First oil change questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I've got a 2017 Ram 1500 Hemi, just around 2200 miles so far on her.

WHEN do you guys suggest doing the first change? I could obviously go through the evic and just watch the oil life meter, however I do ALOT of short drives. My daily commute to work is only about 1.5 miles. So right off the bat I'm thinking because of that excessive wear I should step up to do changes sooner. On my previous 2013 jeep I just went by the gauge but it was a lease, this truck I own and want to baby her.

Furthermore I plan to do changes my self, this way I KNOW what is going in the truck. So suggest oil and a filter, I read through the big synthetic thread but honestly it is so much technical information. Thanks for any help guy!

MXM34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Switched to Full synthetic at 1k and will change every 6k

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So I've got a 2017 Ram 1500 Hemi, just around 2200 miles so far on her.

WHEN do you guys suggest doing the first change? I could obviously go through the evic and just watch the oil life meter, however I do ALOT of short drives. My daily commute to work is only about 1.5 miles. So right off the bat I'm thinking because of that excessive wear I should step up to do changes sooner. On my previous 2013 jeep I just went by the gauge but it was a lease, this truck I own and want to baby her.

Furthermore I plan to do changes my self, this way I KNOW what is going in the truck. So suggest oil and a filter, I read through the big synthetic thread but honestly it is so much technical information. Thanks for any help guy!

1000 to 1500 is probably about right for first one you do want to leave that initial oil in there a bit to make sure the engine breaks in nice and then ditch it as it will have left some metals and things in the filter.

Then buy a good filter Royal Purple or Fram Ultra with a good synthetic oil keep to normal brands no weird "wolfs blood" or off brands that may not be up to ***** and you will be fine. To me filter is probably more important and those two I suggested are phenomenal.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so i should get on this pretty soon then based off of what you guys are saying and get this oil changed up.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Smiley gives ya good advice.
I wouldn't keep that FF oil in there any longer the 2K mile mark.

You want too drain out all that oil that contains all those initial break in wear metals.
Then I would do the next 2 @ 5K miles.
Then if you desire--->Follow your OLM!

If you really never get your oil up to 190-210*F for 15-30 min?
I would stick with 5-6K mile OCIs.

If all else fails @ least once a week get that new Ram out on the highway for at least 15 mins with that oil @ 190° or higher . This will cook out all the carbon contaminants as well as evaporate any moisture that has built up in the oil with all the short trips.

What brands of synthetic oil do you have access to?

Any more questions on the matter feel free to post them in the synthetic oil thread! There are now more then a handful of us that would be more then glad to answer them! With NO Drama involved.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The forum has done a lot of work with experience and posting, the one thing I would suggest is an oil with molybdenum, Moly Basics. Most oils have it, m1 is on sale right now just started at Costco 26.99 for case of 6. Walmart has good prices on Penzoil Yellow Bottle and Penzoil Platinum. All three of those oils have moly. It is the only additive that protects lifter when they are dry at start-up. Like Smiley said, I'd get a synthetic filter, Royal Purple, Wix XP, Fram Ultra, Napa Platinum, Amsoil AE, any of these. See Syn thread if that Hemi gets loud and post questions, if not that should do ya. I'd get that oil out early, and I would look through it for metal and I'd cut the filter open and look at that as well. But I'm kinda a freak that way.

Didn't they change the oil life monitor clearing procedure? Someone give him the updated one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks so much guys, really helpful information and I'll read through more of the synthetic thread, it just gets so technical but it's good to know how thorough you all are and yet are willing to help out and answer the simpler questions a well!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might also do some research on a "catch can". There are NUMEROUS threads about them.
Jay

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thanks Pull Ya... because you know I really need things to spend MORE money on haha. Oil change and catch can coming up...

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I went with PYB for my first change at 1000 miles. Will go to PUP 5w20 at 4000.

I might mix a few qts of PUP 0w40 to bump the moly a tad.