Hemi on Moonshine..... HECK YEAH!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Youse guys don't think Hemifever would let him run lean do ya?

interesting and informative discussion

My additional concern is what about the water that alcohol likes to bring into the mix?

I'm not saying Sean would let him run lean by any means, I'm simply pointing out that his AFR gauge is not set to the correct Lambda value for E85. As for the water that could be absorbed into the E85, it would be so minimal that it wouldn't matter, and at best, consider it a poor mans water injection.

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The title of this thread caught my attention.

Will have to read more before I shoot my mouth off with a dumb question. :crazy:

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: The EVIC is way off. It still says I am getting 18 mpg. I just did a hand calculation and I am getting 13.1 with E85. This makes more sense since you have to burn 30% more E85 to equal gas. It is still cheaper than running 91 or 93 octane gas. I am going to keep running the E85 since my truck runs way stronger and it only cost me a little more than Regular 87 octane fuel.

But does that mean more trips to the gas station?

OP
OP
Jerseymike

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. More trips to the gas station. I used 1/2 a tank in a week, which cost me $24 to fill. Not bad. But I now wonder what mileage I was getting on gas. The EVIC said 18 mpgs but now I know not to trust the EVIC. If I go back to gas I will have to hand calculate that.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is there any update on this conversion? Are the fuel pumps different as stated above?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. More trips to the gas station. I used 1/2 a tank in a week, which cost me $24 to fill. Not bad. But I now wonder what mileage I was getting on gas. The EVIC said 18 mpgs but now I know not to trust the EVIC. If I go back to gas I will have to hand calculate that.

Could always get a in bed fuel tank to make less trips

Sent from the fetal position using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jerseymike

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there any update on this conversion? Are the fuel pumps different as stated above?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

There are 2 part numbers but it looks like they are interchangeable. Either way they are both tested to run in Ethanol fuels. See link below.

According to this Delphi Tech Bulletin the fuel pump has been tested in "Corrosive E22 and E95 Environments for a long life". Ethanol is hygroscopic, tends to attract water, and this is when it becomes corrosive. So, if you park your truck all winter, you wouldn't want to leave a tank full of E85. Since I drive my truck daily and year round this will not be an issue for me.

More Information for DELPHI FG1439

Last edited:

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
what about the poor kids in the ghetto's of the USA, with less corn the price of unhealthy but cheap snacks ie chips will go up in price. Oh well as you make more trips to fetch e85 the kids will make more trips to Rotten Ronnys I guess.

CDNUSER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Watch a doc called "Fuel" on netflix. Ethanol be made with all sorts of crops not just corn, heck even moon shine as the title here suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The 12.7 afr statement is inaccurate. That's a gas reading and not accurate on the e85 config.

Bingo.

Also, Sean, you feel like trying this on my truck?

so can this be run in the long term or just an every once in a while thing since nowhere in our manual nor anything else states It's safe to run E85

tuned by Jay Greene

What Jerseymike says

The manual also doesn't recommend an aftermarket tuner, headers, wider tires, ported throttle body, etc.

Hahahaha, hit the nail on the head here. :roflsquared:

That E85 isn't going to hurt anything on these new trucks unless you are running lean then you will eventually torch a hole through something. Alcohol only has 1/2 the BTU's of gas which means you need twice as much to get the same result. I only mention this because I used to help on a Alcohol funny car and man they can drink it. 18MPG with 4:10's no way!

Even running lean on E85 causes far less damage than running lean on gasoline. The higher octane, higher specific heat, and higher latent heat of vaporization make E85 a much safer fuel, especially for boosted cars.

It's not lean. That is why it is burning 35% more fuel. The O2 sensors read using lambda and the PCM/Diablosport converts the reading into a gas AFR scale. If it converted to an E85 scale it would be at 7.7. If it were that lean it would run like crap. Lean symptoms are: hesitation, knock and over heating. I am getting 0 knock on both long term and short term scales, chirping tires while shifting into 2nd, and the exhaust gas temps are 1250F while cruising and 1650F after a 1/4 mile WOT run.

And the fuel trims are better than they were on gas.

Bingo.

I'm not saying Sean would let him run lean by any means, I'm simply pointing out that his AFR gauge is not set to the correct Lambda value for E85. As for the water that could be absorbed into the E85, it would be so minimal that it wouldn't matter, and at best, consider it a poor mans water injection.

Lambda is Lambda. Doesn't matter if you're running E85 or gasoline, the Lambda is about the same. The AFR is what changes because of the stoichiometric ratio difference.