Garbage freeway fuel econ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Past few months I have noticed my mpg in the trash! Cruise control set at 70 on flat ground I'm getting 11-13, where I used to get 14-17. Engine seems to struggle to stay to speed while in 6th. Truck seems to produce power alright when giving it throttle, no hesitation not worried about not making a merge or what ever on free way, it's just when crusing. Truck does fine in city, and idles very very smooth.

According to evic i am at 203 coolant temp while on highway. (Oil reads -43) for some reason the 4.7 doesn't report oil temp. Trans temp at 153.

Ambient has been 80-105

I have used half a can of seafoam through intake (spray version). Cleaned air filter, put oem air hat back on, put a full can of seafoam in gas tank. Upper set of plugs have been done 10k miles ago, all fluids on drive line have been flushed or changed. I take great care of my vehicles so almost everything required has been done. I do see a lot of oil mist in the intake manifold, but catch can will fail can smog.... Few things I think are causing, the oil soaked manifold, or when I was loosing my job I used only Safeway gas for about 4 months straight, so maybe the injectors are dirty... Some have mentioned pcv being plugged, and egr being plugged. Gotta pull the pcv valve and clean it, just don't wanna break anything pulling it off. If anyone could steer me in the right direction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Is the tc locking when cruising? Have you checked you brakes and callipers ?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the ecu doesn't see the oil temp it might be thrown off and dump more fuel than it should?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the ecu doesn't see the oil temp it might be thrown off and dump more fuel than it should?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
IDK if the ecu isn't detecting or not, I would think it would through a CEL. But on the evic and on my headunit (idatalink OE gauge page) read null. Evic will defualt to coolant temp once coolant is above 100*. scan gauge and headunit will read the null number of -43.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This was my my commute to work today, which is mixed flat and 2 hills21db1945b3d416cef800e35d3cf89e24.jpg

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tc= transfer case?

No what should I look for?

I think he meant torque converter.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Here in N Florida, our fuel the last 2 months has been crap! Everyone I speak to is down on fuel economy and a number of them are reporting drivability issues too. Doesn't matter what make of vehicle or motorcycle, many of us here have noticed the change.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here in N Florida, our fuel the last 2 months has been crap! Everyone I speak to is down on fuel economy and a number of them are reporting drivability issues too. Doesn't matter what make of vehicle or motorcycle, many of us here have noticed the change.

I 2nd that, could be crappy fuel. I'm getting the same mpg as last summer. However, I put in a tuner, exhaust and CAI a couple months ago and gained 1mpg, so definitely not getting the mpg I was last year under the same weather conditions.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But then I should be noticing this crap fuel economy in my dart, and the dart is dead on what the EPA rates it at. I'm getting 28-29 mixed.

I guess I could run quality gas for the next few tanks see if anything improves. Also going to plug in my scan gauge and have it also read out fuel economy to see if evic is close or if there is something wrong with the calculation.

I'm intrigued to know what could be up with torque converter... I figured if the intake manifold was to blame(because oil build up), the truck wouldn't be running good period.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But then I should be noticing this crap fuel economy in my dart, and the dart is dead on what the EPA rates it at. I'm getting 28-29 mixed.

I guess I could run quality gas for the next few tanks see if anything improves. Also going to plug in my scan gauge and have it also read out fuel economy to see if evic is close or if there is something wrong with the calculation.

I'm intrigued to know what could be up with torque converter... I figured if the intake manifold was to blame(because oil build up), the truck wouldn't be running good period.

I believe your scan tool and evic will read the same since its getting the same info from the computer. You would be better off doing a hand calculation to get the most accurate gas mileage. I made a simple google sheets (excel) that i can access offline on my phone that I just put the date, odometer, price/gal and it gives me a whole bunch of nerdy info. My evic says I get 15.1 on highway but hand-calced showed an adjusted 17.8 but this is in part to my larger tires and un-adjusted speedometer (I have the conversion in the equation to adjust for large tire size for summer and revert back to stock equation for winter tires)

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe your scan tool and evic will read the same since its getting the same info from the computer. You would be better off doing a hand calculation to get the most accurate gas mileage. I made a simple google sheets (excel) that i can access offline on my phone that I just put the date, odometer, price/gal and it gives me a whole bunch of nerdy info. My evic says I get 15.1 on highway but hand-calced showed an adjusted 17.8 but this is in part to my larger tires and un-adjusted speedometer (I have the conversion in the equation to adjust for large tire size for summer and revert back to stock equation for winter tires)
Probably right, never hand calculated it, I'll do that next time I fill up, but I will fill up with Chevron or she'll next time...

Another thing I was thinking, with my new commute I'm driving the dart alot more. The truck sits alot during the week, I'm wondering if that is effecting anything

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Past few months I have noticed my mpg in the trash! Cruise control set at 70 on flat ground I'm getting 11-13, where I used to get 14-17. Engine seems to struggle to stay to speed while in 6th. Truck seems to produce power alright when giving it throttle, no hesitation not worried about not making a merge or what ever on free way, it's just when crusing. Truck does fine in city, and idles very very smooth.

According to evic i am at 203 coolant temp while on highway. (Oil reads -43) for some reason the 4.7 doesn't report oil temp. Trans temp at 153.

Ambient has been 80-105

I have used half a can of seafoam through intake (spray version). Cleaned air filter, put oem air hat back on, put a full can of seafoam in gas tank. Upper set of plugs have been done 10k miles ago, all fluids on drive line have been flushed or changed. I take great care of my vehicles so almost everything required has been done. I do see a lot of oil mist in the intake manifold, but catch can will fail can smog.... Few things I think are causing, the oil soaked manifold, or when I was loosing my job I used only Safeway gas for about 4 months straight, so maybe the injectors are dirty... Some have mentioned pcv being plugged, and egr being plugged. Gotta pull the pcv valve and clean it, just don't wanna break anything pulling it off. If anyone could steer me in the right direction.

It might be you started in the right direction but didn't finish--you didn't follow full seafoam treatment instructions, its 1 oz per gallon of gas (I have 32 gallon tank, so two 16 oz cans for me). If you were using crap gas for four months that might be the culprit, and the intake cleaning is supposed to be a full can in the intake with a 15 min soak before restart and purge.
If you are seeing an oily intake you may want to remove your throttle body and clean it using a rag with brake cleaner (never spray, and not TB cleaner). Be gentle replacing TB so as not to strip your manifold threads.

What about the other set of plugs? If they're old that could be an issue too.

What condition are your plug wires in? Any inadvertently make contact with yoru exhaust manifold?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It might be you started in the right direction but didn't finish--you didn't follow full seafoam treatment instructions, its 1 oz per gallon of gas (I have 32 gallon tank, so two 16 oz cans for me). If you were using crap gas for four months that might be the culprit, and the intake cleaning is supposed to be a full can in the intake with a 15 min soak before restart and purge.
If you are seeing an oily intake you may want to remove your throttle body and clean it using a rag with brake cleaner (never spray, and not TB cleaner). Be gentle replacing TB so as not to strip your manifold threads.

What about the other set of plugs? If they're old that could be an issue too.
Alright I have another can of seafoam that I was going to run through the vac line, but I'll dump in gas tank. I'll run good gas for a bit and see if it changes at all. I never understood why cleaning the oil residue off the TB helps fuel economy if you don't mind explaining. Also the lower plugs are to be done at 100k

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have no idea, how would I know, and what do I want to happen?

When cruising on the hwy, look for fluctuations in the RPM , such as the needle bouncing. You should have a slipping feel if this is the issue.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it noticable while driving or noticable just by looking at tac?

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Your TB controls admission of air to support combustion. Its fly by wire so PCM can be thrown off when response is lagging.

If TB is varnished, the butterfly can stick. Typically effects acceleration, but could also hang up on deceleration. Not saying this is the only issue, just something DIY you can eliminate that may be a contributing factor.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Is it noticable while driving or noticable just by looking at tac?

depends on how extreme the condition is, but i would say both, feels like a loss of drive power, sometimes settle and very brief sometimes very obvious. again on the tack some times just a small increase in RpM, sometimes a big jump.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
depends on how extreme the condition is, but i would say both, feels like a loss of drive power, sometimes settle and very brief sometimes very obvious. again on the tack some times just a small increase in RpM, sometimes a big jump.
Sounds good, I'll be aware.

I have been researching, is it possible the o2 sensors are starting to fail?