How do I know if my Coolant level is adequate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently changed my thermostat out and I am concerned I may not have put enough coolant back in. Is their a way to check that I have put back enough?

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently changed my thermostat out and I am concerned I may not have put enough coolant back in. Is their a way to check that I have put back enough?

If you're not losing coolant out of the reserve tank, you should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
aaahhhh, I usually take the radiator cap off when it is cold (the engine is cold).........someone else may have a more creative way.

OP
OP
Txhemirt

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
aaahhhh, I usually take the radiator cap off when it is cold (the engine is cold).........someone else may have a more creative way.

So what exactly are you looking for when you do this ? Being completely serious here lol

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Without having a refill funnel or vacuum filler; fill the radiator to the top, let air escape, fill to top again, air escape.... Repeat until radiator is filled to the top of the neck. Add to overflow tank about halfway. Start engine & let thermostat open. If the gauge goes past 3/4 hot, either coolant is low or there's an air pocket that's trapped. I rarely see them get past 215° on a 5.7. Once thermostat is open, you'll see the gauge drop down to operating temp (195 ish). Let cool down completely, recheck radiator & overflow. Top off radiator if needed & fill overflow to indicated max level. And obviously, don't remove radiator cap while hot.

OP
OP
Txhemirt

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Without having a refill funnel or vacuum filler; fill the radiator to the top, let air escape, fill to top again, air escape.... Repeat until radiator is filled to the top of the neck. Add to overflow tank about halfway. Start engine & let thermostat open. If the gauge goes past 3/4 hot, either coolant is low or there's an air pocket that's trapped. I rarely see them get past 215° on a 5.7. Once thermostat is open, you'll see the gauge drop down to operating temp (195 ish). Let cool down completely, recheck radiator & overflow. Top off radiator if needed & fill overflow to indicated max level. And obviously, don't remove radiator cap while hot.

So if I am looking into the radiator tank when I remove the polished/chrome cap on a cool motor the coolant should be visible if full? I put a 180 stat on and have not noticed it get hotter than 185. I added about 2/3 of a gallon after changing out thermostat

OP
OP
Txhemirt

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the coolant I used. I did not mix it with water. This is what dealer said went in to the 2016

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 23