Gas cap light and CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You've had more than your fair share of problems. I hope you get it resolved for good this time. Good luck
Jay

Goose_1327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, reviving this one unfortunately... After 6 months/7k miles of having no issues, I pulled my Superchips and installed a Diablo. First turn of the ignition and the gas light came on and after a few key cycles the cel is back.

Coincidence? I'll report back once I figure out the culprit.

So I decided to put some vaseline on the cap. On the first drive after that the gas light went off within the first 20 miles. About 300 miles the CEL went out. Issue gone.

I went ahead and pulled the CEL. P0456: Evap emission system leak (very small). Didn't bother to reset the code because I wanted to see if the truck would recognize the fix.

Conclusion: I need a new gas cap and tether. But, I'll ride out the vaseline for now!

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I a have a great Dodge guy who is also a Star Smog station. We go to him when we need repairs that are over our pay scale. My 03 Ram 1500 5.7 started setting that code at about 200k when I let the tank get to 1/4. He showed me the simple low cost way to diagnose and correct. Check gas cap. Check the rubber filler hose. Check the charcoal canister. Check the small hoses. In my case I had replaced the cap with an aftermarket cap. O ring was not the correct size. Replaced with Mopar cap. Charcoal canister had raw gas in it. Replaced canister and purge valve. Solved the problem. If these things all check good, then the step by step labor time electrical diagnoses begins. After watching what was involved, I agree I could have replaced those parts. hope this is helpful.

AKAllen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie 2500 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Laramie 2500 with 38K miles. Drove from Alaska to Idaho pulling a travel trailer and arrived when it was 102 deg F. Gas cap light came on just before we arrived, then CEL shortly after. Saw on here where it said to change out the gas cap first, clear the codes, then go from there. Went to local parts store, they checked the error codes, and confirmed it was either a evaporative system leak or bad gas cap. Gas cap was $12 so figured I'd try that. Didn't work. They cleared the codes for me but they were back before I'd left their parking lot. Drove it for a week or so to see if anything would change then took it to local RAM dealer. They pulled the codes (same ones) and replaced the after-market cap with a Mopar OEM cap. Codes haven't come back on and I've driven it several 100 miles since then. MOPAR cap was $15. Visually, the two caps look similar but the seal in the after-market one is slightly smaller. RAM service advisor said this is happens regularly and made his pitch to me for buying OEM parts. I'm just an old farm boy who would occasionally lose the gas cap on the tractor after failing to put it back on after fueling, and just stuff a rag in the hole until it was convenient to go into to town and get another. Amazing how technology has to change our way of thinking....

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Laramie 2500 with 38K miles. Drove from Alaska to Idaho pulling a travel trailer and arrived when it was 102 deg F. Gas cap light came on just before we arrived, then CEL shortly after. Saw on here where it said to change out the gas cap first, clear the codes, then go from there. Went to local parts store, they checked the error codes, and confirmed it was either a evaporative system leak or bad gas cap. Gas cap was $12 so figured I'd try that. Didn't work. They cleared the codes for me but they were back before I'd left their parking lot. Drove it for a week or so to see if anything would change then took it to local RAM dealer. They pulled the codes (same ones) and replaced the after-market cap with a Mopar OEM cap. Codes haven't come back on and I've driven it several 100 miles since then. MOPAR cap was $15. Visually, the two caps look similar but the seal in the after-market one is slightly smaller. RAM service advisor said this is happens regularly and made his pitch to me for buying OEM parts. I'm just an old farm boy who would occasionally lose the gas cap on the tractor after failing to put it back on after fueling, and just stuff a rag in the hole until it was convenient to go into to town and get another. Amazing how technology has to change our way of thinking....

Yep, I bought an aftermarket cap and still had issues. Still using vaseline on my oem and no problems. Just comes back every 5 months or so and I just line it up with vaseline again to get it to stop!

spdfrkaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 CC Sport
Engine
Had the same issue with a CEL popping up. Ran the code, don't remember the number but it was for a evap leak. I researched and saw that some aftermarket caps were better than others. I ordered one that had good reviews from I think AutoZone. I'll take a look later to see if I can get the exact one. In my case, the new gas cap fixed the CEL issue and this was approx. four months ago. The only thing that sucks is the cap isn't able to be tethered.

spdfrkaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 CC Sport
Engine
Thread Revival

Remembered I never came back to this thread to update the gas cap I used. Attached is the one I used and I've been running it for months now with no CEL popups. Again, the only thing that sucks is it isn't tethered.
View media item 26304

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thread Revival

Remembered I never came back to this thread to update the gas cap I used. Attached is the one I used and I've been running it for months now with no CEL popups. Again, the only thing that sucks is it isn't tethered.
View media item 26304

I just ordered one last week and I did not get what I ordered. After a year, the vaseline trick is no longer working. Went ahead and put this new one on and still have the gas lights and cel. Anyway, instead of getting what I ordered in the first pic, the second pic is what those ding dongs sent me. It actually says E85 Gasoline on it. Lol..
Screenshot_2018-10-03-16-51-01.png
IMG_20181003_165359.jpg

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick recap so you don't have to read the entire post. Except for maybe the first post! Lol.. Fixed gas gap and cell with Vaseline on the cap twice. Lasted about 5 months, Vaseline again and was good for another 5 months. Then, stopped working.

Bought a new gas cap, didn't work. Would clear cell and gas cap light would come on first turn of the ignition with cel back on within a few minutes of driving. Did this routine a few times. No go....

Bought a new purge valve from Napa. So far, about 100 miles and all good. I think I am fixed!

This all started a year ago, about 85k miles .Now have 100k. Was commonly throwing codes po441 and po457 in combination.

Purge valve purchased:
Echlin Canister Purge Valve
Napa part# CRB 2284031

IMG_20181104_001114949.jpg

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
*****PROFANITY ALERT*****
I'm about to say a 40 letter word..

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...

Came back after about 300 miles. Time to put my baseball cap back on and warm up my arm.
IMG_20181111_081754739.jpg

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmmmm, I am beggining to wonder if my catch can is causing a small vacuum leak. The can has a dipstick and the manner in which I fitted the hoses is sufficient to prevent oil from leaking but may not be 100% air tight. Thoughts?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe, dunno, kinda sounds like U have done a lot. Maybe change Catch can hoses to better braided ones, and use "gm" clamps to attach, and see what happens, just thinking out loud.....Hmmm, not seen any catch cans with a "dipstick", that's different...

FITZ posted a while back on some steps also, U may want to look at those and make a decision...

PSSS: Get rid of the E85 cap and put on OEM one???

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe, dunno, kinda sounds like U have done a lot. Maybe change Catch can hoses to better braided ones, and use "gm" clamps to attach, and see what happens, just thinking out loud.....Hmmm, not seen any catch cans with a "dipstick", that's different...

FITZ posted a while back on some steps also, U may want to look at those and make a decision...

PSSS: Get rid of the E85 cap and put on OEM one???

Yeah, I never ended up putting that cap on and got the right one, lol... I might just remove the catch can, clear the codes and run a tank of gas and see if the cel comes back. If not, I will reinstall the can, tape the thread on the dipstick and do an upgrade on my hose connections. I think the rubber hose is fine, it was the fact that I inserted the hoses into the existing elbows rather than purchasing larger barb fittings. They fit in perfect to the elbows and do not leak fluid but they may not necessarily be 100% airtight.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since I have a MY 19, I haven't done much to engine area except exchange OEM for AEM air filter in box. I do plan on possibly getting a MOE's catch can in the future..(also bed cover/rug). But alas $$$$$$$$$. I just am not 100% sure the catch can venting is a problem to cause the CEL and light? Seems more like a vent/cap/canister issue,... But I am no mechanic, just turn wrenches on mower and MC. Have not done ne thing mechanical except changed out Interior LED which was a monster PITA for overhead. Good Luck with your issue.....

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since I have a MY 19, I haven't done much to engine area except exchange OEM for AEM air filter in box. I do plan on possibly getting a MOE's catch can in the future..(also bed cover/rug). But alas $$$$$$$$$. I just am not 100% sure the catch can venting is a problem to cause the CEL and light? Seems more like a vent/cap/canister issue,... But I am no mechanic, just turn wrenches on mower and MC. Have not done ne thing mechanical except changed out Interior LED which was a monster PITA for overhead. Good Luck with your issue.....

I am not aware there would be any connection between a leak at pcv causing an evap leak. But, I ran into a couple threads on the infinet where guys had to replace their plastic fittings on the catch cans and their evap code disappeared once they replaced them. I don't want to take the can off if there is zero probability of a pcv connection causing an evap leak.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I had more to offer, but do not. There is a Catch Can in the future for me, but not right now. Got other things like bed cover/rug and lights on rear.. I have to save for all those mods, LOL..

Again, good luck....

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, I posted the OP in November 2017. Issue is finally fixed. Was the Fuel Leak Detection Pump. $20 and 5 minutes to swap out. Lol!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I didn’t read entire thread, I had a issue once with my 14,6.4 2500 where I had to buy fuel from some little **** gas mart. And 30 mins latter the gas cap light came on, we where on a trip so it didn’t take long for me to burn that fuel, but after that I filled up with premium from a quality fuel supplier and half a tank later the light went off, I asked the dealer and he said could of been poor fuel.. was it?? Was it not?? It’s a easy test to try. Try getting fuel from somewhere else and see if it helps, definitely won’t hurt the wallet like buying parts.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I didn’t read entire thread, I had a issue once with my 14,6.4 2500 where I had to buy fuel from some little **** gas mart. And 30 mins latter the gas cap light came on, we where on a trip so it didn’t take long for me to burn that fuel, but after that I filled up with premium from a quality fuel supplier and half a tank later the light went off, I asked the dealer and he said could of been poor fuel.. was it?? Was it not?? It’s a easy test to try. Try getting fuel from somewhere else and see if it helps, definitely won’t hurt the wallet like buying parts.

Could have been the cap just was not put back on tight enough. Before I had this issue, I'll admit, I didn't screw the cap on tight enough a couple times and my light came on. But, my Leak Detection Pump was the culprit.

Between the TPMS light due to a sensor that got cracked when they put on my new tires around the same time and this issue, I've been rockin a light show on my cluster for almost 2 years!