Funny stories when DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm trying to make light of a situation that plagues me every oil change for my 2012 ram hemi. It's the damn f'ing location of the oil filter. It's just horrible.

So this past weekend I aimed to perform my 3rd oil change on my ram. I've had it for almost 4 years and I have never done any Do it yourself projects with cars, so I am determined to just learn the in's and out of working on my truck, and that starts with the simple task of changing the oil. Got to learn somewhere, right.

So earlier in the day (this past saterday), I changed the oil for my loving girlfriend's 2012 ford escape. Oil filter is right in the perfect spot in the front..no restrictions to access it, and draining the oil and replacing the filter was piece of cake. 15 min job, including finished drinking my corona. I knew that my ram, was going to be a bear, so I pushed it until after her suv.

On to the ram. Knowing that the oil filter was right above the steering arms and higher up. I knew that oil was going to be everywhere. I gently place some aluminum foil around areas so **** doesn't get messy for me. Apparently. It doesn't matter, because the oil filter itself just didn't want to come off even though I hand tighten it (I'm guessing just a little past after you feel resistance) and the ***** didn't come off. Sat there for 20 mins trying to pull that **** off, and it didn't happen. So I had to go to the auto store to buy an oil filter wrench, came back and finally loosen it up just a tad so I can get my hand in there. Finally with rubber gloves on I finally turned it so the oil spilled all over the ******* place..down my arm, on my shirt, in my face...just everywhere, even after I took precautions on where it was going to go. That location of the filter is just brutal.

So that was my long ass story when trying to DIY. You can laugh now...but i invite you to post your own DIY story...it could be any auto (different makes and models are welcome)

P.S. to make amends for all of it, after the oil change, I replaced my radio head unit to something nicer. Also, I don't mind if this become a general repair funny story and the thread needs to be moved outside of the engine topic. I'm just putting it here because of the oil change situation.

So what's your funny situation when working on your truck?

**Truck name: Rampage**

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kinda a funny one for me but maybe just stupidity. So I decided to change my Tstat to a 180. So I put my airride up all the way and was still not able to get the bucket under the truck without tipping it sideways. I wanted to save the coolant as I only have 1200mi on the new truck and wanted to re-use it. So I came up with a brilliant idea. I took a piece of tubing about 5 ft long from the extra tubing I have for my RO/DI water system. I took off the radiator cap and stuck the hose all the way to the bottom of the radiator. Got a little siphon going and drained it into the bucket. Must have pulled more than a gallon out. I was quite proud of myself. Took off the Tstat housing and not a drop of coolant got on the engine. I was expecting some to come out but I guess my slow siphon got more out of the engine than I thought. So I swapped the tstat and bolted it back together. I was extra proud of myself at this point. First time ever changing a tstat without getting coolant on the engine. So went and got my funnel I have for coolant and grabbed the bucket and started to refill. Wouldn't you know it the damn funnel fell out when I was filling and got that nasty soy sauce smelling coolant all over the radiator and my frame and hoses. Needless to say the good feeling was gone and I just wanted to kick my own self in the ass.

Blackout15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
May I make a suggestion on the oil change? Please keep in mind I've yet to change the oil on this beast myself of really roll around on the ground under it yet. Is the oil filter in a spot that u can get an awl to it to poke a hole in the bottom of the filter to get the oil out of it?

Back when laying on concrete didn't leave me so soar I'd drain the oil first then use the awl method and a can, or funnel down to my drain pan to catch the oil from the filter and then slowly loosen the filter a little bit at a time to relieve the pressure and increase the flow from the hole I just made... I will be rolling around on the ground when I get home now to see if that's a viable option lol

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
Dune Buggy

Idk if this is funny but my brother sure thought it was. I had jacked up our dune buggy off the ground which only weighed about 500lbs, it was fairly small. I was working on welding an exhaust bracket back on. I was laying under it and I scooted over bumping one of the jack stands, the whole thing fell on my chest and the chain dug into my face leaving me a complete mess of blood and pinned to the floor. Thankfully my brother and a friend were right there to get it off of me. This is due to a lack of thinking, or in other words being dumb and unaware.