Help Again Please Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adams2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I Changed My T-Stat Saturday
Lost A Little Bit Of Coolant
Dident Know The Difference
So I Toped It Off With A Gallon
Of Preston Coolant
Found Out That Was A Bad Idea

So I Went To Dodge Today
Bought The Right Mopar Coolant
$100 For 2 Gallons

I Did Not Know How To Pull Drian Plug On
Rad.. So I Disconected to Bottom Rad
Hose And Flush it For A Couple Min
Also Flushed The Resivor
When I Went To Put The Coolant
It Only Took 1-1/2 Gallons
Then Filled Couldent Even Put Water
So I Drained Some Coolant To Put Some Distilled
Water....Will I Be Ok And Do You Think
That The All The Prestone Is Out?
Only Took Off Bottom Rad Hose
And Left Started For A Little Bit To Let It Heat Up
To Make Rest Of Coolant Come Out

Did I Do Anything Wrong Or Will I Be Ok???

shawnb1043

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds pretty good. just hope its close to a 50/50 mixture. If you flushed it good enough you should be fine.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think it would take more than 1 1/2 gals. to fill an empty system but I could be wrong. The radiator alone should hold at least 2 gals.

What do ya'll think????

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
There's an allen key nut at the top of the engine, turn it a bit, it will let the system burp. Have a friend open it occasionally with the engine running, keep an eye on coolant level. Get all that air out.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
There's an allen key nut at the top of the engine, turn it a bit, it will let the system burp. Have a friend open it occasionally with the engine running, keep an eye on coolant level. Get all that air out.

By the T-stat housings?

I just changed my T-stat too and added probably a quart and half of the Zerex G05 with some distilled water.

I didnt burb it. Didn't know you could on these trucks.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
Yes, by the tsat housing. If all you changed was the tsat air should just work its way up to the reservoir. But the OP emptied his system, it should take more than 1 1/2 gals.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You are never supposed to put hose water in the Radiator. If you ever do you should at a minimum have a filter on it. You are only supposed to use distilled water. The fact you drained some and put distilled wont protect you. You really need to buy some RMI 25 and that stuff protects your radiator when someone runs hose water in their vehicle. It will not mess with your mixture and mixes with any coolant. It will keep the minerals from rusting the engine and radiator. Many places can test your coolant mix level, definitely get that done. I once ruined my favorite truck running hose water and not burping the system and the level got low and rusted out. So now I'm kinda **** on it. RMI 25 should be in every radiator, it is that good.