Got smoked by a tundra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenneth1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4x4
Engine
Well my cousin has a 2 wheel drive sr5 and we took out after work and he pulled up beside me and we hit it and he just pulled away like i was setting still , i guess those 4.30 gears helped . SO now that happened i am a little flustered after having just got a tuner and hemifever . Mine is a 4x4 3.21 crew. I am going to see if we can do a dig sometime and see what the difference is vs on a roll .

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3.21s man. also the tundra holds gears longer gears than the RAM. IDK about the 3.21s but if you were to do a Rolling start at 40mph I would assume the RAM would take the cake.

I had a tundra with the 4.30s and it was a slug from 50mph and up. at 55mph+ it was a fat kid in gym class. However, from 0-40 it was a quick.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
Gears, Gears, Gears.... :Big Laugh:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've seen it in a couple places despite having the best HP back when 4 gens came out, Ram was the lowest or second to the lowest in full size truck speed tests. Buy an SRT if it means that much to you.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ive said it so many times on this forum and everybody always gets they're panties in a *** about the 3.21 gears but here it goes again 8 speed or not the 3.21 gear is a useless gear for a truck period. 1st and 2nd are acceptable then after that its ****. A 3.21 truck mod for mod / stock to stock will never out perform a 3.92 truck.

tuned by Jay Greene

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It doesn't matter what we want, the gov't has decided for us that gas mileage should be our only concern.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guy at my work has a V8 tundra, one day at lunch we just happen to be beside each other at a light, my stock Ram smoked his truck bad (3.92/LSD/Hemi). He had another guy from work with him and they all gave him hell about that loss LOL

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO--if you are digging stop light to stop light with 3.21's your just asking to get your butt kicked in these trucks. They're great for mileage on the highway but as has been said before, they ain't for the 1/8 or the 1/4. You'd do better in the 1/4 but you probably would still get beat.
Jay

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It doesn't matter what we want, the gov't has decided for us that gas mileage should be our only concern.

Not me!!!!! I have 4:10's..... and may swap them to 4:56's depending on how it runs on the track once converted to a 6speed manual....
I DO What I WANT!!!!! :roflsquared:

OP
OP
Kenneth1977

Kenneth1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4x4
Engine
After I get my house built in a month or so I'm going to be getting a regular cab 2 wheel drive to mess around in , I bought this truck for comfort not speed but was just sharing but I do see where the 321 are really useless I can't even began to think what it's like for the lifted ones on 35's
I need to run in my wife's grand with the hemi because it's prett quick

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These trucks can be pretty quick for 5500lbs of mass. Matt made his 2011 into the quickest N/A anywhere, so it can be done------just bring money. It sure is fun to surprise the **** out of someone when your big O'l truck blows their doors off. :naughty::naughty:
Jay

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These trucks can be pretty quick for 5500lbs of mass. Matt made his 2011 into the quickest N/A anywhere, so it can be done------just bring money. It sure is fun to surprise the **** out of someone when your big O'l truck blows their doors off. :naughty::naughty:
Jay

My favorite is the BMW drivers face when that happens.... then they try harder and get embarrassed even more

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got the 3.21 rear and I beat a F-150 Ecoboost a couple weeks ago. I was bummed my bud didn't get it on video. All I've got is a tune. Don't know what the Ford had.

F-150EB.jpg

My Ram isn't a sleeper, yet, but my Jeep sure surprises people. And I've kept it looking bone stock, other than a couple of emblems. As long as they don't get within earshot of it, they don't know until it's too late. ;)

wink

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
After I get my house built in a month or so I'm going to be getting a regular cab 2 wheel drive to mess around in , I bought this truck for comfort not speed but was just sharing but I do see where the 321 are really useless I can't even began to think what it's like for the lifted ones on 35's
I need to run in my wife's grand with the hemi because it's prett quick

It's all about application. 3:21 would be fine for me. I buy off the lot. My 16 ram that I chose just happened to have the 3:92. Wouldn't have been a deal breaker if it had 3:21.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's all about application. 3:21 would be fine for me. I buy off the lot. My 16 ram that I chose just happened to have the 3:92. Wouldn't have been a deal breaker if it had 3:21.

Pretty much my situation. Was gonna order one the way I wanted, but bought one off the lot. Only things I didn't get were the 3.92, LSD, Park Sense, and Sport hood. I can live without the last two, and already ordered the LSD. Just haven't installed it yet. I did get the leather inserts though, and wouldn't have if I had ordered. They quit offering them for some reason. Never planned on taking it to the track though, so the gears didn't bother me either. Still don't really. It's held it's own. Hell I beat a Challenger last week. I also would've beat that EcoBoost by more if I didn't have a 100 lb tonneau on it. ;)

wink

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok let me throw something out here. You said you raced right after leaving work. There are computer controlled safety systems in these trucks. Meaning the ecu will not give you full power until the oil reaches a certain temperature. I had a sports car before my trucks and I know for a fact it had this. Right before I bought my Rams I had a friend crank his Ram up right after work and tried to do a burn out. The truck would not break the tires and he was stumped. I told him about the feature and he said he tried a burnout later while heading home and it broke free easy.
So maybe try and race him when you know the oil is at running temperature. Just a crazy idea.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I no my Ram does not have that feature, I dont do it hardly at all but have acouple times on a cold motor. My truck will light them up no matter the temp of the motor.

I would have rather had 3:92s ( going to put 35s on at some point) but even with these 3:21s I can bark the tires at dam near 30 mph and will light them up hard from a stand still. Will say my fiberglass topper has stopped some of the tire spinning though... lol