help understanding CIA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tribalsamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 1500 express with the 5.7 hemi and Im wanting to go with a CIA, after reading most of the threads on S&B and Volant, I am seeing about half and half for both. Can you guys help me understand the differences in the two? I noticed a lot of people say the Volant is much more expensive but from what Im finding its only around $30 difference. The S&B is $299 on auto anything and the Volant is $323. Im trying to boost my mpg mostly, and any power increase of course would be great, and maybe a little better sound. Thanks in advance for the help.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are looking to join the CIA that's one thing... But if you would like advise on a CAI than you've come to the right place. :)

Moe's would be a great source: Cold Air Intakes

The Vararam tends to make a little more power, and the S&B appears to be better quality... I have had the Volant, and I now have the Vararam. The Volant was great, but I like the looks of the Vararam better (I modified mine a bit).

Attachments

• 1 Engine Bay 5.jpg
    1 Engine Bay 5.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 1 Engine Bay 1.jpg
    1 Engine Bay 1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
T

tribalsamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess my biggest issue is figuring out the differences between them and how to decide which one. Going at it from a stance where price does not really matter, why choose Volant over s&b or visaversa. Or why vararam? Vararam is a completely different approach as to location and size, Im trying to figure out which works best overall and why.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am pretty sure the consensus on this forum would be S&B over Volant, due to quality and fit of the S&B.
The Vararam over the S&B for performance, depending on how and where you use your truck.

VegasDragger45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DavidRam you need to remove that stock airbox bracket. Thing sticks out in the pictures.

First question is do you live where it's cold/Snow? If so then you need to go with the S&B intake. I live in Vegas and run the S&B I prefer the look of it over the Varaam.

OP
OP
T

tribalsamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in mid Alabama, where its hot most of the time, and only wet during the cold months haha

VegasDragger45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok then either intake will work for your location. It all comes down to preference. I prefer a closed box intake. Plus I like the look of the S&B better

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DavidRam you need to remove that stock airbox bracket. Thing sticks out in the pictures.

Only problem is the stock airbox bracket supports the inner fender.
S&B makes a damn good product better then any other for quality and craftsmanship imo. but the Vararam makes alot more performance, merely just in his design, no restriction its air filter to throttle body. It basically lets more air in or available with no restriction, if your in a snowy area alot recommend the S&B to keep out the weather from the filter.

Either the S&B or Vararam would be a good choice with no regret

OP
OP
T

tribalsamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds good, I'm going to research vararam a little bit but I'm thinking more on the side of S&B. Now my next question, dry or oil?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only problem is the stock airbox bracket supports the inner fender.

I didn't know that. Well now I feel like a ****. ha

Nah, I didn't know it either till I went to rip it off when I put in my Vararam....

Now the thing to say is DavidRam need to make a nice fancy bracket that looks better to replace the ugly stock airbox bracket and then make one for me too hint hint wink wink

Sounds good, I'm going to research vararam a little bit but I'm thinking more on the side of S&B. Now my next question, dry or oil?

Thats a personal preference, I prefer the dry. Mostly cause the oiled always end up in a nasty clumped up mess of oil and dust. Its recommended that road driving in no dusty areas the dry is the one to use and in dusty area the oiled is the way to go.
I ran a dry on my 07 CTD that was turned up and sucked some serious air into the turbo, and worked in the rice fields with it and that dust and **** gets everywhere.. I never had a issue with the dry or anything in my intake tube so I take the recommendations with a grain of salt and ran what I preferred, which was the dry.

Last edited:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
. Im trying to boost my mpg mostly, and any power increase of course would be great, and maybe a little better sound.

Buy it for looks, buy it for sound, buy it for 'whatever', but you'll never recoup the cost of any CAI in increased MPG.

If MPG is goal #1, drive conservatively and keep a clean, quality filter in the OEM system.

(Yeah,,, boring,, I know,,,)

AkMOPOWR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I noticed a mild difference in sound output with Vararam over stock on my 2013 5.7L. The major difference with Vararam is on the highway at speed where the air is essentially "rammed" into the throttle body by the air intake so your pedal travel is less when accelerating. I removed the Vararam intake off the truck this past weekend and drove around with a stock set-up for a few days so the comparison between it and stock is fresh in my mind... err, foot :)

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is a treat yourself to a little butt-dyno improvement thing, not an answer to driving a gas-pig.

I heard all the RF 1/4 milers talking Vararam and then saw and felt one on a buddy's truck. Then I got a good look at how well made and how natural the S&B looks in the engine bay and I was sold.

I have had my S&B for almost 3 years now (33K miles). I get just a little throttle noise over stock--not stupid loud like K&N, and I can feel a little difference in throttle response--but as stated above, a CAI is not going to pay for itself in gas mileage. I went oiled filter and clean it religiously twice a year unless I've been off-roading.

:burnout:

OP
OP
T

tribalsamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the input, I like the vararam but the S&B looks cleaner. Understanding it won't boost mpg much but from previous car experience I've isually gotten a small small bump. I've figured out that driving it like its a glass house gets the best mpg, and I'm trying out a Fitch fuel online catalyst, so we'll see what happens! I guess really in the back of my head I'm mostly just spending money to make it sick instead of mpg haha.

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like the thread is down to just the SB and vararam any reason nobody runs the KN intakes?

VegasDragger45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like the thread is down to just the SB and vararam any reason nobody runs the KN intakes?

There is a few guys in my cc that run them and are ok with them but not huge fans. I wouldn't do an open Intake besides the vararam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is what I did. I love the Air Grabber, but they don't make it for my gen III so I grafted one to fit with a custom snorkel air ram scoop I made using the "lost foam" method. It not only looks old school, but it's functional and I have already seen an increase in my gas mileage from just adding the snorkel scoop. It feeds air from the high pressure area in the front of my grill as you can see directly into the air cleaner. It detaches with "mini push latches", real cool, just push the buttons in and the scoop lifts right out and then "snaps" right back into place upon return. I'm going to add a functional hood with scoop later because the Air Grabber has been modified to seal to the bottom of my hood, I had to build the seals up in order for then to reach the hood, but now there's a seal ring around the bottom of the hood where you can see where it's sealing. Feedback is welcomed, suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20150728_192149_369.jpg
    IMG_20150728_192149_369.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 30