How much louder will headers make it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I love my Carven Progressive, and i'm pretty sure i'm flirting with the "Too Loud" line in my neighborhood. I usually just creep through, but on cold start i'm sure i'm a wake-up alarm for my neighbors.
If i plan to eventually go to a set of LTH's without Cats, how much louder do you think it will be? I am afraid i already know the answer, but looking for real world input.
The other option has been a set of shorties to keep the cats in place, but i'm sure this will make it somewhat louder as well.
This is my daily driver, so top end power at WOT isn't the primary concern. Streetable power is what i'm after and off the light get-up-and-go is the goal. I don't need to win any races, but as an aggressive driver if i need to get around someone or turn a head at a stop light, that is fun.
Thanks guys.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who cares about the neighbours :) put on LT and live happily ever after :) Yes its loud but having an engine that breathes properly is more important. And you'll need a custom tune.

If you do go with shorties make sure to upgrade that abortion of a factory Y pipe. Some ******** engineer at dodge decided crushing 2 pipes together was a good idea...lol...

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've seen that. An that is why i've questioned whether or not to go LT or Shorties. If i go LT, i've thought about going full custom and running true duals. i want to keep the CATs just so i don't have to worry about inspections down the road.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have ARH long tube headers along with a Magnaflow cat-back. Even with cats the headers will make the exhaust noticeably louder over just a cat-back setup. So if you're already on the edge it will definitely send you over:)

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Longtubes by themselves will make it a little louder and deeper, but removing the cats almost take it to an obnoxious level for an everyday driver. I do recommend going with a more subtle muffler though like the Borla ProXS or 22" Magnaflow. That will keep the exhaust at a reasonable level for both you and your neighbors.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why I don't have neighbors. But there becomes a point where it can get too loud and not enjoyable to drive.... Matt's advice is good.

I don't have long tubes yet but I did end up dumping my exhaust at the axle due to pipe/axle conflicts, it got louder and is a little too loud and gets annoying daily driving but nice on the track.

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, i don't want it to be annoying to drive. Especially since i do take it on longer trips. It's so much nicer driving 7 hours in a roomy CC than it is in a small 4 door car.
Knowing all of that, Shorties might be the best bet for me, if i end up touching the headers.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Yeah, i don't want it to be annoying to drive. Especially since i do take it on longer trips. It's so much nicer driving 7 hours in a roomy CC than it is in a small 4 door car.
Knowing all of that, Shorties might be the best bet for me, if i end up touching the headers.

Everyone that gets shorty's regrets it. I think BlackramHemi did shorty's and only pickup 8HP. That's not worth it in my opinion.

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
I have ARH long tube headers along with a Magnaflow cat-back. Even with cats the headers will make the exhaust noticeably louder over just a cat-back setup. So if you're already on the edge it will definitely send you over:)

This IS true. I have the Borla cat back with Stainless Works LT with cats. Just put the stock manifolds back on (putting the LT's in my new '17) and it's so quiet now. Probably going to leave the stock muffler on the '17 too just so I don't have to hear it from the wife lol. Plus, towing with the LT and cat back on road trips can get annoying at times with drone through the hills and passing. Around town though it's awesome and I'm sure I'll miss it.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the carven type r with long tubes and no cats. Man it's loud as hell. I am probably going to go to a 22 inch magnaflow. I'm gonna **** the neighbors off this weekend. First week with the headers and I go out for coffee at 7 am. Cold start is a beast !!