Install muffler without impact wrench?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epborden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am getting a new muffler delivered to me today and I expect to put it on. I have two questions for anyone who has done this:

Is the stock one difficult to get off?

Do you need an impact wrench to put the new one on (with clamps) or can I just use hand tools?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stock one shouldn't be too bad. Penetrating oil will help.

Hands tools is fine. Just makes sure you put some ass behind the ratchet when you tighten the clamps to make sure they are tight so u don't have leaks

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shouldn't be a problem, I replaced my exhaust on my 2014 after 2 years and did it all with hand tools.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It should be easy.

Spray the clamp fasteners with penetrating oil, also give any rubber hangers a squirt of WD40 where the mounting rod goes through them.

If you have a long open end wrench or breaker bar with the right socket on it, use it to break loose the fasteners with slow and easy pressure. Sometimes it helps to plant a foot on the frame or differential to give you a bit more force and leverage.

One thing to remember...most aftermarket mufflers are shorter than the stock units so you may have to make up some pipe to bridge the gap.

OP
OP
epborden

epborden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you all. Getting delivered today. It's a Mufflex DOD14M for those curious. Hope it goes well!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That's a direct fit bolt on.

Should be pretty straight forward--but definitely let the penetrating oil soak for a good long while even on a pretty new truck. That way they should turn instead of shearing....:emotions122:

TTU14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Breaker bar and PB Blaster and you're all set. If you're in the south with no road salt they won't be too bad.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
x2 on PB blaster, if you are in a snow state with salt let it sit and the bolts will break free. Unless the entire bolt is glowing orange you shouldnt need a impact. Although I use my 18v impact for everything, I use it even to put in windshield washer fluid.

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
very easy install. i didnt even have to jack my truck up. used hammer against a 2x4 to help the old out and avoid damage as it was being stubborn

Rampaige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
very easy install. i didnt even have to jack my truck up. used hammer against a 2x4 to help the old out and avoid damage as it was being stubborn

How do you like the DOD14M after the install? Is it very aggressive sounding? Any drone in the cab? Any leaks? I’m thinking of getting the same soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk