Has anybody changed their oil...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
... because you were bored with your truck. I'm tempted to dump the current fill to tryout PP 5w30.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am. I just noticed the last two days that my truck has a weird tick when I first start it up in the morning but it goes away after a second or two. I may drain out the PYB 5W20 for Mobil One or Valvoline.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Never because I was bored! I never felt the need to drain out good oil with its additive package still in tact--->{Not Spent}
I did drain the oil 2 times early after the FF due to I was flushing out the main break-in wear metals.

Now I have added 2 bottles of Schaeffers Soy Ultra to my fuel tank before filling up a few times because I was bored.
I will admit I have done this quite a few times!

OP
OP
L

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Never because I was bored! I never felt the need to drain out good oil with its additive package still in tact--->{Not Spent}
I did drain the oil 2 times early after the FF due to I was flushing out the main break-in wear metals.

Now I have added 2 bottles of Schaeffers Soy Ultra to my fuel tank before filling up a few times because I was bored.
I will admit I have done this quite a few times!
Side thought: why wouldn't the oil filter catch break-in wear metals?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I am. I just noticed the last two days that my truck has a weird tick when I first start it up in the morning but it goes away after a second or two. I may drain out the PYB 5W20 for Mobil One or Valvoline.

I cannot speak for Valvoline, but don't try it with Mobile One if elimination of that tick is what you want. I used to run Mobile One, and the tick is still there. Once I converted to Pennzoil Ultra (now Pennzoil Ultra Platinum), the ticket was quieted and less frequent. I didn't convert to quiet the tick, as it doesn't bother me (every newer Hemi I've heard does it), just an observation.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No Moly in valvoline, might want to search that especially if your ticking. Check out Syn thread, there have been oils that have proven helpful fighting tick.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Lager: The particulate that is within the micron rating of the Filter itself --Yes!

But the smaller particles will pass through @ keep circulating with the oil & continue to accumulate --PPM count.
These need to be drained out with the oil change!
I don't want these little buggers in circulation very long in my new 5.7L. (Just Me)

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have washed and waxed when I was bored, but mostly if I am that board, I Go get gas and go for a nice ride.

Last edited:

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No Moly in valvoline, might want to search that especially if your ticking. Check out Syn thread, there have been oils that have proven helpful fighting tick.

The last I heard Pennzoil was paraffin wax based. Back in the day it would clog up an engine real bad. I remember pulling the valve cover off a 440, and I could hardly see the rocker arms. Hopefully it is no longer a paraffin based oil.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The last I heard Pennzoil was paraffin wax based. Back in the day it would clog up an engine real bad. I remember pulling the valve cover off a 440, and I could hardly see the rocker arms. Hopefully it is no longer a paraffin based oil.

I remember that, did it to a small block I had, I have never used Pennzoil since.

Just like the Fram filters were always junk .

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

A lot has changed my friend, and I appreciate your input. I worked at a shell station in the 80's and would never buy my gas there because of how many cars were pinging using our gas. Now, Shell makes the best gas and Shell bought penzoil back in the early 2000's. Syn posted an independant list of detergent levels by brand and Shell was number one by a lot. Their new nitrogen stuff is of the highest quality. Now their synthetics are high detergent just like their gas, and gas to liquid (GtL). It is the best basestock you can get as far as having zero impurities next to group 4 and 5 oils. Their diesel oil Rotella t6 has long been accepted as the best you can get as well.

A far as yellow bottle it is likely much better then when you used in back in the day just like they did with their gas, but when you buy group 2 oil you never really know what you get other then watching the bottom of the bottle to see what settles. However, PYB has great used oil analysis's out there and likely has more detergents then back in the day. It also has a very nice additive package and has been the factory fill for the hemi's for a while now.

Duster79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'll stick with Valvoline, been using it in my truck since new. Have over 68k no tick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just suggest anyone running any oil do a little research, if you feel that is the best oil for your truck then I say good for you. Many satisfied Valvoline customers out there, I believe it was number two on Bob's list of popular oils.

But it also was the oil used in two recent cam failures on the forum, along with royal purple. Funny how no oil with moly comes up in these cam failures. Don't take my word for it, search cam and lifter failures and see the oils that they used when the question was posed. Every main oil company out there uses moly except valvoline, Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, Penzoil, Amsoil, Halvoline, Quacker State, shell, etc etc- ALL USE MOLY. If you use a non-moly oil what protects your engine at start up? This is why nearly every reputable oil maker uses moly.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I will say again.
Ever since Shell purchased Pennzoil the quality of all the oils with the Pennzoil name has gone through a 360° change in formulation.

PYB to this day is one of the best selling & one of the most robust conventional oils on the store shelves. The UOA posted have proved this. This oils performance is second to none & the cleaning abilities are duelly noted as well with it high calcium dosage.

Times have changed & are constantly changing every day! Don't fall behind!
You just might miss out on something very special!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well said both Burla & SyN !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The three of you is why I pay way more attention to my oil and what I do and how I do it. Thanks for the research and candid comments when I've asked honest questions! RLK Burla and SyN are the most knowledgeable when it comes to oil. They have practically written a book on this information for HEMI's!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I remember that, did it to a small block I had, I have never used Pennzoil since.

Just like the Fram filters were always junk .
Wow man thing have changed so much , Penzoil & Fram had their issues years ago ; however, nowadays Penzoil is quite possibly the best oil on the market , and in most cases it's better than others by a LARGE margin.

Any oil most can name off the top of their head and typically anything on the shelves anything Napa , Autozone , Advance Auto , Wall Mart ect ..ect... Penzoil Yellow Bottle ( PYB) Conventional oil is likely a better oil. PUP Penzoil Ultra Platinum is almost certinly a better oil , even the PP Penzoil Platinum is a superior oil I'm most cases .

As far a Fram filters goes the Fram Ultra is one of the best available today ... keeping up with the oil manufacturers & filters can prove to be very benificial.

Tons of info and up to date info on oils & filters can be found on bitog & on the synthetic oil thread here .

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=487965

Hope to see you there on the syn oil thread !

Reactions: SyN

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The three of you is why I pay way more attention to my oil and what I do and how I do it. Thanks for the research and candid comments when I've asked honest questions! RLK Burla and SyN are the most knowledgeable when it comes to oil. They have practically written a book on this information for HEMI's!

Thank you Sir !

Fwiw my RLK should never preceed SyN & Burla I've learned so much from them and many others on the Synthetic oil thread ...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn