First oil change, 7 quarts exactly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm doing the first oil change this weekend and I ordered 7 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 since it isn't available anywhere locally. Capacity shows 7 quarts...
Since I can't just go to the local store and buy another quart on demand, can anyone with experience oil changes on the 5.7 tell me how much you put in?

6 1/2? 7 exactly?

Thanks

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm doing the first oil change this weekend and I ordered 7 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 since it isn't available anywhere locally. Capacity shows 7 quarts...
Since I can't just go to the local store and buy another quart on demand, can anyone with experience oil changes on the 5.7 tell me how much you put in?

6 1/2? 7 exactly?

Thanks

Your owners manual should tell you the capacity, but IIRC it's around 6.5

sporty570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Pretty sure manual said 7.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Umm. I've been putting 7 and the oil level is perfect.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
7 with filter been that way since the 5.7L was introduced around 2003 or 2004. Final answer.
3e105b875d2d1a3febcadd29e8a58a52.jpg

Last edited:

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
If the engine oil heated to normal operating temperature above 210F and the engine is drained to a slow drip, the engine will take exactly 7 quarta with a new smaller size filter used in the the 2014 & up with the electric steering assembly.

Most shops both dealerships and fast oil change service stations will not take the time required to fully drain the engine, and usually overkill with 7 quartz or only use ~ 6-1/2 if properly measured by running running engine and let it sit for ten minutes without running before checking oil level.

The 5.7 V8 is a slow draining engine.

Take my RAM to dealer with own oil & filter and watch the drain until it goes to a small drip before allowing technician to install plug.

Mercstealth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is 7qts, and that ultra platinum stuff is really great. We had a rep from Penzoil stop down at the shop the other week and show us the difference even in their own lineup, starting from their bulk all that way up and its crazy.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just changed my oil (trucks 2nd oil change) this past weekend.

I ran the penzoil platinum full synthetic 5W20. I ran 7 quarts and it seemed good on the dip stick.

I must say, the motor feels real nice and smooth. Definitely felt like it was pulling a little harder after the oil change.

Gt23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l hemi
Any ideas on how to drain the old filter and redirect that oil flow. Did mine yesterday. Man what a freakin mess.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any ideas on how to drain the old filter and redirect that oil flow. Did mine yesterday. Man what a freakin mess.

I'll say it wasn't pretty, but not near as bad as the Acadia we traded in for the RAM. Now THAT was a freak'n mess. Oil dripped off hoses and misc parts you couldn't reach to clean for days on the garage floor.

Gt23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l hemi
Unscrew the filter a few turns then slide this rascal under the filter and finish unscrewing with the cup until the filter is loose. No mess!

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/filterglove/tools

Thanks. Is the size one size fits all?
So I unscrewed the filter, maybe half a turn. Let it drip for 5 minutes catching the oil with a rag. Then really unscrewed the filter and the gushing started. So much so the filter fell out of my hand onto the ground. ****. Lol.

I've heard some guys punch a hole in the filter let it drain then take it out. Has anyone done that, with success?

MikeEMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I've had pretty good success using a small aluminum basting pan from my local grocery store slid directly underneath the filter. It can rest on the lines and stuff there and allows you to just unscrew it and drain the majority out then carefully remove the filter and dump the rest in your drain pan.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
This little bugger works awesome if you are using the smaller filter the cup will hold all the oil. Just go slow as you pull the cup out with the filter in it. No need to put a hole in the filter. The cup will hold all the oil that is expelled out.

Just unscrew the filter maybe 1-2 turns with your wrench. The cup has grippers inside it that will help with turning the filter. Just press up with the cup against the filter and turn.

Once the filter is off you can either let the cup sit there until the dripping stops or you can wipe with a rag. Pretty much common sense. No mess!

Last edited:

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...I've heard some guys punch a hole in the filter let it drain then take it out. Has anyone done that, with success?

Personally I try to avoid making my oil filter into any kind of slicing device just prior to removal. I'd rather clean up oil than blood.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I just shape a piece of aluminum foil and raise the edges, then lower one side of it so it drains right into the pan below. Pretty simple....

Gt23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l hemi
What's normal oil temp I'm running at 99-100 C seems high.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio