Hemi long tubes or short?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhatsupDIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay guys I have a 2012 ram 1500 hemi sport with the 5.7 in it. 6 speed automatic with the slap shifter so I can down shift as much as I want as if it's manual. My question is should I go long tubes or short tube headers and which brand should I go with? I've heard short tubes are better for automatics because the peak of the horsepower is in lower rpm ranges and most automatics you can't control the rpm range but with the slap shifter I can. Any Thoughts or suggestions? Also does anyone know a horsepower difference I should expect with the headers and custom exhaust put on simultaneously? Rough estimate of course.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Okay guys I have a 2012 ram 1500 hemi sport with the 5.7 in it. 6 speed automatic with the slap shifter so I can down shift as much as I want as if it's manual. My question is should I go long tubes or short tube headers and which brand should I go with? I've heard short tubes are better for automatics because the peak of the horsepower is in lower rpm ranges and most automatics you can't control the rpm range but with the slap shifter I can. Any Thoughts or suggestions? Also does anyone know a horsepower difference I should expect with the headers and custom exhaust put on simultaneously? Rough estimate of course.

I would do JBA 1 3/4 long tube headers ceramic coated, stage 8 header bolts, and a Diablo tuner with custom tune. Keep the rest of the exhaust system stock.
Stay away from Kooks headers.
Do you have emissions requirments?

OP
OP
W

WhatsupDIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would do JBA 1 3/4 long tube headers ceramic coated, stage 8 header bolts, and a Diablo tuner with custom tune. Keep the rest of the exhaust system stock.

Stay away from Kooks headers.

Do you have emissions requirments?

Why keep the rest of the exhaust system stock? And yes emissions is required in the state of Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Why keep the rest of the exhaust system stock? And yes emissions is required in the state of Maryland.

I don't think JBA has a mid pipe with catalytic converters so you might need American Racing Headers with high flow cats. But that's $$$$.
The long tube headers make the exhaust so loud the stock muffler and dual exhaust is all you need. Maybe a muffler swap to get a more aggressive sound down the road but I would stay away from chamberd mufflers.
The bigger question is do you want to spend the money for 20-30 HP?
I went with Kooks $1700, jet hot ceramic coating $600, shipping $170, tools $400, new muffler with clamps $200 All for 20 horse power. Not worth it. But that's just my opinion, many other love the long tube headers.

OP
OP
W

WhatsupDIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So your telling me on these trucks our cats are on the headers?

OP
OP
W

WhatsupDIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh okay gotcha well I know a guy that does amazing exhaust systems in my area he custom makes them welds all the brackets and the piping together etc he's really good. So Ima get my exhaust through him but yeah I think Ima go with the headers quoted previously they have very good reviews

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Kooks and ARH offer a complete header system that have cats built into the Mid pipe or you can go catless. They offer both.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Oh okay gotcha well I know a guy that does amazing exhaust systems in my area he custom makes them welds all the brackets and the piping together etc he's really good. So Ima get my exhaust through him but yeah I think Ima go with the headers quoted previously they have very good reviews

Wish I had an exhaust guy, my mid pipe is leaking like a civ Lol......

OP
OP
W

WhatsupDIRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where are you located

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would go long tubes if your looking for the best performance and can swing the cash, but anything is better than the stock exhaust manifolds IMO.

I just put on some ARH long tubes with cats the day before yesterday, $1655.00 from Moe's. I'm loving them so far, can definitely feel a difference in power, and truck sounds like a beast. The Y pipe lined up flawlessly with my stock exhaust and no leaks so far. The only thing I did not like about the fitment is how close the drivers side header and Y pipe sets to my brake lines, but with some cool tape, reflective shielding, and a little header wrap everything seems to be doing fine. I would definitely buy and do again.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963