first oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have about 550 miles on my 2014 ram hemi. I need to take a long road trip soon (about 2000 miles) and am wondering if i should change the oil before i go, when i get back or at 6000 miles like the dealer recommended? My concern is possible metal shavings from the break in period.

paton.h

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have about 550 miles on my 2014 ram hemi. I need to take a long road trip soon (about 2000 miles) and am wondering if i should change the oil before i go, when i get back or at 6000 miles like the dealer recommended? My concern is possible metal shavings from the break in period.

I would do it after the trip at 3k miles. Metal shavings from the new motor shouldn't be too big of an issue..but I change my oil at every 3k miles anyways.

Just my 2¢
:favorites13:

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I changed mine the first time at 2k. I don't think it will make a difference. I just did mine early just because that's what I used to do. You will be fine which ever way you decide.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Drop in some zinc and take that baby and change it when you get back. Any break in additive should be just a zinc treatment. Take apart the filter and look for metal, it is more common then people think, but generally not a big problem. The issue is most folks never know because they don't open their filters. If we all did, you would definitely see posts about metal shavings here and there. Consider running Royal Purple oil filters with that change, I haven't found anything better.

It would matter if you found metal shavings, then there would be things you would do different. Worry about that if you do see some.

Last edited:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Change it if you are worried.

Don't change it if you're not,,,,

Mama Mopar apparently isn't worried as they will warranty the engine if you follow the procedures/OCI's listed in the manual,,

So,,,

Are you worried?

OP
OP
bryan28

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright i think I'll do it at the recommended 6k or 6 month mark. Thanks for the replies.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 'short answer' is to do whatever makes you comfortable.

I used to change oil in new vehicles 'quite early'. Just seemed like everyone was doing it, and it seemed to make some sense,, kinda,,, (Most common reasoning was,,, and to this day,still is,,, flushing the engine of ~contaminants~,,,)

Oil filters and manufacturing processes are probably as good now as they ever were,,,

'Manufacturing debris' has probably done most of the damage it's going to do while the engine was run before the truck reached your Dealer.

'Wear particles' from break in are handled the same way any other ~contaminant~ is handled,,, If it's big enough to get caught in the filter, it's caught. If not, it's really not immensely different than any other day in your trucks life,,,

Dirt, brake dust,,, combustion by-products,,, Any of these can have 'an opportunity' to enter you oil,,, And just like when new,,, If it's not big enough to get caught by the filter,,, it's allowed to circulate until the next scheduled oil change without concern.

The point is, if you follow the break in procedures and O + F change intervals listed for your conditions*** in your manual, Mama Mopar is confident enough in her products that a 'new/flushing' oil change is not considered to be advantageous enough to include it as part of our vehicles maintenance procedures,,, and she'll still warranty the engine for 100k.

But, old habits die hard.

(*** Just like anything else, everyone's individual conditions can vary. 'Severe Service', aftermarket vehicle modifications, etc, all play a part in our maintenance schedules. Better to error on the 'safe side' than to push the limits, but there's also no reward in being wasteful. ,,, May we all someday have the ability to know the difference and to choose wisely.)

Last edited:

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
'Manufacturing debris' has probably done most of the damage it's going to do while the engine was run before the truck reached your Dealer.

+1. I got my truck straight from the factory and it still had 7 miles on the ODO before the dealer saw it.

soldiercowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l 4x4 Tradesman crew cab
I have a 2014 ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi and the book says before 8000 beings oil required is 0w40 full synthetic. My service guy recommended around 5000 so I goy mine changed twice now once by dealer (first one done free by dealer) 2nd one by myself both at 5000 miles. It runs great now metal shavings just kinda black LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk