Headers, short or long?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Etbenson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my true dual carven exhaust. Sounds great so now next on the list is headers. How much of a difference in performance and sound will both the short and long tube make? Is one better/preferred over the other for a daily driver? How much louder do headers make the exhaust etc. Not sure what to go with.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shorties will give you a small gain in power, long tubes with a tune will give you a bigger gain in power. Shorties with stock mid pipe will probably only be louder under heavy acceleration. Long tubes with a high flow catted mid pipe will be louder with any throttle input. LT'S with a mid pipe with no cats will be louder all around.

As far as what to go with since it's a daily if you go long tubes I would go with the high flow cats. Also you should check your emissions laws for when you get an inspection. Do you have a budget? Shorties is the cheaper option with smaller gains. Long tubes will need a new mid pipe and should be tuned. So it can get expensive but will give you much bigger power than shorties.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Etbenson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shorties will give you a small gain in power, long tubes with a tune will give you a bigger gain in power. Shorties with stock mid pipe will probably only be louder under heavy acceleration. Long tubes with a high flow catted mid pipe will be louder with any throttle input. LT'S with a mid pipe with no cats will be louder all around.

As far as what to go with since it's a daily if you go long tubes I would go with the high flow cats. Also you should check your emissions laws for when you get an inspection. Do you have a budget? Shorties is the cheaper option with smaller gains. Long tubes will need a new mid pipe and should be tuned. So it can get expensive but will give you much bigger power than shorties.

I would like to go with the LT but yes they are pricey. I would like more power but 1,500 for the TL w/cats is intimidating lol. My next question would be do I have to purchase and install them all at once? What I mean is, say I purchased high flow cats from Moses performance (bout 80-90 bucks each), install them, then a little later down the road purchase and install the TL headers later? Not sure if that's possible or something that a tipical muffler shop could do?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to go with the LT but yes they are pricey. I would like more power but 1,500 for the TL w/cats is intimidating lol. My next question would be do I have to purchase and install them all at once? What I mean is, say I purchased high flow cats from Moses performance (bout 80-90 bucks each), install them, then a little later down the road purchase and install the TL headers later? Not sure if that's possible or something that a tipical muffler shop could do?
It depends if you have an exhaust shop do custom work or if you want all bolt on parts. The stock mid pipe and a mid pipe for long tubes are different. Plus you will probably need tuning once you change the cats to not throw a CEL. Honestly I would save up until you can afford the whole package or buy parts as you can afford then and wait until you have them all to install.

nursenick06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It depends if you have an exhaust shop do custom work or if you want all bolt on parts. The stock mid pipe and a mid pipe for long tubes are different. Plus you will probably need tuning once you change the cats to not throw a CEL. Honestly I would save up until you can afford the whole package or buy parts as you can afford then and wait until you have them all to install.

I put the ARH longtubes with high-flow cats on my '13 1500 last week, and I didn't have any codes thrown before I installed the tune. I put about 75 miles on it before I put a standard Diablo tune on. They installed pretty easily. Had to shorten the midpipe about 14" or so to accommodate the longtubes, but that was the easy part. Yeah they were a little more expensive than shorties, but the performance gains are noticeable. So is the exhaust sound [emoji57]...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Go to bigdaddiesgarage.com and get the cat foolers. They have the honeycomb that cats have, so you can get rid of your cats. You can just program the downstreams out, but that will make the catalyst monitors run in a open loop and never become "ready". The foolers enable to you keep the downstream monitors on and make the monitors ready. I used the foolers on my last truck...got rid of the cats at about 50k or so and sold the truck with 120k with no check engine light and no problems. If you need an OBD inspection every year in your state, programing the monitors out will be a problem. The foolers resolve that.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've done a few header installs. Most threw a check engine eventually some didn't. Either way to get the most out of the investment of long tube headers you should tune it. I ran around my GMC with 6.0 with on tubes for a few days until my custom tune appointment. The difference was very big. Before the tune my power was about the same as stock and mpg was worse. After tune I had more power and once I took my foot out of it my mpg was about the same or slightly better than stock. Plus I had the peice of mind that everything was running the way it was supposed to.

Rammedic9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's your

Does your state have emission standards:laws

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didn't mean don't get a tune. I just meant if you do a time only and don't use foolers, the tuner will simply turn off the downstream monitors. So they'll never become ready.

OP
OP
E

Etbenson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah my state does. So I gotta keep the cats! All the info is great guys, thanks. Looks like I'll just have to wait till I can do everything all at once or at least within a short amount of time.

OP
OP
E

Etbenson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to bigdaddiesgarage.com and get the cat foolers. They have the honeycomb that cats have, so you can get rid of your cats. You can just program the downstreams out, but that will make the catalyst monitors run in a open loop and never become "ready". The foolers enable to you keep the downstream monitors on and make the monitors ready. I used the foolers on my last truck...got rid of the cats at about 50k or so and sold the truck with 120k with no check engine light and no problems. If you need an OBD inspection every year in your state, programing the monitors out will be a problem. The foolers resolve that.

So your saying I could go completely cat-less and still pass inspection with the foolers?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
So your saying I could go completely cat-less and still pass inspection with the foolers?

No don't do that, LT headers are way to expensive to try and beat the emissions test (can't be done). When you bolt the headers in you want it to be perfect with no issues, trust me, been there done that. And do Not get Kooks headers, they are garbage. You obviously have emissions regulations so JBA headers are not an option, Kooks headers are a joke, so ARH are your best option.