higher mileage oils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyjames636

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have read through a few threads about what people are currently running and changing to on there oil changes. Seems like the vast majority of y'all have lower milage vehicles. If there is anyone out there with higher mileage vehicles, can you chime in on what you have been using? I have been reading a lot about the Pennzoil and the redline lately and seems like its a new hype? I have an 09 with 141000 on it and have been consistently using valvoline synthetic maxlife with a mopar filter. Past two oil changes I have added a lucas oil stabilizer my friend told me he uses. Truck has never really had any bad lifter tick but maybe on a cold startup every now and then. I guess what im trying to get out of this is maybe there is a better oil/filter combo out thier for my truck and would appreciate a little help figuring out the differences in all the different oils.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Imho, of you need to use an additive, you need to use a better oil.

If you haven't had an issue with the oil and oci in 140000 miles, why change now ?

OP
OP
jimmyjames636

jimmyjames636

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear you. That was my thinking as well. I just keep reading about all these guys running these differant oils and am beginning to think there is something better than my current combo.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would suggest to upgrade your filter to a good synthetic filter if your doing long oci on your oil.
I have always ran Quaker State oil and since I bought this Ram/Hemi and heard the hemi tick I decided to switch out to the best oil I could to stop the tick or prevent it.5w30 Redline
I will run this in my truck from now on but my other vehicles I will go back to QSUD.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One of the last guys who ran lucas stabilizer link had oil the constancy of Chili and a cam failure to go with it. Before you come at us by telling us we are hype and not making a choice based on some sort of science, explain how adding an oil with a operating viscosity of 45 will help your Ram. First thing I'd do after apologizing is get that **** out of your truck :)

Operating temp visc
5w20 visc 9
5w30 visc 12
75w140 gear oil visc 28

Your additive, visc 45 nearly double 75w140 gear oil and worse then that also has oil thickenrs that also thicken your oil. And you dropped that in your engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jimmyjames636

jimmyjames636

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lets get something clear here first. I do not need to apologize for anything as I did not disrespect anyone in any of my posts. I come to this forum for advice in bettering the operation of my truck. I came here asking a question to see and make sure I will be using the best and correct stuff for my truck from everyones experience and from people who know more about this than I do. Thiers only a few ways to learn things in life, i'm choosing to ask questions rather than learn the hard way. Thanks for your post info though.

68GWC - What filter are you running with your redline? Seems like a royal purple filter is a common filter with it? Is the mopar filter not suppose to be ran with a synthetic oil?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I am running the royal purple filter as it seems to be one of the best.
Its not that the Mopar filter is bad I just dont think its made for long oci like a full synthetic oil filter is, but I could be wrong.. jmo
If your looking to change to a better oil, Pennzoil, Amsoil and Redline seem to be some of the top ones people lean to.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Perhaps you didn't get the joke, you used an oil additive based on "hype" and real bad science but you hint that we are choosing an oil based on hype. If you can't take a joke keep the hype talk to yourself. Hemi's seam to not like junk like seal conditioners or thickners you would find in high mileage oils but rather respond to hearty base stock oils or good additive package. If you want to help a higher mileage vehicle, use a good oil with moly and change it a little more often, and more important then anything, make sure the PCV is working correctly. The number one cause of sludge and engines that expire sooner rather then later is a poorly operating pcv.

OP
OP
jimmyjames636

jimmyjames636

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see what your saying. Didnt catch the "joke". But this is why I posted this to get better information directed more towards a higher mileage hemi as I couldnt find much on other threads. I suppose everything we use could be based on "hype", but what im really just trying to get to is what would be best for my higher mileage truck. Is thier any negative to straight up switching from one synthetic to another as well as the filter? Perhaps things I should watch out for? Sounds like the RP filter and just a better synthetic oil is what I should switch to.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Apologize to your engine. :) lol

Royal Purple filter and an oil like Redline or Amsoil is what I'd switch to. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is another great oil. It's pretty much all I ran in my last Ram with almost 100k miles of sweet purring Hemi on it.

As stated. There's been lots of testing, not only on this forum, but others as well. High moly content oils run best in the Hemi. Not hype, but actual oil analysis done.

I mean, some people run a fram filter and whatever the cheapest synthetic blend is on sale at Autozone that day and never have a problem. Personally, I'll spend a few extra bucks and run a better filter and high end oil and know I won't have a oil related problem.

Jamesq87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can’t give any analysis of oils, but just my personal preference I’ve ran a fram filter since I got the truck and pennzoil. I still run the same but I switched to non synthetic,high mileage formula. I don’t have any issues. I also prefer to change my oil every 3,000 miles like the old school guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jimmyjames636

jimmyjames636

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do need to apologize to my truck lol I have always ran this valvoline maxlife in my older (02)silverado and it lasted well over 225000 miles and never had any issues with the motor at all. Now this 5.7l newer motor and electronics is totaly different and I want to make sure whats being used is something that I should be using for the best optimum performance of the motor etc. I really appreciate the input guys. Seems like it doesn't matter the amount of miles on the truck...a high moly content oil is what should be used with these motors(which is what I have been reading lately). I will have to do some more research on the benefits of the high moly. I am due for an oil change and I wanted to switch out with something better than what I have been using. d

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Detergents are strongest when the oil is young, pick any oil and maybe change it more often which means you wouldn't need a synthetic filter or a boutique oil. Right now coscto deal m1 is going on 4 dollars or so per qrt, try using 5w30 and get fram ultra filter and change the oil every 4 mos. if you don't have any ticking right now, this would be something I would recommend for a high mileage vehicle. In fact, this would be my choice for my own truck if I didn't have hemi tick I was keeping away. This is a small step up as your max life doesn't have moly, or you could just stick with maxlife and maybe try lubeguard biotech a moly supplement and stay to the same interval. Normally high mileage oils have things to help seals, but with the finickyness of these lifter/cams I just prefer to keep the formula more simple. Leaks happen more often not because of old seals, but because pressures build up in older engines when the pcv clogs and blows holes in the seals.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Have read through a few threads about what people are currently running and changing to on there oil changes. Seems like the vast majority of y'all have lower milage vehicles. If there is anyone out there with higher mileage vehicles, can you chime in on what you have been using? I have been reading a lot about the Pennzoil and the redline lately and seems like its a new hype? I have an 09 with 141000 on it and have been consistently using valvoline synthetic maxlife with a mopar filter. Past two oil changes I have added a lucas oil stabilizer my friend told me he uses. Truck has never really had any bad lifter tick but maybe on a cold startup every now and then. I guess what im trying to get out of this is maybe there is a better oil/filter combo out thier for my truck and would appreciate a little help figuring out the differences in all the different oils.

If you have been running 5W30 Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved (silver bottle) DONT CHANGE A THINK. That oil placed 5th out of 206 oils tested in Anti-Wear testing. You can see for yourself, check out the link:

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

OP
OP
jimmyjames636

jimmyjames636

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hammerhead, I am still in process of reading through that listed link fully. Insane amounts of info on there. Maybe instead of adding the oil stabilizer I should be adding a moly additive? I saw that they didn't list any numbers for the valvoline maxlife for the zinc/phos/moly. I wonder what those numbers are. Also he states that higher mileage oils were being used for "older" motors with over 75,000 miles. Do you think my motor is to new to be running an oil like this?

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
One of the last guys who ran lucas stabilizer link had oil the constancy of Chili and a cam failure to go with it. Before you come at us by telling us we are hype and not making a choice based on some sort of science, explain how adding an oil with a operating viscosity of 45 will help your Ram. First thing I'd do after apologizing is get that **** out of your truck :)

Operating temp visc
5w20 visc 9
5w30 visc 12
75w140 gear oil visc 28

Your additive, visc 45 nearly double 75w140 gear oil and worse then that also has oil thickenrs that also thicken your oil. And you dropped that in your engine.

Why are you always about being apologized to...You pulled this same **** with me in the other thread...Internet websites are all about opinions and perceptions...Get over yourself....

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Lets get something clear here first. I do not need to apologize for anything as I did not disrespect anyone in any of my posts. I come to this forum for advice in bettering the operation of my truck. I came here asking a question to see and make sure I will be using the best and correct stuff for my truck from everyones experience and from people who know more about this than I do. Thiers only a few ways to learn things in life, i'm choosing to ask questions rather than learn the hard way. Thanks for your post info though.

68GWC - What filter are you running with your redline? Seems like a royal purple filter is a common filter with it? Is the mopar filter not suppose to be ran with a synthetic oil?

Ive owned 14 3500 series trucks so far in my lifetime...1.5 million+ miles combined...I personally did every oil change along with a filter change every 3-4000 miles religiously till around 2007 when I would let the oci go to no longer than 4500 miles...I used the cheapest oil available usually Walmart Supertech along with an Ac/Delco filter...NEVER once did I ever have an internal engine related issue...When a ******* buys a new truck that ticks like a TIMEBOMB, it's on them for making a poor decision...NO Voo Doo oil is going to fix their stupidity...I would if I were you, just continue to do what you been doing...BUT...As your truck gets older and more miles I would shorten the o.c.i. intervals..........Good Luck......

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I dont think most bought their trucks with the tick rather it started later down the road.
Redline 5w30 has put the tick to rest in alot of trucks wether anyone likes it or not does not matter.
:)