Help! 09 crank but no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Need help with my 2009 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. Crank but no start. Checked fuses and they're OK. Can't hear fuel pump start when turning ignition key on. Fuel pump fuse is OK. Can't find fuel pump relay to check it. Any ideas? Truck never had any symptoms of fuel pump going bad. Started fine yesterday and today nothing. TIA
https://vimeo.com/197904775

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
There's no relay for the pump, do you have any codes? I just went through this and it ended up being the pump.

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's no relay for the pump, do you have any codes? I just went through this and it ended up being the pump.

No codes at all. Never had any issues, not even hesitation. There is a relay but it's integrated to the TIPM that's why it sucks. Wish i could tell for sure it was the fuel pump and be done with it but a lot of people replaced the pump and still didn't work

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
No codes at all. Never had any issues, not even hesitation. End there is a relay but it's integrated to the TIPM that's why it sucks. Wish i could tell for sure it was the fuel pump and be done with it but a lot of people replaced the pump and still didn't work

You can hard wire the pump and see if it comes on like I did. My pump would barely work so I was glad it wasn't the fuse box.

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can hard wire the pump and see if it comes on like I did. My pump would barely work so I was glad it wasn't the fuse box.

Please tell me how to do that and I'll try anything. Just keep my current weather conditions in mind lol a55b125e38dc1ec6f67818c3b3f91135.jpg

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Please tell me how to do that and I'll try anything. Just keep my current weather conditions in mind lol a55b125e38dc1ec6f67818c3b3f91135.jpg

Well... better bundle up and grab a shovel. You gotta get under the truck to access the harness. There are 4 pins that run the pump, when you look at it the pins are 4,3,2,1 you are going to be using 4 & 1, 1 = hot, 2 = ground. I grabbed some alligator clip jumper wires from Harbor Freight, since the pins are flat you can clamp onto, on the other end of the jumper is another clip, just run you some 18G wire up the the battery and connect to the posts. Your pump should come right on, I found out that mine was intermittent by just touching the "hot" lead to the battery several times as you would turn the key on and off.

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right on! The harness is right by the fuel tank right?

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's on top of the tank, you might be able to reach it through the front of the rear fender.

Well....I had my wife turn ignition on while i hit the gas tank really hard many times with a crow bar and after a few tries and boom! It started. I let it run for a while turn it off b and fired right back up. 4 different times. Might be the pump going out?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Well....I had my wife turn ignition on while i hit the gas tank really hard many times with a crow bar and after a few tries and boom! It started. I let it run for a while turn it off b and fired right back up. 4 different times. Might be the pump going out?

Yup, you got it! I wouldn't let it go for long though, you'll get stranded like I did. I would also recommend buying OEM I'm on my 3rd parts house pump. If I hadn't had a warranty on the pump I would have have bought OEM. I should also mention that I'm on pump 3 in less than 12 months, so I can justify paying $150-200 more for an OEM pump so it doesn't have to be done every 3 months.

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup, you got it! I wouldn't let it go for long though, you'll get stranded like I did. I would also recommend buying OEM I'm on my 3rd parts house pump. If I hadn't had a warranty on the pump I would have have bought OEM. I should also mention that I'm on pump 3 in less than 12 months, so I can justify paying $150-200 more for an OEM pump so it doesn't have to be done every 3 months.

Wow! 3 pumps in one year??? Is that even possible? Maybe something is frying your pumps? And do you do it yourself or pay somebody?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Wow! 3 pumps in one year??? Is that even possible? Maybe something is frying your pumps? And do you do it yourself or pay somebody?

Yeah, the first went bad with the sending unit, second was probably my fault, but out of my hands at the time and burnt up. This one still isn't right, but it gets me down the road and I don't have time to put another in right now.

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, the first went bad with the sending unit, second was probably my fault, but out of my hands at the time and burnt up. This one still isn't right, but it gets me down the road and I don't have time to put another in right now.

Which one are the one you got so i don't buy them? Did you get them online?

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it was "Precision" from O'Reilly ... the only one they carried.

Oh man. So the 60 to 80 Dollar pumps from eBay are even worse uh? I really don't wanna spend over 300 for an OEM pump

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Oh man. So the 60 to 80 Dollar pumps from eBay are even worse uh? I really don't wanna spend over 300 for an OEM pump

Hell no! I'll never buy electronics from Ebay, you're definitely gambling with that. I understand about $300 for OEM, you can probably get away with an aftermarket pump from the parts house (just make sure it carries AT LEAST a 1 year warranty. If mine goes out again I'll be spending the money to go OEM, that's why I recommended an OEM just to keep folks from going through what I did.

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hell no! I'll never buy electronics from Ebay, you're definitely gambling with that. I understand about $300 for OEM, you can probably get away with an aftermarket pump from the parts house (just make sure it carries AT LEAST a 1 year warranty. If mine goes out again I'll be spending the money to go OEM, that's why I recommended an OEM just to keep folks from going through what I did.

I agree with you. If it was super easy to replace the pump I'd go cheap with warranty and return it if anything goes wrong. I'll do some research on aftermarket fuel pumps and see if i can find something with good reviews. Do you change the pumps yourself? Or have a mechanic do it?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I agree with you. If it was super easy to replace the pump I'd go cheap with warranty and return it if anything goes wrong. I'll do some research on aftermarket fuel pumps and see if i can find something with good reviews. Do you change the pumps yourself? Or have a mechanic do it?

I did it myself, after 3 pumps I got a pretty good method now I think. Just gotta drop the tank, knock the ring off, pull the pump and then repeat.

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did it myself, after 3 pumps I got a pretty good method now I think. Just gotta drop the tank, knock the ring off, pull the pump and then repeat.

I'm planning on doing it myself too. Never done it before but that's how you learn. My problem is that i have over a half tank of gas right now

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
i have over a half tank of gas right now

Yup, they seem to go out right after you fill up. I had 3/4 of a tank, I used a jack stand and my OEM scissor jack. Make sure you disconnect everything before dropping the tank. Give me a few hours to get home and I pull everything out on my computer and do a write-up for you so you don't make the mistakes I did.