Header install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I removed my tube (kindof a PITA once you get the bolt out because you still have to fight the o-ring) and once I finished my install I just reinstalled it, feeding it between the #5 and #7 primaries. It was really pretty simple. The only modification I had to make was to the mounting whiz bang doohickey that used to bolt to the stock manifold bolt/stud thing. I used a pair of alternative lifestyle pliers and cut a slit out where the bolt hole was, loosened a valve cover bolt, and slid the mount in there. Works great, and I didn't have to alter the dipstick bends at all.

Lol I'm an electrician by trade & we say this all the time. Gotta love it. Lol

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
for some reason I just saw this but there is no reason to lift the motor I just unbolted my tube took it out and weaved it back in and bolted it up once I finished this may be an issue for some but not on obx headers I don't see an issue for any set of headers as for the stage 8 bolts they are grade 8 bolts and I had to tighten mine twice after two days then I put the clips on it and they stayed tight and haven't had a problem since.if you decide to buy a regular old grade 8 bolt make sure the head is small and it's not too long

tuned by Jay Greene

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Easy way to remove broken bolts, if you have a welder or a friend with a welder, just weld a nut onto the end of the broken bolt and it'll turn right out. The weld doesn't have to be pretty or even half-assed good, just enough to stick the nut to the bolt.

As for Stage 8 bolts, having put 3 sets of headers on my trucks and with a hell of a lot more heat in my exhaust than about 99% of hemi owners they are still in place, still tight, and haven't broken yet. The locking clip is nice but not required and I didn't have them on one set of headers for a long time and they never backed off.

I read somewhere that the clips on the stage 8 bolts can vibrate and create a false knok causing tuning problems. Is that true?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I read somewhere that the clips on the stage 8 bolts can vibrate and create a false knok causing tuning problems. Is that true?

I keep a close eye on my knock sensors and I've never seen anything come up on them on either of my trucks. If they're installed loosely I could see it possibly happening but proper installation shouldn't have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
My kooks came with stage 8 bolts so that was just a bonus. Like it says above, be generous with some quality penetrating oil, tap on the old bolts with a hammer to help the oil seap in the threads and they should come out with ease.

How did the Kooks install go? Not many running Kooks headers on this site. Any clearance issues with steering shaft, wiring, dip stick tube ect?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
If you already have a broken manifold bolt just drill a small hole into it and get an extractor to remove it. Mine came out pretty easy.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Is there enough room for a full size drill? I have at least 1 broken bolt and I'm installing my headers this weekend, worried my drill is to big to maneuver properly. Need to be able to drill straight on the broken bolt.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if there is enough bolt left you can weld a nut on it and back it out. if you have a welder

tuned by jay greene

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You also have the choice to get 90 degree angle drill to get into hard locations where a regular drill will be too long.
Something else that is good to have is a set of left hand drill bits. I use them a lot at work to remove broken bolts and studs in machinery. When you are drilling out a bolt with these drill bits, use one a little smaller than the bolt OD. The friction and heat will unscrew the bolt 95% of the time leaving the threads in machine or engine in great condition.

Last edited:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
You also have the choice to get 90 degree angle drill to get into hard locations where a regular drill will be too long.
Something else that is good to have is a set of left hand drill bits. I use them a lot at work to remove broken bolts and studs in machinery. When you are drilling out a bolt with these drill bits, use one a little smaller than the bolt OD. The friction and heat will unscrew the bolt 95% of the time leaving the threads in machine or engine in great condition.

I dident have a 90 degree drill but i got Very lucky, the one broken bolt I have was on the top row so my little 12v drill worked good. But if I had a broken bolt on the bottom row I would have been screwed. So FYI if you got broken bolt on the bottom row you will need a 90 degree.

Attachments

• 20170715_132055.jpg
    20170715_132055.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 30