Highest HP 5.7 Stock Long Block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I'm starting this thread to find out just what the title suggests, what is the highest HP you have made/seen/heard of out of a 5.7 Hemi with a STOCK long block (bolt ons are fine)?

My previous history with high performance engines is primarily GM and I've made a LOT of power with stock long blocks, even more with stock short blocks, and even more with 100% aftermarket builds using parts that only mimic GM (Dart blocks and heads, Scat cranks, Oliver rods, etc.). I've even delved into Ford (I know, I know, don't say it) a little bit. I know the old 5.0 blocks were good for about 500 crank HP before you split a block, the 4.6 is a pretty stout platform that will take a lot of abuse when set up correctly, but still 500 crank HP seems to be the magic number of running on the ragged edge for the internals (the blocks are a lot stronger, especially the Teksid), and the new Coyote 5.0 is a huge jump forward with people pushing over 700 crank HP on stock internals.

If any of you have read any of my previous posts, you know that I'm planning on supercharging my '14 Ram and I'm looking to do some research to see what people have done, where the weak spots are, etc. I'm not going to go crazy with boost so I'm not afraid of hurting the internals... yet. Eventually I'll purchase a junk yard engine and build it up with some goodies inside so it can handle some more punch, but in the meantime I'd love to know more about the 5.7 Hemi. I'm really hoping to get some good info out of this. As usual, thanks in advance.

Jimmy_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From my understanding, the weak point on the modern Hemi engine is the pistons, more specifically the ring lands. The most important thing in keeping the block together is getting a good tune and running lower boost to keep the cylinder pressure(s) low. Why is it that you're going the supercharger route vs. a turbo? A rearmount turbo like STS used to make is great for making good power, and much more efficient. Not only that, but you could run a Holset hx35/hx40 on VERY low boost and pump gas and make much more power than a supercharger would ever dream of. IMO an intercooled turbo system would be a more safe bet, IAT's would be much lower than a non intercooled roots type blower and you'd have much, much better pull up top. You could do a DIY rearmount for less than 3k if you know how to weld. You don't even need an intercooler!

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-1106-turbocharged-hemi-engine/

Hotrod did that with an EBAY turbo! 620 crank torque on 8 psi?

But, I digress. As far as your question, the link I just posted is the highest I've seen on a bone stock internal motor. That much power would make the pistons fly apart IMO. <500rwhp dynojet and a great tune, I think you could keep the motor together for a good while assuming you don't rag the **** out of it. Understand that when you really start adding power like this, you're running on borrowed time with the stock block. That's the trend I see when I look up boosting a gen IV hemi. Theres quite a few local guys running around here (Phoenix AZ) that I've talked to that have prochargers on their DD 5.7 magnums/chargers, none of which are running more than the street kit on 7psi. Out of the 2 I talked to, both wanted more power than the 7psi had to offer. One gentlemen claimed he ran a 12.4 at 112 with a 1800 DA (no slip) on a P1SC charger. Also went on to say that he's had the kit on the car for 10k miles and no issues. That's damn close to 500 hp at the tire. /rant

OP
OP
nickpohlaandp

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I appreciate the insight. I decided to go with the Procharger due to the kit being complete and easy install. Truthfully, I'm not the biggest fan of centrifugal blowers, I prefer turbo any day, but I don't know of any kits available (I admit I haven't looked very hard). Twin screws deliver great power but I'm not a fan of heat soak so I'll probably never go that route. All of my past experience with boost is via turbo. I'm looking at this on my cell phone but when I get home I'll hop on my computer and check out your post again. I want to check out that link. Thanks.

shawn1112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As Jimmy K said, ringlands are definitely the weak point.
Go with Modern Muscle drop in pistons and rods and call it a day.

OP
OP
nickpohlaandp

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not going inside the engine. This is going to be a straight bolt on daily driver and camper puller. Someday when the engine is tired I'll put in a built motor, but for now I'm going to be conservative with the boost and tune. I'm just looking for a little extra power and keeping it safe. I'm not looking to run on the ragged edge of blowing the engine. I'll do that when I build my next fast car. This is just a truck that could use a little more oomph.

Feli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Limitless performance & fabrication has a turbo kit

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i know its off topic...but if you have the 6 speed, worry about that first. That will go way before the engine. If you get near 500 to the wheels the trans will be dead really quick..

Not sure where you are but there is a shop here on the east coast that can do a nag1 swap. Or you can send it out to be built but that will only handle so much power also.

OP
OP
nickpohlaandp

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Limitless performance & fabrication has a turbo kit

I saw that, but they sure don't offer up much info on it. I'd like to know if anyone has used it, what the power output is, etc. I guess I could give them a call.

i know its off topic...but if you have the 6 speed, worry about that first. That will go way before the engine. If you get near 500 to the wheels the trans will be dead really quick..

Not sure where you are but there is a shop here on the east coast that can do a nag1 swap. Or you can send it out to be built but that will only handle so much power also.

I do have the 6 speed. I'm learning fast that they seem to be a weak link on the truck. The best I can do for now is add the protection of an extra cooler. I'm not doing this to race the truck or beat the crap out of it, I just want to have a little extra when I'm pulling my camper. I honestly can't remember the last time I put the pedal to the floor for more than 5 seconds.

What is a nag1 swap, and what kind of implications would that have with the TCM/PCM?

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I do have the 6 speed. I'm learning fast that they seem to be a weak link on the truck. The best I can do for now is add the protection of an extra cooler. I'm not doing this to race the truck or beat the crap out of it, I just want to have a little extra when I'm pulling my camper. I honestly can't remember the last time I put the pedal to the floor for more than 5 seconds.

What is a nag1 swap, and what kind of implications would that have with the TCM/PCM?

You dont need to be racing to make this transmission fail with that much power lol

The nag1 is a much better transmission. It can handle way more power and is way easier and readily available to upgrade. Challengers, chargers, and the jeep srt8 uses them. So far the shop below is the only one to do it while retaining the 4wd. Hemituner would handle all the tuning.
http://www.ramforum.com/f44/true_street_performance-_hemituner_nag-ram_1st_ever-84773/

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
These trucks are not easy to dyno, so you arent going to find many dyno sheets out there on the 4th gen trucks. My truck is currently the fastest stock bottom end 5.7, and I'm guessing I'm pushing a little over 500hp to the wheels on a 100 shot. Ive stepped up to a 150 shot now, so we will see if it holds up on the next track visit.

And like said, the 5/6sp transmission is the real weak point when it comes to making big reliable power. I am still running a stock transmission (aside from tq converter and valvebody), but I am very careful about how I drive the truck on the street. No WOT downshifts and no WOT runs in 4th gear.

shawn1112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I'm new to the Ram community, but not Modern Mopars. How much more do you think the Nag 1 can handle? I have blown 2 Nag 1's with right around 500whp give or take 10-15whp, you can do blue tops or upgraded valve body to buy some time.