Got smoked by a tundra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok let me throw something out here. You said you raced right after leaving work. There are computer controlled safety systems in these trucks. Meaning the ecu will not give you full power until the oil reaches a certain temperature. I had a sports car before my trucks and I know for a fact it had this. Right before I bought my Rams I had a friend crank his Ram up right after work and tried to do a burn out. The truck would not break the tires and he was stumped. I told him about the feature and he said he tried a burnout later while heading home and it broke free easy.
So maybe try and race him when you know the oil is at running temperature. Just a crazy idea.

Makes sense to me. I've noticed the first time I start it up for the day and leave, it feels like the tranny has brain damage. But it clears up after a mile or two, so I figured it just needed to warm up or something. If that's the case, it'll probably really suck when winter officially hits. Maybe those active shutters will make more sense then...

wink

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
3.21s man. also the tundra holds gears longer gears than the RAM. IDK about the 3.21s but if you were to do a Rolling start at 40mph I would assume the RAM would take the cake.

I had a tundra with the 4.30s and it was a slug from 50mph and up. at 55mph+ it was a fat kid in gym class. However, from 0-40 it was a quick.
Something was wrong with yours. Mine felt like it kept building power throughout the band. I'm not racing it and rarely got my truck over 80, but it always felt like it had plenty of power on tap.

4.30 gears will multiply that power a lot higher than 3.21 gears will...

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$95 option at the factory. Aftermarket is a lot more and if you have a 4x4 newer 4th gen. you can almost forget about it. I guess we should all be happy we can afford a nice truck, just some of the options are worth more to some than to others.
Jay

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Something just don't seem right hear... I have owned a tundra sr5 (it was 4x4 though) and I have no doubt my ram with 3.21's would have smoked it or I would not of drove it off the lot. Don't get me wrong the tundra had some balls and was a damn good truck but it was just plain sluggish off the line. When I would floor it, it felt like I had a load of cinder blocks in the truck bed and would take a second before it would even start to move due to the all the torque management that truck had. Hell I even got smoked by a titan in that truck lol. Unless Toyota has made some major changes to the tundra in the last three years I have a very hard time believing it could smoke a ram even with 3.21's.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is always the "behind the steering wheel" factor.:naughty:
Jay

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Maybe he had Pedal Commander

OP
OP
Kenneth1977

Kenneth1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4x4
Engine
And, they're ugly too......
Yep thats the truth
I am looking at a whipple in my near future if things go as planed and also looking at doing a turbo single cab not sure which one will come first .
I drove a rebel that had 392's and i really could not tell a huge difference so idk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Rams are great trucks in a lot of ways but they do some things that make you scratch your head. 3.21 gears in any truck is just dumb. The 3.73s in my 2500 suck as well.

I never hear anyone come into a message board and wish they had lower gears. I hear plenty wish they had higher. 4.30 seems great for a lot of gas engine applications. Even the 3.42 for most of the diesels seems a bit low. My old Duramax had 3.73 and that was perfect.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the 5/6RFE. I had 4.10s put in. Best thing I've ever done to that truck.

If I want good gas mileage, l simply slow down.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Rams are great trucks in a lot of ways but they do some things that make you scratch your head. 3.21 gears in any truck is just dumb. The 3.73s in my 2500 suck as well.

I never hear anyone come into a message board and wish they had lower gears. I hear plenty wish they had higher. 4.30 seems great for a lot of gas engine applications. Even the 3.42 for most of the diesels seems a bit low. My old Duramax had 3.73 and that was perfect.

If you put a 4,30 gear behind the 8sp you would have a granny gear for first gear.

The transmission makes the difference alot of times on gear choice.

Just like the transmission in your truck should have 4:56s behind it with its tall gears.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Its all about the gearing in the transmission, his 2500 has high gears and his Dmax must not of.
just like having a old 4sp manual with that granny gear vs starting out in 2nd or 3rd.

OP
OP
Kenneth1977

Kenneth1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4x4
Engine
Well at least ram didnt put 3.07's like chevy did in a lot of there z71's , i drove a friends the other day that had a 6'' lift on 35's and thats what it had and when i got back i asked him how he even pulled his boat ( small tracked ) that thing was one huge **** .
All in all i am very pleased with my ram and 99% of the time i am not racing or going balls to the wall so for my daily i'm ok with it the way it is .

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our 3:73 gears in our HD trucks may not be so bad if they where mated to a 8 speed tranny. But that's just a pipe dream while 4:56 gears and 4:88 gears are a reality and highly liked by everyone who switches to them. I'm with mtofell -

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I never hear anyone come into a message board and wish they had lower gears. I hear plenty wish they had higher.

well, back before message boards (early 90's) I swapped the 3.73 to a 3.08 in my old 66 Chevy so that I could get up and run 70 with the three speed trans. That ***** was HOT of the line with a custom build 283 and the rear swap let me get up and roll. It was a Fox body killer let me tell ya.

my 09 has the 3.55 in it. sort of a happy Medium. Previous 04 Tundra had the 4.11s I believe and that tiny V8 would pass most anything except a gas station.