High Coolant temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, noticed on the drive home that my coolant temp was at 203 consistently on the highway at 70-80mph and dropped to 197 at 50-60mph. Ambient temp was 90 degrees and the truck did read 100 degrees when I got in it. I've got the 180 thermo and the fan temps are set at whatever the hemifever tune came with. I made sure to install the burp valve up on the thermo as well.

This seems high to me even with the given temps, anyone else experienced the same? I've seen a ton of people say that they stay at 185 no problem.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys, noticed on the drive home that my coolant temp was at 203 consistently on the highway at 70-80mph and dropped to 197 at 50-60mph. Ambient temp was 90 degrees and the truck did read 100 degrees when I got in it. I've got the 180 thermo and the fan temps are set at whatever the hemifever tune came with. I made sure to install the burp valve up on the thermo as well.

This seems high to me even with the given temps, anyone else experienced the same? I've seen a ton of people say that they stay at 185 no problem.
Did you get Sean to update your tune for the 180 tstat? Making sure I'm reading your comment right.

I was holding steady at 185 degrees with ambient temps around 70. Today we hit mid to upper 80s (87 on the dash) and my temps on the drive home were fluctuating from 185 - 192. It hit 194 once after stomping it from the light but no higher than that.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, Sean updated for the thermo. I double checked to make sure.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Yup, Sean updated for the thermo. I double checked to make sure.
Do you have clutch fan removed and just running stock efan? I can't remember your setup...lol

Before I did efan conversion this weekend, the stock clutch fan/ac fan combo kept the temp firmly at 185 and no fluctuation.

It does seem a little high for where you've adjusted things to be at.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just some thoughts on this subject. I do believe the radiators on our 1500 Rams are a bit undersized to keep coolant temperatures high. Thats good for emissions. Not good for power. A properly sized radiator will efficiently shed engine produced heat, even in extreme conditions, so that coolant temperatures will remain at, or within one or two degrees of installed thermostat calibration.
In the days before our present super tight emissions, if one installed a 180 degree thermostat for example, coolant temperatures typically were very close to 180 degrees, as OEMs weren't as concerned with emissions as cooling efficiency. In my 2011 3500 Ram Cummins, coolant temps with the 190 degree thermostat I installed (down from the OEM 203), stayed @ 190 degrees regardless how hard I worked the truck, whether AC was on or off, or ambient temperatures. That truck had a huge radiator, as the truck was meant to work.
I installed a 170 degree thermostat in my 2012 Boss 302 Mustang, and even during very hard running on hot days, coolant temperatures sit at 170 degrees. They climb when I stop moving, but drop right back down when under way again. That car has a very large, all aluminum radiator.
I've got a 180 degree thermostat in my 2017 Ram, and coolant temps fluctuate from 185 up to 190, typically remaining between 186 and 188. My shutters are all removed, save the uppermost and lowest one.
I've not found any supplier that offers a performance radiator for our trucks. Personally think the only way to really keep coolant temps equal to installed thermostat calibrations would be to have a custom, all aluminum performance radiator fabricated, or source a radiator from a 2008 - 2012 Ram with Cummins, with all of it's attendant attaching pieces and try to install it in a 1500, but even with that, a lot of component relocation and fabrication would be necessary.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have none of the items in the above post so I to see temps anywhere from 196-203, for some strange reason this does not concern me. Good luck with your issue. If I remember correctly my tranny temp is right around 180 and oil temp sits right around 210ish. Not sure if any of those numbers should concern me or not. I believe the temps are the same as before the install of the long tubes Vararam etc etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do have the clutch fan removed as well

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Seems high with a 180 T-stat and fan temps turned down. Especially driving on the highway.

I have a 180 thermo and tuned fan temps.
Mine stays around 185 most the time. I think it has gotten 197 before sitting in traffic but it usually will go back down when the fan kicks on.

I can't recall the last time it was over 200* besides when I first bought with the stock thermo.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah idk the deal... 70-80 puts it about 7-10 degrees hotter

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same problem. I have seen the temp up to 217*. I wonder if maybe we have bad t-stats.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem. I have seen the temp up to 217*. I wonder if maybe we have bad t-stats.

I think if the tstat was bad, mine would be much higher. Yours seems really high. What were ambient temp when you experience 217? Did you install it with the burp/dog bone valve at the highest point?

These things do go bad. I had a Jet 180 in my 2006 300C that I had to replace after 35K-45K miles. I don't remember what the temps were hitting to warrant me checking it, but I think it was the 215 to 225 range.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I read a lot of guys removing the fan clutch and fan and just running an electric fan, I don't see how an electric fan can move as much air as a fan clutch.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read a lot of guys removing the fan clutch and fan and just running an electric fan, I don't see how an electric fan can move as much air as a fan clutch.

It's not that it's enough, it's that the size of the electric fan is sufficient enough to keep the coolant temp down with the 180 thermo and adjusting the on/off settings.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's not that it's enough, it's that the size of the electric fan is sufficient enough to keep the coolant temp down with the 180 thermo and adjusting the on/off settings.

Thats what i am saying, can you fit a big enough electric fan in there to equal what a fan clutch can pull?
There are a few Chrysler vehicles like the Liberty, if you get it with trailer tow you get a fan clutch. without trailer tow an electric fan.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I meant *not enough. Apparently the electric fan that I already have should be sufficient.

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think if the tstat was bad, mine would be much higher. Yours seems really high. What were ambient temp when you experience 217? Did you install it with the burp/dog bone valve at the highest point?

These things do go bad. I had a Jet 180 in my 2006 300C that I had to replace after 35K-45K miles. I don't remember what the temps were hitting to warrant me checking it, but I think it was the 215 to 225 range.

I am in Arizona so the temps have been in the 100's. When I first got the Tstat my temps would stay at 194 no matter what.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
We hit low 90s today for the first time and did some driving thru the mountains with max ac.

Highest I hit was 194 so I think I'm pleased with the average running temps since going to the efan only.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We hit low 90s today for the first time and did some driving thru the mountains with max ac.

Highest I hit was 194 so I think I'm pleased with the average running temps since going to the efan only.

Hmm, I definitely shouldn't be hitting this high then...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hmm, I definitely shouldn't be hitting this high then...

Didn't you say you were swinging 37"s ,what pressure are you running them at.Also what gears are in your diffs? Your tires are going to take more horsepower to turn,especially if you run them on the soft side,horsepower used=heat created,and if by chance you have 3.21's,your rpm is going to be low,which means less coolant being circulated ,while you've increased the horsepower required to turn the tires. for ***** and giggles try airing your tires up to the max inflation listed on the tires sidewall,and see if anything changes with your temps,then air them back down and check temps again.