Flowmaster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LURE1N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anybody running the FLOWMASTER Direct Fit muffler (part # 817568) on there Ram 1500's? If so, how is the fit, sound any performance gains!!

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i'd stay away from flow master, they rust like a mother... i'm from the south and we never have rust problems.

but magna flow does make a great muffler though, you see performance gains along with sound while flow master is just sound. i know this because on my old truck i had a super 40 series, and on my new truck i have a magna flow 18 inch muffler and love it, but to go to a place and get it done will run you about the same for both.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I installed that kit, have used Flowmaster forever. that kit is stainless so it wont rust, I have even used non stainless and never had one rust. I actually prefer the sound.

I liked the kit, installed it, had it a couple weeks and took it off and went back to stock. just because I actually liked the quiteness of it. It had a nice rumble, sounded great on the highway, no bad drone.
I'd thnk you'd like it. It was all bolt on, BUT the tip's didnt come out the bumper just correct. Simple bend and add, and my muffler guy had no issues.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I've read quickly, the muffler in that system is the same one I bought a month after I got my truck and I like it. I've always liked the flowmaster sound but unlike my old truck which ran an original 40 muffler, I didn't want to be loud and obnoxious so I went with the 50HD and I love it. You can barely hear the exhaust while cruising on the highway but whenever you step on the gas, she'll roar for ya. Had it on for over 2 years with no rust and who knows how long the original 40 was on my old truck but it had no rust.

tommyguns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i have been looking at the american thunder for my truck I love the sound and the look. Over all the ones I have seen/heard either online or in person the flow master imo is the best. What I am not a fan of is the price I think $650 is a little high for a muffler and pipes / tips. thats what has held me back so far.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
i have been looking at the american thunder for my truck I love the sound and the look. Over all the ones I have seen/heard either online or in person the flow master imo is the best. What I am not a fan of is the price I think $650 is a little high for a muffler and pipes / tips. thats what has held me back so far.

I've had the kit, and honestly, other than the stainless and the resonator delete, there is no changes...just swap the muffler and you'll be about the same in sound wise.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your just looking for sound, then youtube the different set ups and see which one sounds better. From what I gather, if you are looking for sound and performance or plan on modding your truck then there are better performing mufflers out there.

I personally think the magnaflow 14 with no resonators is the best sounding for these trucks.

tommyguns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
hmm thanks graygoose thats good to know. I have a single exhaust now so i would like to go to a dual ( I know its not a true dual but for now its fine). I like the sound my truck puts out but its all motor which in the cab sounds amazing but I think it is missing that roar from a nice exhaust. If what you are saying is that is does not change all that much from the stock then maybe I need to keep looking into it.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
well I mean the rear pipes, after the muffler. its not much difference than the stock. but the sound was far nicer....I just went back to stock, have had loud cars forever, decided i wanted a quite one for once :D

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
well I mean the rear pipes, after the muffler. its not much difference than the stock. but the sound was far nicer....I just went back to stock, have had loud cars forever, decided i wanted a quite one for once :D

i thought the same thing at first when i got my rt i will keep it quiet maybe add an electric cutout just for the fun but itll stay stock exhaust.. well that lasted about a week then a check engine came on i got the code and it was something for the exhaust so i get under to see if maybe i have a leak and i find out i bought a truck with arh long tubes already on it and i didnt even know!!!!! so that along with a 24" magnaflow was a surprise for me but seeing the longtubes and hearing how others sound with them and a 14" magnaflow i just couldnt resist and headed over to my exhaust guy and had him change out the mufflers lol