IAT Sensor Position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilesJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I'm noticing lots of people putting their sensors in different positions after installing a cai. Does anyone know which position is correct? I installed mine with the tab down which I'm fairly sure was the oem position. However I've seen many people position it sideways. I've looked everywhere I can think of for a picture of oem position for 2013. So if anyone can offer a source of this info please help me out.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Finished S&B Install.jpg I replaced my IAT exactly as OEM on a 2012. Might help.

:hands:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The red tab faced out on my '09 just like in Casper's pic.

OP
OP
M

MilesJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone remember which way the sensor is actually facing(maybe the tabs are different on 2013)? My sensor is facing with the open end angled towards the airflow.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine came with tab up; I'd say tab up or down doesn't matter. Doing so will keep air flowing through the sensor. Sideways (tab forward/back) would not force air through, but around the sensor's window.
My $.02

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
It picks up temp no matter which way it faces. It's measuring temperature, not airflow. A MAF would be different...an IAT doesn't care.

OP
OP
M

MilesJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea it is clearly designed in a way that the air can flow through it if positioned correctly. I couldn't tell a difference though I drove around for 20 mins with it facing sideways then flipped it back to the original position.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
It's just an IAT, man. I can assure you it doesn't care. You can just plug it in and not even put it in the intake tract and your truck will still run just fine. It measures ambient temperature...airflow has nothing to do with ambient temps on an inanimate object like a temp sensor.
Hell...when I ran a stock airbox with the Legmaker tube I had the IAT sensor in the bottom of the airbox. There's very little if any flow there....truck ran like a top.

Your own experiment showed you that. If you wanna verify that even more...pop it out of the intake, leave it plugged in and go drive around. Report back what happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MilesJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believed you. I was just trouble shooting something and had to rule that sensor out. Thanks a lot for the input. :cheers: