Help with leaking oil/fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rowdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, new here and I am looking for some help with the pic. Found this leak the other day and am having trouble finding the cause.

Brought it to the dealer and they said the last oil change was "messy" and this was residual oil "leaking"down. The last oil change was over 5k miles ago so that would have long burned off by now but they say they didn't find any loose plugs, etc.

About a week ago or so I engaged the 4x4 for the first time driving around some water (I live in southeast Texas). Only reason I bring that up is someone said it could be the 4x4 but wasn't sure.

Does anyone know what the silver part is with the oil dripping from it? Understandably the oil could be coming from higher up but I figure it is a good place to start. I don't know much about vehicles but any help or advice on the part itself or color of oil and what it might be is appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• Ram 1500.jpg
    Ram 1500.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 82

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The silver unit is your electric power steering. Your oil filter is right above that. I would make sure your oil filter is tight and wipe off all the oil and keep an eye on it.

It is probably your typical dealer service. Drip oil everywhere removing the oil filter and instead of taking 1 minute to wipe it off they just push it out the door and call it done.

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Check for 2-oil filter gaskets, could just be a defective filter, threads not machined square with sealing flange, replace oil filter (good quality 1's suggested throughout forum)

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Waste a can of brake kleen on the filter and surrounding area and wipe everything clean you can reach. Check after a couple days.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
^^^^ thats what i would do, clean it real good go for a drive and then crawl under there and see what's what.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963