header leak checks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OK I put in the factory gaskets and stage 8 locking bolts and clips on my headers I'm hearing what sounds like engine noise at idle very low noise but sometimes it's sounds like a tick and it only happens when the motor is straining in 8th gear driving 45 or so while your giving it a little gas at low speeds any other time you can't hear it or it sounds like just engine noise what's the best way to test for header leaks keep in mind its not very easy to get to some of the places on the headers.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Spray soapy water on the headers when they are cold and then fire up the truck. You should see bubbles coming from any leak that there may be.

Something else I have seen over the years are leaks at the spike inside the header collector. That is something that you will not be able to detect from outside though. Hopefully that is not the case with yours and that it is just a simple leak on the outside.

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Spray soapy water on the headers when they are cold and then fire up the truck. You should see bubbles coming from any leak that there may be.

Something else I have seen over the years are leaks at the spike inside the header collector. That is something that you will not be able to detect from outside though. Hopefully that is not the case with yours and that it is just a simple leak on the outside.

I'll try that . I'm pretty sure I know what your talking about in the collector but I guess you would cut the collector off and try to reweld all the pipes but how can that give you the leaky noises.

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OK I figured it out it's where the pipe coming from the driver side goes under the trans into the y pipe I've moved that clamp and pushed it in twice and no matter what I do I will not stop leaking it's bad enough you can put your hand up to it and feel the air coming out.is there anything to do other than welding it?

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK I figured it out it's where the pipe coming from the driver side goes under the trans into the y pipe I've moved that clamp and pushed it in twice and no matter what I do I will not stop leaking it's bad enough you can put your hand up to it and feel the air coming out.is there anything to do other than welding it?

Had the same issue with my ARH system. Could not get the y-pipe to seal up no matter what I did. It was small so I let it go but still, for such an expensive product you think it would be a bit better. Even tried copper gasket seal and it didnt work out.

Not sure if you have ARH though.

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Had the same issue with my ARH system. Could not get the y-pipe to seal up no matter what I did. It was small so I let it go but still, for such an expensive product you think it would be a bit better. Even tried copper gasket seal and it didnt work out.

Not sure if you have ARH though.

I have obx now after some time under the truck I've found that both of the spots that clamp on the y pipe are leaking .ID say prety bad if you can feel it with you hand

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I would try the Copper Gasket Seal spray can, but as you can see it isn't a fix all.

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
it's really ******* me off . I'm about to bust out the welder.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I don't have personal experience with this particular situation, but I have read and heard that not all clamps are created equal. Try using a different brand/style clamp.

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't have personal experience with this particular situation, but I have read and heard that not all clamps are created equal. Try using a different brand/style clamp.

o, gonna try that in the morning if that don't work I'm gonna weld it the leaking sound is driving me crazy .I know that the cause cause it changed the sound after o played with the clamps. it's getting fixed tomorrow one way or another I can't take it no more. I might be out there with a flashlight in a little while. the upside is I got my throttle body in today from Moe's and it took 15 mins to install and the other two hrs messing with these damn leaks

Last edited:

thebeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My OBX headers are okay, no leaks yet . I'm thinking about welding to the header collector though and doing true dual. Like stainless works. Link below.

Dodge Ram 2009-16 Headers

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My OBX headers are okay, no leaks yet . I'm thinking about welding to the header collector though and doing true dual. Like stainless works. Link below.

Dodge Ram 2009-16 Headers

wish I could say the same . everything is good with mine except the y pipe problem and I think I burned off some finger tips in my hissy fit.

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OK got the y pipe welded and now look what else I found.

Attachments

• IMG_20160423_093956.jpg
    IMG_20160423_093956.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 55

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm about to replace my factory gasket with the ones that came with my bbk headers. It's just on the left side, there is a recall out about the manifold leak.

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are you goign to have BBK replace it? Looks like the weld isnt complete.

mine are obx. it looks like they stopped with the tig and finised with a mig and just left a hole thats china for you.I'm just gonna fix it myself it's just alot easier than taking it all off again to have it replaced luckily it's at the easiest place to get to on the whole system. they do ,make more power but not worth the hassle sometimes . I've delt with headers before and I knew the problems that can happen it's just part of it sometimes.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys, please look up Remflex Gaskets on youtube. They are used all over in high HP applications and the way the give to torquing down is really nice. My muffler shop installed these when I had my ARH kit installed. I was all about OEM after reading here but they talked me into them and it wasn't money as they gave them to me for only $20 because a friend recommended me. My friend is a modified dirt track racer and used these gaskets in his last motor that ran for years.

As for leaks what about the paste? I know it doesn't look as cool but wouldn't that work? Maybe lay down thick paste well then use a bunch of high temp metal tape. Would that not work?

Also if it's worth anything for anyone in the pre buying stage my muffler shop said they were really impressed with the fitment of the ARH kit.

Last edited:

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Wow, I have never heard of nor seen someone do this.

The easiest way to find a header leak is take a mechanics stethoscope and pull off the needle. so you have an open tube straight to your ear, you now have a directional leak finder and you sure as **** will know when you are close. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
alright got the y pipe welded and the hole in the tube at the flange welded now I have another leak and I think I've narrowed it down to where the four pipes are welded into the collector any ideas on how to fix it without cutting the collector off short enough to get to the inside good . I'm gonna try silicone spray but I'm not sure if that's going to work unless it's a small hole or holes . it's driving me crazy .

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
That's why with such a big purchase you should buy the highest quality...ARH or stainless works in my opinion with JBA a close 3rd and then get them ceramic coated inside and out.