Headers Direct Fit??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Do they make direct fit long tube headers for 13 Ram 5.7. Like to put something right at the joint without hacking up my good exhaust. Or do I have to do shorty style headers?? I heard the headers make a big performance difference? Plus I want some more rumble on my Magnaflow cat back...and still want to keep it emissions legal for P.a. Inspections.

The kracken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Longtubes are not a direct fit even with a y-pipe, shorties are but not much gain at all

Sent from a device thats sends stuff

The kracken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Deleting the cats would be about equivalent to adding shorties

OP
OP
Pa.hemi.ram

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Gotcha but I need my cats for inspection....hhhmmm?? Might have to rethink an exhaust add on??

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I have read shorties are good for around 8hp on our trucks, but also read they make the motor run smoother.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you go long tubes and are worried about inspection, you can do the kooks green cats.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I have a 13 and don't listen to the misleading info above. ARH longtubes with high flow cats is what you need...bolt right up and attach right where the stock y ended. I have been running them and just passed my first CT state inspection as well. I also purchased a magna flow 16869 cat back system that also bolts right up as well...the only piece of stock exhaust left is the straight pipe that connects muffler and y. Both of these kits are direct bolt on no modding. Also with headers I recommend getting them ceramic coated inside and out...running stage 8 header bolts and new oem header gaskets...headers make a world of difference as the stock manifolds are garbage!

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^^ Same year truck as OP and has personal experience. This sounds like pretty good information to me.
Jay

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The mid pipe will allow you to use what ever cat back you are using. It should all be bolt on.

Also the stage 8 locking bolts is a good idea. When I did Stainless Works Headers on my Raptor I used them. Tough to get them on in tight sports but gave me piece of mind.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The kracken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotcha but I need my cats for inspection....hhhmmm?? Might have to rethink an exhaust add on??
They make highflow cats that are ok with long tubes and it all depends on what you think are a direct bolt on vs what other people think . i can tell you this yes it will all bolt on but dont think for a minute that it will all bolt together perfectly with no issues its not that simple with longtubes, y-pipe and cats in my opinion longtubes with y-pipe can be a pain in the butt if you want a more simple direct bolt on then i would go with the shorties . im not gonna say its a waste but hp to cost ratio seems high for so little gains

The kracken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oem gaskets are best but those stage 8's CAN rattle and cause false knock in turn a power loss

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Oem gaskets are best but those stage 8's CAN rattle and cause false knock in turn a power loss

I agree with Kracken,don't waste your money on Stage 8's as you can't get all the clips on anyways,just use the bolts that come with the headers,and re-torque them after a couple heat cycles.Remflex gaskets are a very good gasket option to.If you go for OEM gaskets get them for a 6.1 not a 5.7.The OEM 5.7 gaskets have the heat shield,that's nothing but a pain in the ass to work around,while the 6.1 gaskets don't have the shield.

The kracken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If for some reason you cant find the 6.1 gaskets take some tin snips and cut that shield off

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guess I'm a bit confused now. I have the dreaded exhaust tick, and I've read that headers will fix the issue permanently after replacing the broken bolts.

So, what should I go with? I'm good with long tubes, but is there a direct bolt on system, or will I need to take it to a shop and get it installed? I have an '09 with 120k, so if I have to replace the whole system, I guess that's what needs to happen.

The kracken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All the way back to the 3" pipe has to come off with longtubes and y-pipe its a decent task to do im guessing a good shop might be able to connect the longtubes to the factory y-pipe but shorties are more of a direct fit . the cheaper route is to fix the broken bolts and keep going but it all depends on your budget longtubes can get fairly expensive

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Long tube headers(ARH)--1700
ceramic coating---app 400
Install--app 500-600
new exhaust system---app 500-600

Adds up pretty fast--these are just app prices
Jay

Reeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had a shop replace exhaust gaskets and 4 broken bolts. Damn thing cost me 10hrs in labour. Thank Christ I supplied the gaskets and stud kit otherwise they woulda raked me over the coals for that one too. All because I needed an inspection before a certain date and I had broken ribs so I couldn't do it myself. I would have loved to do headers too but I couldn't drop another couple K on the truck right before I bought winter rubber for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even the ARH are a PITA just because of the oil dipstick tube. You have to undo the left side motor mount and lift the engine to get to the dipstick tube bolt. Then you have to bend the dipstick tube without breaking it to make it fit between the tubes (without touching them) and finally you need to fabricate a bracket to hold the tube that is now in a different location.

I'm glad I did it myself, but it was a lot more work than I anticipated and IMO doesn't qualify as "Bolt-on"

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Even the ARH are a PITA just because of the oil dipstick tube. You have to undo the left side motor mount and lift the engine to get to the dipstick tube bolt. Then you have to bend the dipstick tube without breaking it to make it fit between the tubes (without touching them) and finally you need to fabricate a bracket to hold the tube that is now in a different location.

I'm glad I did it myself, but it was a lot more work than I anticipated and IMO doesn't qualify as "Bolt-on"

You still have to pull that dipstick tube out to install the shorties, so there is no difference there. The Longtubes are actually easier to install than shorties on these trucks because it is easier to access the header bolts.

OP, I would go with a set of ARH longtubes with cats. This setup is designed to clamp right on to your factory exhaust just before the muffler so you dont have to do any welding or fabricating. ARH uses a decent gasket, but the Mopar 6.1 gaskets will last a little longer.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I may be hallucinating but I thought I read somewhere that someone got a Locar(sp) custom dipstick that fit the 5.7 so you didn't have to bend the stock one up?????????? I could be wrong----I was once that I remember :naughty:
Jay