Fuel system cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Bosshog, in a perfect world, you would be 100% correct. In fact, you may be 100% correct, but there is top tier gas and then the others. I guess that means some gas exceeds the minimum standards. All I can say is that using techron twice a year hasn't hurt anything and maybe it has helped. It's not costly, so the worst case scenario is that I waste 10 bucks a year. Like a catch can, does it help keep things clean ? I think it has to judging by the contents I empty. Was it a waste of dollars ? Possibly, but it won't hurt hurt anything. So far on my 11 ram, traded at only 60000 miles, no fuel system issues. Hoping for the same on my 16. Wife's 04 grand Cherokee limited, no issues at all used techron as x2 per year. No catch can. Went 230000 miles without issues. No doubt she always used the cheapest fuel she could find.

This whole concept of referring to fuel quality as top tiers is horse bull. Refineries refine the gasoline which is pushed out on pipelines to local distributors. Refineries do not make a good gas followed up by a not so good gas. The terminals add the required additives and any brand specific additives and then make the retail delivery. I'm not claiming some of the off-brand station owners may be or are dishonest but I've seen the news before about station owners. So top tiers are not about the quality of fuel but about national brand name recognition and their cocktail of additives.

Costco is the oddball, they add their additives at the pump.

I've used nothing to treat my gas and like I said before, 10 years and 300,000 on my 2003 Taho before I replaced it with my 2013 RAM. All I did to it was scheduled maintenance. The guy I sold it to is still driving it. I think rust will claim it before the driveline does.

Before someone gets their panties in a knot claiming my opinion or whatever else they like to use to suggest discredit. This is common knowledge easily researched. Or, go the History channel and look up and watch the episode on refineries.

Like the owners' manual said, it is not needed, typically, and is an unnecessary expense.

You can not judge the benefit of a catch-can based on what you empty from it. What comes out of the PVC is a vapor, the catch-can simply condenses the vapor to a liquid. If the vapor was allowed to go back into the intake, it would have been burned.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only fuel additive I would co sister running is the aces5. I really want to try it out, just haven't brought my self to spring for it.