High Flow Cats or No Cats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So right now I'm looking at either getting High Flow Cats, or just running no Cats. I'd like to know if there is any significant difference between no cat and high flows? Other than being legal and whatnot.

Right now I have dual 2.5 inch pipe to a Flowmaster Super 10, then dual 2.5 out the back bumper. No X pipe.

I have a buddy who just has dual 3 inch pipe running from the headers to the tips, no cats, muffler or X pipe and it sounds deeper and throatier compared to mine and his truck is 1 year newer.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The big question is what you you trying to do here? If it's just sound and you don't care about it being legal then yeah go no cats. Just check your inspection laws first or make sure you have a "guy". Also you will need a tune or you will throw CEL codes.

There is a difference between high flows and no cats. It will vary depending on which ones we talk about. Any cats will quiet the exhaust down more than no cats at all. If your looking for louder I would first look into a muffler swap. Go with a straight thru design instead of the flowmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The big question is what you you trying to do here? If it's just sound and you don't care about it being legal then yeah go no cats. Just check your inspection laws first or make sure you have a "guy". Also you will need a tune or you will throw CEL codes.

There is a difference between high flows and no cats. It will vary depending on which ones we talk about. Any cats will quiet the exhaust down more than no cats at all. If your looking for louder I would first look into a muffler swap. Go with a straight thru design instead of the flowmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like how my exhaust "claps" when I get on the gas. But I see that when people don't have their cats, they can be just cruising and it still "claps", which I like. So I was wondering if going high flow cats would accomplish something similar?

It is also legal in my state to not have a muffler at all, so that is an option too

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like how my exhaust "claps" when I get on the gas. But I see that when people don't have their cats, they can be just cruising and it still "claps", which I like. So I was wondering if going high flow cats would accomplish something similar?

It is also legal in my state to not have a muffler at all, so that is an option too
Normally a flowmaster won't clap. Look into a bullet straight thru muffler if you want the clap sound. I had a 06 gmc with the 6.0. it had long tube headers going thru stock cats(made my own y-pipe) going thru bullet style muffler and it clapped.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Normally a flowmaster won't clap. Look into a bullet straight thru muffler if you want the clap sound. I had a 06 gmc with the 6.0. it had long tube headers going thru stock cats(made my own y-pipe) going thru bullet style muffler and it clapped.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ill look into that. But would running no muffler at all be similar to a bullet/straight through muffler?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I just took my spintech pro street 9000 off because of the "clap" or "crackle" on acceleration. No cats and headers, it was super loud. I don't have cats, I'm debating about adding them back in. The smell gets annoying after awhile. I should have the spintech for sale real soon for cheap...

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I am in CT and just passed my 1st emissions inspection....glad I went with high flow cats....they looked for em. I run a e-cutout right after my ypipe. This way best of both worlds!

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are there any high flow cats that are CARB legal? Would love to ditch the OEM cats for some better air flow, but don't want to get screwed by California :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are there any high flow cats that are CARB legal? Would love to ditch the OEM cats for some better air flow, but don't want to get screwed by California :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Probably not

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I thought our cats on the ram are hi-flow. Am I mistaken?