I need help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DB1205

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been searching, without luck forums that address the issues I am having with my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi (Big Horn addition) without luck.

All at once this morning my airbag and ESP light (as well as the ESP/BAS warning light) came on. The following things don’t work at all this morning as well:
HVAC, horn, windshield wipers or washer pump, bake lights (except the 3rd light on the cab does work, and the tail lights work as well), the rear sliding window, all power outlets, door lock buttons (window buttons work fine), key fob will not unlock (but lights will still flash as if it worked) and the starter assist. Any suggestions?
Could this be a PCM issue?
Thank you in advance!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow ! Have you checked fuses ?
Have you done any recent work on the truck of any kind ?
Have you been in deep water ?

OP
OP
D

DB1205

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have checked all the fuses, and I have not done any work to it, other than oil changes/tire rotations. I have not been in any deep water, but we have had a lot of rain here in Georgia the past week. However, I have not even hit large puddles.

I drove it X-mas eve no issues, did go anywhere yesterday. Went to go to the store today and bam... All at once, which was making me think of a control module issue of some sort. Just not sure.

OP
OP
D

DB1205

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also checked... it is charging at over 14 volts

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Edit : STEP #1 listen to tach tech below .

He has much more experience than i.
I'm only familiar with 13+

Have you owned since new ? Have you done any electrical mods or kits or upgrades ?
Hope this helps !

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
First thing you need to do is get any and all codes read, without at least knowing those, we're just guessing. Your truck doesn't have a BCM, TIPMs are somewhat common. A simple thing you can do is disconnect both battery terminals and touch them together, this is a capacitive discharge and will basically hard reset all the modules.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good call on getting codes .
Does the capacitive discharge hard reset modules on the 2013+ Ram's as well ?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Good call on getting codes .
Does the capacitive discharge hard reset modules on the 2013+ Ram's as well ?
Capacitive discharge will work on any car, just take the terminals off touch them together for a few seconds and leave them disconnected for a half hour or so.

OP
OP
D

DB1205

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disconnect the NEG Terminal .
Locate the BCM " Body Control Module "
Under dash behind parking break large plastic box with a bunch of large connectors .
Remove each connector inspect for burning / corrosion .
Reconnect all making sure they are fully seated !
If any of these have wiggled loose over the years LOTS OF things stop working .
Once all reconnected and SEATED for sure , reconnecte NEG terminal and try it again .
High charging voltage is probably no issue , but could be an indication of a weak battery or a battery on its way out .
If it's the original battery, I'd replace it .

Have you owned since new ? Have you done any electrical mods or kits or upgrades ?
Hope this helps !

I purchased the truck used in 2013, and replaced (what appeared to be the original) battery last year. I have not up graded anything (other than sticking a Garmin in the windshield :) ). I found a black box in the location that you described, disconnected and reconnected the harness. No such luck. Attached is a picture of what I believe you were describing as the BCM to me.

However, two new lights came on the check engine light and the "Brake" light, (the parking brake is not on).
But thanks for the help, if you got any other tricks please send them my way.

Attachments

• 20151226_202642_resized.jpg
    20151226_202642_resized.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20151226_202958_resized.jpg
    20151226_202958_resized.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
D

DB1205

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First thing you need to do is get any and all codes read, without at least knowing those, we're just guessing. Your truck doesn't have a BCM, TIPMs are somewhat common. A simple thing you can do is disconnect both battery terminals and touch them together, this is a capacitive discharge and will basically hard reset all the modules.

I went and checked a few hours ago, no codes were found

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Your truck doesn't have a BCM, what you see there is an intermediate connector, the black one. The blue connector is for trailer brake.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I went and checked a few hours ago, no codes were found

There's codes there, I guarantee it. What are you using to check for codes? A lot of aftermarket scanners can't read anything other than P codes from the PCM. You may need to get the dealer to pull the codes for you, or try a parts store that can read ABS and body codes.

OP
OP
D

DB1205

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But now I have a check engine light on so im sure that changed... I attempt to touch both terminals. I am not critiquing or doubting, but the act seems counter intuitive.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
But now I have a check engine light on so im sure that changed... I attempt to touch both terminals. I am not critiquing or doubting, but the act seems counter intuitive.

Disconnecting both battery terminals and touching the cables together bleeds off any residual voltage that any modules may have. It allows them to completely shut off. Modules sometimes freeze or develop a hiccup, doing this allows the module to completely shutdown and reboot.

You're not going to hurt anything doing this, just make sure both cables are disconnected from the battery. I've been a Chrysler tech for several years and driveability/electrical is my specialty.

OP
OP
D

DB1205

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have left them touching for at least a few minutes. Did I read earlier that I should leave it this way for about a half hour?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd listen to Tach tech , I've read his replies in the past and he knows much more than i do !

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have left them touching for at least a few minutes. Did I read earlier that I should leave it this way for about a half hour?

Touch them together for maybe 10 seconds, then just leave the battery disconnected for half an hour. Then connect the battery and see what lights are on, if there's no change then you have an active fault and need to get the codes retrieved.

Does the truck start and drive?

OP
OP
D

DB1205

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
... if there's no change then you have an active fault and need to get the codes retrieved.

Does the truck start and drive?

No change. Thank you for your help, I have to work all day tomorrow but will attempt to get codes tomorrow night. If not Monday for sure. again thanks for your help, if you can think of anything else let me know.

OP
OP
D

DB1205

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does run and drive, with no noticeable issues

Last edited: