others don't give 3 $hits what I think nor would I expect them to. It's mostly personal preference.
Some owners whom have an A$$ load of mods a CAI just might help complete a total package.

Just for the Forum Record: I personally Never Accused you of Ridicule.

Just because others do it & you don't !!! Does not mean it's wrong.

wiggy999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would read up on the clear catch cans. I hope BT has re-engineered them because there were many complaints of warpage etc...

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just think Wink: You only wasted a little bit of $$ on the CC! Be thankful you didn't spend all that extra $$$$ on those other expensive items! Just think had foolish you would have looked? :gathering:

I'd classify it as crazy rather than foolish. I love going fast, so whatever it takes, I'm all over it. ;)

wink

Reactions: SyN

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you both for the information. OP, where did you purchase yours from? I would like to get the same one. Out of curiosity, what would happen if one never put one on in five years down the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it easy SYN I started into this thread answering the second part of this guys question with my opinion.
I don't go into threads looking to start arguments, but people come here looking for honest opinions, I gave mine.
I also don't continually go into catch can threads, so not sure what that was about.
I guess I also thought your quote below was aimed at me, accusing me of ridiculing and I think being stupid.

"It is much easier to ridicule & much more difficult to understand. Most take the easier route".

Last edited:
Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would read up on the clear catch cans. I hope BT has re-engineered them because there were many complaints of warpage etc...

Possibly the original clear can. It wasn't near as sturdy as the new ones. Though my original never exhibited any issues. It was fine until I got boost greedy and shredded the serp belt. It went Indiana Jones bullwhip on it. I'll have to search through my photos and see if I have any of the old style for comparison.

wink

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Quote:-->I also don't continually go into catch can threads, so not sure what that was about.

For the record: I never accused you of this!

Its all fine & dandy!
Everyone has his or her simple thoughts & opinions.
Some express theirs more then others & some have better things to do.

No hard feelings Yoda!
I do apologize if I offended.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not trying to ridicule anyone, just trying to understand the logic of saying a hemi needs this mod. How will performance suffer? I haven't seen Hemis with intake valve deposits, if valve deposits was an issue on Hemis and a catch can made a difference I would be all in.
The VW mentioned had underlying issues if intake sensors needed to be cleaned every 5K.
It may be possible it gives some benefit, I don't know, is there any proof it does anything but keep some oil residue out of the intake manifold? Is there any evidence the miniscule amount of residue that makes it into the combustion chamber has any ill effects (miniscule as related to how much air volume is pumped through an engine in say 5K miles)
The engineers that design these things are pretty smart, from a dealer techs. perspective, is see a lot more harm than good from customers modifying their trucks.

I don't think anyone is mad at anyone. I'm certainly not. However I have seen the things you say you haven't. Puddles of crud in intake manifolds. Most just run Seafoam to try and clean it up. I can say it varies from engine to engine. Possibly due to manufacturing tolerances. I've seen guys with around 2-3 times as much in the can as I usually have for the same mileage interval.

As to how performance can suffer. That's easy. The stuff doesn't burn well. It's getting mixed back into the air/fuel charge and will lower the octane. This can result in knock, which in turn tells the computer to pull timing to protect the engine. More timing, more power. Less timing, less power. I think everyone can agree on that. It could also foul plugs and lead to carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. That can lead to pre-ignition, which in turn leads to knock. Knock, detonation, pinging, whatever you prefer to call it is NOT good for any engine. Extreme knock will break pistons.

wink

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Quote:-->I also don't continually go into catch can threads, so not sure what that was about.

For the record: I never accused you of this!

Fair enough carry on fellas :)

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A decade ago I purchased Billet Technologies stuff for my 300. Love the quality, and they were a great company to deal with. I had the catch can in my 300, and will be getting the clear one for my Ram (didn't have clear a decade ago). Placebo effect or not, I think the catch can did well. Maybe it contributed to me squeezing 239k miles out of the 300.

IMG_2136_zps2u07wox1.jpg

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't think anyone is mad at anyone. I'm certainly not. However I have seen the things you say you haven't. Puddles of crud in intake manifolds. Most just run Seafoam to try and clean it up. I can say it varies from engine to engine. Possibly due to manufacturing tolerances. I've seen guys with around 2-3 times as much in the can as I usually have for the same mileage interval.

As to how performance can suffer. That's easy. The stuff doesn't burn well. It's getting mixed back into the air/fuel charge and will lower the octane. This can result in knock, which in turn tells the computer to pull timing to protect the engine. More timing, more power. Less timing, less power. I think everyone can agree on that. It could also foul plugs and lead to carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. That can lead to pre-ignition, which in turn leads to knock. Knock, detonation, pinging, whatever you prefer to call it is NOT good for any engine. Extreme knock will break pistons.

wink
Ok I was just going to let this go but, we will have to agree to disagree. I have seen oil in intake manifolds I do this for a living, I'm just not worried about.
There may some truth to the performance argument in theory, but in reality I don't think you could measure any performance gain, even long term with an atomic clock. Fouled plugs, carbon buildup, pre-ignition, broken pistons? Come on.
I worry more about being eaten by sharks, in Minnesota

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok I was just going to let this go but, we will have to agree to disagree. I have seen oil in intake manifolds I do this for a living, I'm just not worried about.
There may some truth to the performance argument in theory, but in reality I don't think you could measure any performance gain, even long term with an atomic clock. Fouled plugs, carbon buildup, pre-ignition, broken pistons? Come on.
I worry more about being eaten by sharks, in Minnesota

I said extreme knock will break pistons. Do you dispute this?

The others are possibilities, though techs I respect have seen it. I haven't. But the pulled timing is a reality. But you asked and I answered. I'm done with the debate on benefits. BTW, I used to do it for a living too, long time ago, but changed vocations due to physical disabilities. I can still do little things, but have to pay someone for the big jobs. Fortunately I found a shop I think is one of the best. All master certified techs with decades of experience in racing, and now building race cars. That's where the Jeep is undergoing extreme surgery right now.

wink

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Found some pics.

This is the old style clear cup...

OldCup.jpg

This is the new style, next to the stock billet cup...

NewStockCups.jpg

IIRC the old style was the same height as the billet cup.

wink

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio