Hellcat swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly, it would probably be cheaper to just purchase a Ford Raptor. :)

OP
OP
S

Scope432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As much fun as having one of those would be, having a 3/4 ton is handy, plus id rather build something the way I want it instead of buying something.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
I was pretty sure they did. Thanks for confirming!

OP has a 5.7L, do you know if they have a similar setup on them in the HD's?

5.7 doesn't have EGR. It can meet emissions without it.

A Hellcat in a Ram is a hell of an idea. They use virtually the same module and they are the same CAN architecture. The difference is Hellcat doesn't have EGR, but the module does have a baro sensor built into it. There are also a ton of MAP sensors on the Hellcat. You may have to populate some additional pins on the truck harness. The easiest thing might be to just pull out everything under the hood from the car and port it over to truck. You'd also need to swap any necessary modules like the BCM, RF hub, ignition switch, etc. Good luck finding a complete car though.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Might need to get a custom drive shaft also. Not to mention your tranny will be smoked out dead. My advice if you got the cash is a super charger and a back up tranny.

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly, it would probably be cheaper to just purchase a Ford Raptor. :)

Raptor to Hellcat doesn't even compare. I'm sure you know this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This swap is not impossible. If you have enough money...let it fly. What a sweet build this would be.

Edit: I'd love to clarify that I DO NOT have the money. If you do, swing for the fences!

OP
OP
S

Scope432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I've seen, the hellcat smokes the raptor in horsepower and torque.

OP
OP
S

Scope432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might need to get a custom drive shaft also. Not to mention your tranny will be smoked out dead. My advice if you got the cash is a super charger and a back up tranny.
I am a little worried about the tranny, anyone know exactly what the 65rfe trannys can handle? Or is there one that I could get that would be able,to hold up the the horsepower and handle towing anywhere from 5 to 8 ton every ones in a while?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a sales lady friend at a dealer and she told me that one of their techs bought a scat pack challenger and supercharged it and wound up very close to hellcat numbers without the 70+k price tag. What I'm getting at is, it may be more cost effective to do that with your current set up instead of buying an actual hellcat motor which I'm sure isn't going to be cheap.

OP
OP
S

Scope432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even so,I'd still be spending a lot since id proably have to replace most of the internals on my engine. My plan was to buy a wreck hellcat challenger and switch the motor and whatever else id need from the car over to my truck and just splice into my current wiring harness which is what id have to do anyway if id just by the motor itself. I haven't ruled out swapping in a 6.4 hemi truck engine and super charging it since from what I hearing would be my easier route, although I understand non of this is going to be easy or quick. I'm also prepared to spend some,money on it too.

OP
OP
S

Scope432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Raptor to Hellcat doesn't even compare. I'm sure you know this.

Also I'm really not impressed with the raptor since the specs on them aren't much higher when compared to what comes stock in the rams, only 26 more horsepower and 34 more fl-lbs of torque.. I could get that easily out of my current engine with just a few upgrades. So there is little chance id ever want to by a raptor.

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also I'm really not impressed with the raptor since the specs on them aren't much higher when compared to what comes stock in the rams, only 26 more horsepower and 34 more fl-lbs of torque.. I could get that easily out of my current engine with just a few upgrades. So there is little chance id ever want to by a raptor.

Thought the specs I read for the Raptor were something like 450ish hp and 500ftlbs torque. I'm pretty sure that's on the 3.5 ecoboost motor. Not sure how much hp that block can handle, but I'd bet a custom tune and bigger turbos could get it into the 550hp range. I'd worry about popping the motor after that.

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don't know if this was included anywhere in here yet (I didn't see it and the article looked new) but it looks like someone did just this:
2016 Ram 1500 Hellfire

I love the flat black paint (red isn't my color, but could've been worse)
According to the article, biggest issues were:
One of the biggest hurdles came when bypassing the secondary fuel pump that the Challenger was designed for and tricking the computer to sip from a single mechanical fuel pump. “Needless to say, a lot of rewiring and a reflash had to happen,” Mike says. “Luckily, our top tech here at Dallas Dodge, Glen Pribenow was up to the job.”
Many physical modifications had to happen. The engine oil cooler had to be relocated, and the oil circulator was bypassed in favor of a manual pump from Magnuson Superchargers. Even the oil pan fought them and had to be modified to fit its new home. They added a K&N true cold-air intake, and some Kooks headers and exhaust to let the Hellcat inhale and exhale a little easier.
So they had to do an intake / exhaust on a Hellcat?