Hesitation/Struggle during 1st start up of day...solutions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
New truck - less than 1,500 miles on it...

1st start of the day or after the truck sits for about a half day...the truck has a hesitation/struggle to start. I'm not sure how to describe it, but just takes a few extra seconds to start and it sounds rough. It will start up after pressing the button...but it's slightly embarrassing that a hemi struggles. Every other start during the day/night - it fires up nicely!

I've read some posts on possible solutions such as fuel cleaners, changing spark plugs, etc.

Anyone else have this issue and fixed it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like a few extra cranks? Mine did this to a point when it had around 1500-2000 miles on it. I bought my truck in March 2013 and it was still cold out. But the time I had 1500 miles on it, it was May and it had warmed up considerably. That's when it started to struggle to start. It did that throughout that summer and by the fall it was starting normally.

Its weird because its been starting fine ever since. Almost brought it to the dealer but it stopped.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's actually a few threads from different forums out there that talk about this very same thing. Mine does it. Watch my video below. Is this what you're talking about? It seems to come and go. Lately, it hasn't really been doing it. I'm sure it will come back eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fusdPxplqDg

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
yep my 2015 big horn does this. got the truck with 7 miles and now have 4k on it... still doest it often... maybe it has something to do with it being new..?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would run techron and try 91 octane with it and see if it changes at all.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's actually a few threads from different forums out there that talk about this very same thing. Mine does it. Watch my video below. Is this what you're talking about? It seems to come and go. Lately, it hasn't really been doing it. I'm sure it will come back eventually.

One tiny hiccup from a high powered V-8 is unacceptable?

What about this one...? Unacceptable? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIOXdfY9t8U

OP, if you're really concerned, take it in. It's new, it has a warranty. Sorry, but I'm not seeing a problem. Maybe I've spent too much time around big cam V-8's.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see a problem either. It shakes just a touch but it could be the fuel. I highly doubt it is the engine. Mine starts up perfect everytime.

OP
OP
U

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Like a few extra cranks? Mine did this to a point when it had around 1500-2000 miles on it. I bought my truck in March 2013 and it was still cold out. But the time I had 1500 miles on it, it was May and it had warmed up considerably. That's when it started to struggle to start. It did that throughout that summer and by the fall it was starting normally.

Its weird because its been starting fine ever since. Almost brought it to the dealer but it stopped.

Yeah a few extras seconds...

Yes - exactly like yours on occasions and sometimes worse.

What about this one...? Unacceptable? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIOXdfY9t8U

OP, if you're really concerned, take it in. It's new, it has a warranty. Sorry, but I'm not seeing a problem. Maybe I've spent too much time around big cam V-8's.

I don't see a problem either. It shakes just a touch but it could be the fuel. I highly doubt it is the engine. Mine starts up perfect everytime.

I know it's not a major problem, but I just thought a Hemi wouldn't make such a weak start. Also a newbie to the Ram and this forum...just seeing if I am in the same boat as everyone else:)

Thanks all for the replies!

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you're trying to quote me, then no where did I say "unacceptable". I was inquiring about something I noticed as does a lot of people. It's one of the main purposes of these forums.

Maybe I've spent too much time around big cam V-8's.

Oh that's probably the reason. Just too bad ass to notice the little things....lol. Go away.

Last edited:

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would run techron and try 91 octane with it and see if it changes at all.

I run 91 octane pure gas. It comes and goes. Lately, it hasn't been doing it. No rhyme or reason as far as I can tell.

OP
OP
U

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Sir John,

How many miles do you have on your truck?

OP
OP
U

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
10,000 miles now - still hesitates/little rough 1st start of the day. Starts right up every other time throughout the day.

The only thing I wondering is I park on a slight incline (rear is slightly higher than front).

Used only 89 so I could try 91 for a tank and see what happens or try techron.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I think it has something to do with the MDS lifters settling. They need oil pressure to operate. I have yet to hear of this happening with a HD truck with a 5.7 because they do not have MDS.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My truck has started this recently. Over the past three weeks, every time I start it for the first time it struggles to start. It has never done it before and I have owned the truck since new. It had 7 miles on it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
If it were a carbureted vehicle, I'd look to bad choke adjustment, bad needle and seat, bad float level. Since it's FI, I'd guess the equivalent, maybe leaky injector (s), flooding some cylinder (s). Maybe if you checked the plugs in the morning, before you start it, you'd find some are wet with fuel. Just spit-balling, here.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
If it were a carbureted vehicle, I'd look to bad choke adjustment, bad needle and seat, bad float level. Since it's FI, I'd guess the equivalent, maybe leaky injector (s), flooding some cylinder (s). Maybe if you checked the plugs in the morning, before you start it, you'd find some are wet with fuel. Just spit-balling, here.

You mean like a flat lifter not opening up the intake valve until it gets oil pressure after 3 or 4 shots of fuel land on it?

I still believe it has a lot to do with the MDS lifters. They have had some issues with collapsed lifters in hemis that fail to pump up. No surprise that they may weep a little and drain back after sitting.

rblakes1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it has something to do with the MDS lifters settling. They need oil pressure to operate. I have yet to hear of this happening with a HD truck with a 5.7 because they do not have MDS.
I have a 2012 2500 with the 5.7 and its been hesitating for a month or so now, I havent had time to look into it yet. Plugs were changed around 96k, Truck has 110k on it now.

Come to think of it, it started not long after the new plugs were put in. I'll have to look into that this weekend

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My truck has started this recently. Over the past three weeks, every time I start it for the first time it struggles to start. It has never done it before and I have owned the truck since new. It had 7 miles on it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mine is the same, I bought it new,6 months later it sometimes still delays in the morning

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I have a 2012 2500 with the 5.7 and its been hesitating for a month or so now, I havent had time to look into it yet. Plugs were changed around 96k, Truck has 110k on it now.

Come to think of it, it started not long after the new plugs were put in. I'll have to look into that this weekend

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Yeah, mds lifters is not your problem lol I've never had this with the '06 or the '11, both 2500. Look at the plugs and see if one cylinder looks different than the rest. Also, did you get coppers or iridium?