Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

How do you use/utilize 4WD in your Ram?

This is a discussion on How do you use/utilize 4WD in your Ram? within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
If you have 4Auto you can use it virtually anytime. I switch mine to auto in bad weather, other than ...

Like Tree13Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
If you have 4Auto you can use it virtually anytime. I switch mine to auto in bad weather, other than that Im usually in 2wd. You can feel it when you are in 4auto and floor it, it takes some uph away. Offroad I will use 2wd until I feel slip unless its real lose then 4x4hi or low, not auto.. Remember if you get stuck in 4x4, you are stuck. If you get stuck in 2wd you can dig yourself out most of the time.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

2014 Ram 1500 Bighorn 4x4 Hemi, 4" iBoards, 33" Terra Grappler G2's, Rediculous Tint, Leather, Bilstein 5100's maxed out, cheap folding bed cover,Heated/Cooled Seats, Rockford Fosgate 3.5's in the dash, Rockford Fosgate 6x9's in all 4 doors. Next Custom projector headlight and fog lamps, MS8, amps, subwoofers, .
WilliamS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2011
When i use to drive a 94 silverado i would always spin out at a stop light in the rain so what i did was put it in low gear and then put it back in drive once i had got some momentum going.
Devin1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Originally Posted by WilliamS View Post
You can feel it when you are in 4auto and floor it, it takes some uph away.
It's actually the opposite for me with my high HP setup, I actually seem to get more of a "leap" off the line when in auto since the rear tires will break loose otherwise.

Gamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
I use it in Auto every time it rains. Otherwise, all I do is spin out.
This is exactly why I started to use 4WD Auto. I'm not flooring it off a stop, but it just seems too easy to spin the rear wheels. This morning in rain I just left the house in 4WD Auto. It felt so much more stable leaving a red light, no spin, and felt I had more control.

metalmancpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Originally Posted by DannyMK2 View Post
you shouldnt drive around in 4x4 lock unless your on loose ground like dirt, sand or snow. if your engaging 4x4 lock on pavement, to get up a steep hill or something along those lines, keep it in a straight line. theres no harm in driving around in the rain in 4x4 auto, i just personally dont see the point. wheelspin in the rain is corrected by managing the throttle and/or getting good tires. ive never felt the need for 4wd in the rain in any truck ive owned.
This. The only time I spin the tires is intentionally, or after driving my 1987 RV jumping right into the truck... To say there's a difference in throttle and power from that old rig to the Hemi is an understatement. But it's a very tame beast when you keep the right foot in check.

Here in Florida I'll throw it on when launching/trailering a boat; likely not necessary most of the time, but I've seen YouTube fails. In MI, it'll come on when there's snow covering the entire road. Otherwise, it's for offroad when the wheels spin. And since I have the part time transfer case, the likelihood of overheating is drastically reduced....
Skerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Ease up on the skinny peddle a little when it rains. I only use 4wd in snow or in mud/ loose terrain. I normally won't use the 4wd in snow until it's at least an inch or two deep, the right amount of weight in the bed helps with traction in the winter. The factory tires aren't the best in wet, snowy, or muddy conditions. A good set of tires helps alot. My old 2nd gen cummins 2500 was a different story, it was very front end heavy that it would spin the tires very easy no matter the conditions. I used the 4wd alot in it in wet pavement.
SyN likes this.

2014 Ram 1500 Express RC/SB 4x4.Deep Cherry Red 18" Magnaflow, S&B CAI, billet tech catch can, Zone UCAs, Bilstein 5100 2.1 level, Debadged, windows tinted, and a moes performance sticker in the back window.
SD38-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: Hemi 6.4
What kind of rain do you guys get that you need 4x4 to not spin from a stop? Or are you walking on the skinny pedal?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

#iketimesmatter
smurfs_of_war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war View Post
What kind of rain do you guys get that you need 4x4 to not spin from a stop? Or are you walking on the skinny pedal?

Florida, which is the same as living in Burma. It is so slick when it rains here, that 2wd is useless.
ScottFL and adrianp89 like this.

Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Florida, which is the same as living in Burma. It is so slick when it rains here, that 2wd is useless.
Didn't know that. I wonder why? Gotta be an explanation. I am more curious than anything.

#iketimesmatter
smurfs_of_war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war View Post
Didn't know that. I wonder why? Gotta be an explanation. I am more curious than anything.

^Kind of an exageration... To Smurf, I saw you live in Canada, correct? After living in Michigan for most of my life, but most of the last 6 years in Florida sprinkled with time in TX and VA, there are several conclusions that can be made. Roads that aren't destroyed by salt and anti snow antics are generally very smooth, especially when well used/worn. Also, more sun prone areas, such as FL, TX, etc also get less rain/inclement weather, to include snow, which has 2 negative effects. The first is more road grime build up, such as vehicle oils and fluids, dust, tire particles, etc aren't washed off as much. Secondly, people living in such areas aren't used to it. The 2 often go hand in hand to make it even worse. However, anyone who spends months (probably half the year in Smurfs case ) driving in snow is going to be more generally cautious as well as more experienced driving in situations where there could actually be no traction, as opposed to simply trying to be modern Jesus and driving on water...

If I had the auto transfer case, I would leave it on at least auto all the time, rain, snow, or shine. There's no reason not to; it's designed to be dummy proof and can be left on ready to go if something crazy happens. I'm all about using all the tools in the box. But claiming 2WD is useless or wheels won't stop spinning because of rain? That's a case of leadfootitis and/or bad tires. Easily preventable and curable.
smurfs_of_war likes this.
Skerj is offline   Reply With Quote