Help Identify this Tapping Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2011 Ram 1500 - 95000 Miles

Is this the start of a lifter going bad? Truck runs fine and no check engine light.

https://youtu.be/lIUGV26OuuQ

I really thought it was a busted chain guide or tensioner so I replaced the timing chain, crank gear, cam phaser, tensioner, guide and water pump. This video was taken just after I finished the job. :whymewhyme::whymewhyme:

Thanks in advance.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it change frequency with throttle application?

i.e. does it get faster as you give it more throttle?

I, too, would have thought it was timing related at first!

OP
OP
R

RAMNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does it change frequency with throttle application?

i.e. does it get faster as you give it more throttle?

I, too, would have thought it was timing related at first!

It does get faster as you raise the RPM's but it seems to get quieter. I can not hear it while driving at highway speeds.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It sounds like hemi tick to me, not as bad as mine used to be. Search hemi tick in advanced titles, tons of stuff.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Have you ruled out any of the pullies?

OP
OP
R

RAMNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you ruled out any of the pullies?

Yep, first thing I did was pull the serp belt but the noise never changed.
I went all over the engine with a screw driver to the ear trick trying to pin point the noise. The only place that sounded close was right on the thermostat housing. So I figured it had to be behind the timing cover.
What about a cracked flex plate? Anyone ever hear of a 4th Gen Ram with that problem?
I think at this point I may have to bite the bullet and let the dealer diagnose this.

OP
OP
R

RAMNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
haw about a manifold leak?

Like an exhaust leak? It sounds very "tinny" and its not rhythmic at all. I dont think it's manifold leak but I could be wrong.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yep, first thing I did was pull the serp belt but the noise never changed.
I went all over the engine with a screw driver to the ear trick trying to pin point the noise. The only place that sounded close was right on the thermostat housing. So I figured it had to be behind the timing cover.
What about a cracked flex plate? Anyone ever hear of a 4th Gen Ram with that problem?
I think at this point I may have to bite the bullet and let the dealer diagnose this.

Personally never ran into a cracked flexplate on a hemi. Seen a few on the 3.6 though. It’s hard to say because the noise doesn’t have a rhythm to it like most engine related noises do. Could have a cracked rocker arm, but you’d be able to pin point that with a stethoscope.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Like an exhaust leak? It sounds very "tinny" and its not rhythmic at all. I dont think it's manifold leak but I could be wrong.

It sure sounds like an exhaust leak to me to,i'd check manifold bolts,especially the back ones,if you can grab the heat shields towards the back,and they move or rattle,odds are you have broken bolts.

OP
OP
R

RAMNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It sure sounds like an exhaust leak to me to,i'd check manifold bolts,especially the back ones,if you can grab the heat shields towards the back,and they move or rattle,odds are you have broken bolts.

Funny, now that you mention it I know I have the manifold leak on the passenger side and just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. I'll be checking this first thing in the morning.
"Can't see the forest for the trees!"

Thank you!

OP
OP
R

RAMNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update - Took it to an independent shop and the mechanic removed left side valve cover and started it up. Said def need lifters. So hopefully I caught it before it ate the cam like so many others.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Update - Took it to an independent shop and the mechanic removed left side valve cover and started it up. Said def need lifters. So hopefully I caught it before it ate the cam like so many others.

Sounded like a lifter needle brgs. for the roller part of the lifter to me.
If you can handle doing the timing chain yourself, you should be able to handle pulling the heads and replacing lifters. Save yourself some money.
Once you get the heads and lifters out, you should be able to get your head down in there and inspect the cam.

OP
OP
R

RAMNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Yoda, as it turns out the mechanic got burned with some hot coolant and will be out till next week. The shop is towing the truck back to my house and I'll be doing the lifter swap. Save me 2k so thats a :happy107:
They were actually very happy as it now frees them up because they are very short handed. They are even towing it for free.

I noticed in the service manual is calling for a push rod retainer tool 9070. Does this really need to used to pull the rocker shafts and to remove the heads?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks Yoda, as it turns out the mechanic got burned with some hot coolant and will be out till next week. The shop is towing the truck back to my house and I'll be doing the lifter swap. Save me 2k so thats a :happy107:
They were actually very happy as it now frees them up because they are very short handed. They are even towing it for free.

I noticed in the service manual is calling for a push rod retainer tool 9070. Does this really need to used to pull the rocker shafts and to remove the heads?

No, I actually don't use it and don't think it helps that much.
Going back togeather when you reinstall the pushrods, you kinda have to do it by feel, you can tell when the pushrod is down in the cup or pocket of the lifter, then carefuly and evenly tighten the rocker shafts without letting the top of the pushrods fall off the rockers. Kinda hard to explain, sounds harder than it is.
Before you reinstall the valve covers, bar the motor over and make sure all the valves are opening and closing.(easier with spark plugs out)

OP
OP
R

RAMNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the quick reply....I've done some engine work in my time so I know what your talking about. Just have never done a hemi.