Hemi Tick fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BamaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I waited a long time before committing to buying my Ram. There's a lot of bad information about this problem out there because these trucks have always been bad about manifold gaskets and bolts. About 10 years ago I was going to buy a very well taken care of 06 Ram from a woman who's husband had passed away and he was in his late 70's. It was well taken care of. She was asking a little too much for it but it was super clean. I started it and it sounded like someone was beating the side of the block with a . Even after it ran for 20 minutes it was still just as loud. Those lifters were leaking down. Now a few generations later has the lifter problem been resolved? That lady ended up only getting half what they told her it was worth and they took the repair cost for replacing the lifters out of what they gave her. I love my truck but I don't want to go through that. Thanks in advance for any knowledge on this

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do you have a tick now? Run a search titles only hem tick, tons of threads on it. Seams about 50/50 lifters to exhaust bolts.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
In the 4th gens (2009-2018), if its not the manifolds, its mostly just an annoyance. Different oils seem to resolve it or minimize it for different folks. My wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee also does it, its just not as noticeable because they put more sound-insulation in that thing to make it quieter. Pennzoil Ultra minimizes it for me.

Startup tick that goes away after a few minutes or less = exhaust manifolds. Covered under powertrain warranty.