Fuel System Cleaner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello All,

Just wanted to share my experience with a fuel system cleaner which actually works, and works well.

Last spring I started noticing longer crank times with my RAM on cool mornings. I mentioned it to my dealer while in for an oil change and they didn't find anything to explain it. I ran some Seafoam through it but it didn't really help. Then, I don't recall where (maybe here), some mentioned Red Line fuel system cleaner.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPI5Z0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

About 6 months ago I ran my truck down to about 1/3 tank and added a whole bottle. Since then my truck has started first crank ever time.

A month or two later my wife said her Impala was 'running funny', several times at lights it hesitated like it was going to stall. I ran a bottle of Red Line through 1/2 tank of gas and it's run perfectly since then.

I was then having issues with my portable generator stalling out. Before I pulled the plug to check it I decided to run some Red Line through it. Well, a few weeks ago it powered my house and then my neighbor's house for 2 days without stalling once. I now add a little Red Line to each tank of gas.

Last week my son told me his CEL was back on his Tacoma (we already cleared it once). I looked up the code and it was a emissions code which could be o2 sensor, CATs, etc. I already replaced all of those 50k miles ago so I added 1/2 bottle of Red Line to his 1/4 tank of gas. Knock on wood, CEL has not come back on.

So, if you are looking for something that works, go with Red Line!

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Congratulations with your success with an amazing fuel system cleaner.

When used properly and at the correct dosage sometimes a little more does not ever hurt. It will do an amazing job cleaning your entire fuel system.
As you well stated sometimes it will make the check engine lights go away.

I myself have been using this product for the last few years in all the family auto's. My dosage has been one bottle then fill the tank to a half level. Then drive until there's about an eighth of a tank left then fill up completely with fresh fuel.

Once again congratulations with Redline SI-1!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Research PEA (polyether amine) fuel cleaners, I'm with you, I think Redline is the best, but Amsoil is very close as well. I use 1/2 a bottle every tank. I will say that price is a little much, I get them in 6 packs for under 10 bucks per bottle. I'm looking forward to pulling my plugs soon to see the long term use of this, until then I have nothing to add. PEA cleaners get the injectors, that is what makes them so good. But it takes long term use if you want the combustion chamber clean, but if you use sea foam correctly, it will do a yeoman's job at getting the combustion chamber clean in one application. Thanks for the detailed review, do a search if you like this subject has been covered if you want to see other peoples experience and youtubes on it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Chris Fix, is the youtube guy who uses a boroscope to test fuel cleaners. More so then all of the white papers out there, it is cool to see an average joe show you results.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Nice.... I just ordered a case of 12 15 oz bottles for 112.81 so about $9.33 a bottle. Gonna run a bottle a month through the truck to clean things up...also maybe a seafoam as Burla recommended. Burla how do you recommend using the sea foam to get the best results?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I said Sea Foam is the best way to clean the combustion chamber quickly, I don't necessarily think that is a good idea. If you have 12 bottles of Redline s1, I would be comfortable with that, long term slowly cleaning everything. As for the effective way for sea foam to work, you need to use the vacuum lines that goes to all 8 cylinders, I believe the brake vacuum line, I'm not sure are some guys using the throttle body? And most importantly, do not use the entire can, use 1/3 of it. I'm sure there are youtubes on it, I have never personally used it.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I said Sea Foam is the best way to clean the combustion chamber quickly, I don't necessarily think that is a good idea. If you have 12 bottles of Redline s1, I would be comfortable with that, long term slowly cleaning everything. As for the effective way for sea foam to work, you need to use the vacuum lines that goes to all 8 cylinders, I believe the brake vacuum line, I'm not sure are some guys using the throttle body? And most importantly, do not use the entire can, use 1/3 of it. I'm sure there are youtubes on it, I have never personally used it.

Gotcha...I am comfortable with just using the redline over time...like I posted will run one bottle a month... do you recommend using 15oz at once or 1/2 and 1/2...I usually run about 3 tanks a month...I drive about 8000 miles per year.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This guy is Burla approved for sure, they have a newer process that is less risky. There is your sea foam video.

I do 1/2 bottle Redline s1 per tank, I'm not sure what is the recommended dose, that is just what I do.

dano66

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
STOP being cheap on the the "type" of fuel you are filling your Ram with. IMHO Shell premium fuel is the best.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
This guy is Burla approved for sure, they have a newer process that is less risky. There is your sea foam video.

lol...I have seen that video before...I like how he scopes
The cylinders afterwards...so spray some sea foam right in through the throttle body....with the attachment hose while running...I run an S&B CAI so there is a silicone connector hose just above the throttle body....so I can spray just as he did in video to clean out intake and combustion chamber.

dano66

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Burla, which fuel /octane do you use?

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I run 93 as I am hemifevered tuned for 93

dano66

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"hemifevered" is the best!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I used to use Chevron 89, but since I've been using Redline s1, I have been using Costco 91. I would prefer if Costco had 89, but they only have 91 and 87. Costco is like 40 cents a gallon cheaper religiously and is top tier gas, so that is what i'm doing. I have the stock tune, just haven't gotten around to tuning it but all my buds say I should get it hemifever tuned.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I believe you are right Dano, Shell is probably the best gas. I think about the thing Syn posted a while back, but I also think Chevron is close. They just use different detergents, but they are very high detergency. But, if you add a bottle of S1, you will make any gas high detergency as well. I justify my expense of Redline s1 because I save the cost of using s1 every tank by using costco, plus costco is designated top tier.

dano66

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have a "tune" on my Ram 1500, but what i can tell you is this..... my vehicles including all my direct injected engines, ALWAYS perform best with a top tier PREMIUM FUEL. IMHO it pays to use this type fuel. NO CORN! LOL....

dano66

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Burla, I do believe that REDLINE makes awesome products, but im just saying as far as fuel is concerned it is more cut and dry then like say..... OIL.. lol. I have had a lot of vehicles/experience,.. and not a single one of them have had a issue with a TOP TIER fuel. Shell Premium is just more convenient for me

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
STOP being cheap on the the "type" of fuel you are filling your Ram with. IMHO Shell premium fuel is the best.

i agree with using top teir gas, but why would anyone not running a tune use premium in a hemi?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
stock tune is 89.