Forced Induction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15RamEXP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Starting to look into forced induction.

I looked into the pro charger kits.

Exploring turbo options. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Its expensive. supercharger is more predicable and linear, turbo is like a switch. Alot goes along with boost... tuning, injectors, engine upgrades (bottom end), gas octane, transmission upgrades etc.

6speeds barely handle stock power, 8spd can handle more but i dont think the tuning/upgrades are available fully yet. Your going to spend ALOT of money in the long run.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if i keep my truck long enough, i'll just transplant a hellcat drivetrain into my truck.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
As someone fairly experienced with boosted hemis, there are a few routes to go and cost will depend on how you want to do it. The stock bottom end will handle 6-7psi of boost all day, every day. This is with a stock fuel pump and a mild injector upgrade which would come with any complete kit that you buy. Since you have a '15 you will need a programmer and PCM which again can come with any complete kit you buy. I have seen 8-10psi on a stock bottom end tuned for water/methanol injection and as long as that reservoir stayed full it didn't have any issues, any higher on the boost and you're praying the rings don't touch. I'm still on the same forged 349 block I started with 4 years ago and I'm now running 17psi.

The 8 speed will handle 6-7psi with ease, it's rated input torque is 516ft-lb so you have quite a bit of room to work with since most supercharger kits will get you 450-475hp to the wheels on 6-7psi. If you stay happy with that power level then you won't have any other major expenses unless something breaks. All the kits come with their tuning package but it's a very good idea to get a custom tune from a tuner that has a history with boosted hemis, they are an annoying platform to tune but HPTuners has made huge changes to that in the past year with awesome engine parameter capability and they also have 8-speed transmission tuning capability now.

The real costs start adding up when you want more power; that's when you're looking at forged pistons and rods, fuel pump upgrade, smaller blower pulley, larger crank pulley, new head units, belt slippage, snapping control arms, frustration, designing and building a custom cog drive, blowing transmissions, swapping transmissions, bliss when you set your truck on fire and laugh as it burns ... I'm at the last step if you haven't figured it out yet, lol.

For superchargers, think about what kind of driving you plan to do: if it's mostly in-city driving then I'd look at the magnuson or edelbrock positive displacement blowers. if it's mostly highway or street/strip then the procharger is the way to go. I put it like that because the PD blowers have much lower torque RPMs and are better around the town but don't have the upgrade-ability that you get with the prochargers. I started with a P1SC, went to a D1SC, went small pulley D1SC, and now I'm a F-1A and all will fit into the same brackets. I also have a much cooler air charge than any PD blower will unless you run water/methanol injection.

Turbo(s) are harder to tune and they will be a custom fabrication which can increase costs over superchargers unless you can weld everything up yourself. The upgrade-ability on turbos is even better than Procharger but you still run into the hard wall of when the bottom end needs to be looked at.

Last edited:

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So say you have a 6" lift with 35's and it's your daily driver with a 1/2 city 1/2 freeway commute. Would you say go with the PD blower setup and leave the setup stock or maybe 8-10psi? Truck is a 2009 545RFE btw :)

I do tow and play in the mud all winter. Looking to have the power to spin the 35's and tow whatever I want while also being able to get out of mud holes and cruise around town when I want to :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
So say you have a 6" lift with 35's and it's your daily driver with a 1/2 city 1/2 freeway commute. Would you say go with the PD blower setup and leave the setup stock or maybe 8-10psi? Truck is a 2009 545RFE btw :)

I do tow and play in the mud all winter. Looking to have the power to spin the 35's and tow whatever I want while also being able to get out of mud holes and cruise around town when I want to :)

The 545rfe is the death knell to running a PD blower. You will be making boost before the trans has been able to generate any significant line pressure and you'll blow through clutch packs in a year and if it's on the highway you can't just step on it and let it downshift, you have to manually downshift before flooring it or you'll be leaving pieces of the OD drum laying on the bottom of the tranny pan.

If you're going to throw a blower on it go with a centrifugal blower but if you're playing in mud a supercharger isn't the best option to begin with.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
The 8 speed will handle 6-7psi with ease, it's rated input torque is 516ft-lb so you have quite a bit of room to work with since most supercharger kits will get you 450-475hp to the wheels on 6-7psi.

On 6-7 psi, roughly what is the torque going into the trans? I'm also considering supercharger, but undecided if I should do that or full bolt ons instead.

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So for fun in the mud, towing, general fun with burnouts and such I am guessing FBO, Stall, Gears?

I am almost there :)

A PD blower would just be so much fun :)

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
On 6-7 psi, roughly what is the torque going into the trans? I'm also considering supercharger, but undecided if I should do that or full bolt ons instead.

Most kits between 6-7psi are putting 475-500 to the trans. The E-force numbers are 421/416 and even if you go on the high end at 20% drivetrain loss you're seeing 500ft-lb. there are cars with the same 8 speed that are making 600rwhp through the stock trans so the trans is one of the few things I'd actually be worried about with a supercharger.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
So for fun in the mud, towing, general fun with burnouts and such I am guessing FBO, Stall, Gears?

I am almost there :)

A PD blower would just be so much fun :)

Fun, absolutely, until it breaks. I would go torque cam, 2800 stall, and FBO.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm certainly very happy with my Procharger :waytogo:

The really awesome thing about forced induction is that every additional mod you do afterwards is much more noticeable than when N/A modding.

This weekend I'm going to get an updated Dyno run done on the truck after some ARH long tubes were installed and some transmission tuning and I bet it will be over 540HP at the wheels, which would be around 600HP or more at the crank.

I'm planning on videoing this dyno run this time to show everyone, since the truck sounds so bad ass now and pulls through the gears so hard and fast now after the headers and transmission tuning. It's a freaking beast now!

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
15RamExpress, what rear end gears are you running with those 35s? I think even with the 8 speed, if you're hung with 3.21s and 35" tires, you're ******* in the wind.

If l had 35s, l would be on 4.10s at least. 4.56s would be better yet.

Having said that, l have a Procharger on a V6 Mustang, and I love it. But l have low gears, a tranny that will handle it, and an aluminum drive shaft.

Good luck, buddy. Keep us posted.

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
**Sorry had to chime in with mine too** :)

2009 with 3.92's and 4.56 is the plan. 5spd week link. :(

2800 to 3000 stall when I get the chance to pull the tranny and also a new flex plate.

Captain_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Op, what are you using the truck for and what is your ultimate goal? Answer those questions and then go talk to a reputable shop. Be prepared to spend money. A lot of it. Boost isn't cheap. If you haven't exhausted the N/A limits of the engine, why bother slapping a supercharger or turbo on it? Power adders surpass the limits of the stock rotating assembly, valve train, and/or drive train quickly (i.e. break stuff).

Cheap, fast, reliable. You only get to pick two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lower gears should reduce the stress, put on the transmission.

Just my humble opinion, but gears are the cornerstone you build upon. That is especially true with the 5/6 speed.

Over all, on average it seems that the guys with the 8/3.92 seem more satisfied than the guys with the 8/3.21 set-up.

Rambutan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the stock transmission safe if I watch the gauge and don't overheat it? or it breaks on quick acceleration?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Is the stock transmission safe if I watch the gauge and don't overheat it? or it breaks on quick acceleration?

If you have the 8 speed trans then you're fine up to about 550rwhp with no reported failures at that level. The 5/6 speed is a different story but your year shouldn't have a 6 speed unless it's from Canada where you can still get them with a 6 speed.

Rambutan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
is the supercharged 3.21 a lot faster than 3.92?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
is the supercharged 3.21 a lot faster than 3.92?

Faster, yes; quicker, no. The 3.21 will allow you a higher top speed over the 3.92s but the 3.92 will have more torque off the line and you'll have a lower ET and 60ft if you can hook.

Rambutan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Faster, yes; quicker, no. The 3.21 will allow you a higher top speed over the 3.92s but the 3.92 will have more torque off the line and you'll have a lower ET and 60ft if you can hook.

Do you mean even if the 3.92 isn't supercharged it's still quicker than a 3.21 supercharged? Thanks! your reply saved me a lot of money, I wan't quicker LOL