Fuel Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

I got a 2017 Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi and 6 speed automatic transmission. I was looking for some better fuel mileage and am looking into CAI's. I was wondering if you guys had any opinions between AFE and KN?

Also, if you guys have any other suggestions for better fuel mileage that would be great. And before anyone gets started, I don't drive with a heavy foot, I am just looking to improve mileage a bit. Every penny counts.

Thanks!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The stock air box does not restrict enough to lower mpg at highway rpms. That being said, thats a pretty intake!

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure you will see any improvement in mpg with cai. Engine is still computer controlled.

THIS!

CAI do nothing for a stock truck on a stock tune. The magical 14:1 ratio of fuel and air are controlled by the computer.

Don't waste your hard earned money on a CAI that will do nothing but make your truck sound a bit cooler from inside the cab.

OP
OP
2001ram1500

2001ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
THIS!

CAI do nothing for a stock truck on a stock tune. The magical 14:1 ratio of fuel and air are controlled by the computer.

Don't waste your hard earned money on a CAI that will do nothing but make your truck sound a bit cooler from inside the cab.

What would you recommend for tunes or tuners then? I have tried looking around the internet for programmers but it doesn't seem like they have anything out yet that can change mileage, all I've seen is programmers that just allow you to change tire size and whatnot.

Thanks!

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get a tuner from Moe’s and a custom tune from HemiFever, which can be included in the package. Went through your process exactly and the tuner gave me the best improvement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About the only things you can do is run synthetic oil, make sure tires properly inflated, make sure air filter is clean. Sure you can get a tuner but after you figure the cost of the tuner have you really saved any money? Pretty much you got what you got. Most don't get a tune for fuel mileage, most tunes aren't good for mileage, whether its the tune or the heavy foot that plays with the tune.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also consider your warranty. Don't know how new your ram is, congrats btw, might want to break it on before you start engine mods.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reports of MPG increases are anecdotal at best, can't say that I've seen definitive proof. many report gains, but how close are they checking before and after? How are they checking 0 the EVIC, or hand calc? Tonneu covers also seem to be iffy.

Train yourself to drive carefully, and watch for the fuel saver or eco light is the easiest/quickest gain. Synthetics in the engine, trans and rear end help.

CAI with a free flowing exhaust may help, but I'm not sure the system wouldn't compensate eventually, a custom tune might be needed. In the end, are you chasing the MPG number or looking to save money?

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good point above. Me personally I’m chasing the MPG number - if you get a CAI, exhaust system and a custom tune you’re sitting around anywhere from $1,000-1,500. You’ll have to drive many miles to break even on that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear you. No one thinks anything of someone chasing an HP or Tq number, but chasing an MPG number and you get a lot of "get a prius", or "it's a TRUCK, it's not supposed to get good mileage".

Saying you have a 500hp force inducted engine is a source of pride for some people. Being able to say I'm getting 18-19 mpg mixed driving would be something I'd enjoy, even if I've spent more than I'll ever recover from it. It's just another performance number to chase. Its just not a "glamorous" as HP.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I got my tonneau cover I noticed around .25 mpg increase. Leveled my truck and lost .75 mpg but part of that is the lead foot. I swapped my muffler for the carven and again lost about .25 mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 5.7 2500 and the big difference for me was a simple catback exhaust from MBRP and a BullyDog GT Tuner set to economy. 5w20 and a clean air filter.
I went from 23.5L/100km to 17L/100km in the city. That is after I got rid of the heavy foot because of the new exhaust.

But towing was marginal. I just got back from a couple 10hr days towing roughly 6-7000lbs.
Last year I did the same trip with a similar payload(4-5000lbs) and on my latest trip I was seeing better numbers. But marginal. If I had the same payload I'd be able to clarify and quantify my numbers better.

What I found was that I fought the transmission a lot more on this trip with the tune I had programmed in there. I'll have to figure some things out for when I'm loaded down. Find a tune I like that will keep shift points where I expect them to be etc.

In the end, I'm very satisfied with my upgrades. The $1100CND I paid will be covered in the first year of fuel costs if I continue to drive it as is. Last year I spent roughly 4k in fuel. This year I'm on par for 3k. I'm happy.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good for you, nice to hear that it worked. I've been considering the exhaust, mostly because I have the dreaded exhaust tick, and I've heard tell that headers will solve the problem of broken bolts permanently.

Honestly, when towing, I'm not as concerned about mpg. Sure I want to get the best, but you're saying you "fought the transmission" sounds like going with a different canned tune or tow/haul mode might have been easier? We're looking at getting a small/mid size travel trailer, so I'm interested in your results.

IIRC, the 2500 didn't have MDS? What kind of gears do you have?

Reeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine doesn't have MDS no. I have 4.10's.
If I could have afforded long tube headers I would have swapped them all at once. Instead I just replaced gaskets and the broken studs instead. Looking back I wish I had the money to do headers. 20+ft/lbs of torque at 2100rpm would be great. How that quantifies to real world application I have no idea.

The tune I have is the basic economy/tow tune from BD so that will have to get looked at.
As for tow/haul. It still changes gears as it sees fit under acceleration in my truck. I try to stick it in 4th and it's still shifting up and down regardless of my input. That's why I want to play around with some different transmission tunes.

With that being said, my heaviest haul normally is a deck and a couple sleds. Hardly ever will I tie a 2-place sled trailer behind that. So my payload goes from 2000lbs to 4000lbs at most usually. Just so happened I pulled more last weekend.