I think I found Bruce Banner's Day Job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
scA7ZXil.png

Tried to do an oil change on my new 2014 1500, after a bit of a break in. Drain plug was simple enough, but the damn oil filter will not budge. It's literally breaking under the force of the filter wrench. Srew driver in filter time or what guys? The incredible hulk should stick to breaking ****, not installing filters :p.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
thats the only reason I do my own oil change. had a shop do it once and could not get the filter out. by the time i got done with it it was just a bunch on scrap metal.
also i my opinion i think shops tighten the drain plug way too much.

OP
OP
O

oesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thats the only reason I do my own oil change. had a shop do it once and could not get the filter out. by the time i got done with it it was just a bunch on scrap metal.
also i my opinion i think shops tighten the drain plug way too much.

The drain plug was surprisingly tight, but came out without issue. I do agree it shouldn't be that freaking tight.

Try a rubber strap wrench.

I can give that a shot. It's not that my current wrench is slipping, it's just that the filter is breaking under the force :(.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It'll distribute the torque better than your typical filter wrench.

OP
OP
O

oesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It'll distribute the torque better than your typical filter wrench.

Yea you know what, after I posted that I was thinking the same thing, you're probably right, i think this thing is pinching it.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Since it says "FACTORY INSTALLED" on the filter I'm assuming this is its first oil change. They're always rediculously tight from the factory.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yep you need something wider. you have to remember these things will tighten up on their own after a bit(just like jars) so you can't fully blame the factory/mechanic but really they should never be installed more then hand tight plus a little extra

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
also try to get the wrench up as high as possible near the very top of the filter

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory installed ones are always super tight. They have those robots cranked up way to high.

OP
OP
O

oesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks fellas, was able to get the ****** off finally. It was indeed the factory installed one, said so on the bottom. I just wanted to swap out to synthetic now that I've driven it for a week.

Tried the screw driver method, no go, I could see it start to rip the filter. It's just too flimsy for that method.

Ended up taking my G8 out to a parts store and bought a socket deal and a wrench as a backup. I was thinking the socket would fit the mopar filter since it fit my mobile 1 replacement filter, it didn't. I was happy I bought the new wrench, I just gripped the crap out of the filter with it and yanked it 'till it turned. Still was way too much effort.

JnQISLVl.jpg

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is probably a fine filter. But it cracks me up that it says "high capacity". Aren't they the same size as the factory one? Wouldn't that mean there is less filter material in there if it holds more oil?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Damn, you would have thought something would have F-d up being that tight.

Crazy

OP
OP
O

oesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is probably a fine filter. But it cracks me up that it says "high capacity". Aren't they the same size as the factory one? Wouldn't that mean there is less filter material in there if it holds more oil?

Yea they are the same size. I think what they mean is 3x filtering capacity, as in it can trap 3x more material. Which seems reasonable enough if their filters are truly higher quality than whatever they compared against. They're just champion labs filters, which are perfectly fine, Mobil1 are just the easiest for me to get cheap in bulk vs. wix/purloator/etc..

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This was my cure for oil plugs that were to tight www.fumoto.qwikvalve.com/drainplug
I alway let the dealer do the first oil change because of the problems with the factory filter being torqued at 250# or something like that. You might think that a robot put it on but I think it was my ex-wife!!!!!!
Jay

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always crank them on tight, have had a few cars with issues of blowing out past the o-ring when it's sub zero out, Who cares if they crush a little when you take them off.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every factory installed filter I've removed has been a nightmare.
Dad's 6.4 Hemi... ooof, that basically turned into mangled scrap metal.

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use K&N oil filters because they have a nut on them for easy removal. I recommend them.

OP
OP
O

oesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use K&N oil filters because they have a nut on them for easy removal. I recommend them.

Yea that's actually a pretty cool feature. I like the Mobil 1 because I can buy them in bulk cheap and I happen to have two vehicles at the moment that use the exact same model. They have an adapter thing for the Mobil1 filters at most auto stores around here, makes it super easy as well.

AFAIK Champion Labs makes both the Mobil1 and the K&N filter, so it's all the same ****, we're both overpaying.