Intake Tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2016 ram 1500. I don't really want to spend the cash on a full blown CAI. In my old truck I had the Airaid replacement tube and drop in filter. I wanted to go the same route with this truck but Airaid doesn't make a modular tube for my year. Anybody know of a company that makes a replacement tube from the airbox to the throttle body or is it even needed? I know my old truck had the super restrictive hemi hat and the new truck goes from intake box straight to the throttle body. I was going to order some intake tubing and drop from out of the bottom of the box to the wheel well to pick up more cold air.

thisgr8ride

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My advice would Be :
S&B Cold Air Intake 2014-2016 Ram 1500/2500/3500 5.7L Hemi
I just installed mine 2 days ago, it has the tube you speak about, plus the scoop that pulls the air down from behind the bumper that you also want to add?

OP
OP
adubree86

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know the S&B intakes are nice. Was just hoping to achieve the same thing for less than $50 in tubing and a new filter. The stock box pulls air from the same fender location the S&B does. Just need a drop tube. Only thing I don't know about it the total surface area of the filter.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about modifying your old intake tube?
It's pretty effective except for the corrugated middle section.
You could cut out that section and replace it with some silicone intake tube.

OP
OP
adubree86

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What about modifying your old intake tube?
It's pretty effective except for the corrugated middle section.
You could cut out that section and replace it with some silicone intake tube.

Thats my understanding. Thats a good idea to just cut out the corrugated section.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed my s&b like a week or more ago. It looks really good. No noticeable sound difference over my exhaust and is a good fit.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That should do the trick. ;)
(Should fit, but better check length & dimensions for yourself.)

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
Thats my understanding. Thats a good idea to just cut out the corrugated section.

You can cut that corrugated section out and replace it with a piece of turbo charger hose, I did this on my truck before I got an S&B and it worked just fine.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Essentially just replacing the poem tube with a smoother flowing tube and a drop in aren't you just doing the same thing as buying a whole new intake?

I'd like to do the same as the OP states... looking for possible options as well. I've seen where someone cut a hole in the base of the oem intake box and ran hose to the grill to get fresh "cool" air to the filter.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The stock box also pulls air from the high pressure area in front of the wheel along with the headlight area.Follow the piece of plastic on the fender it attaches to.That plastic piece the box is attached to, is also open at the bottom.S&B's optional drop tube,copies the stock factory boxes intake locations.
A few guys have replaced the corrugated section with PCV plumbing pipe,doesn't hurt to insulate it if that's the way you go.The LX car guys are famous for wrapping their intake tubes in header wrap

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2016 ram 1500. I don't really want to spend the cash on a full blown CAI. In my old truck I had the Airaid replacement tube and drop in filter. I wanted to go the same route with this truck but Airaid doesn't make a modular tube for my year. Anybody know of a company that makes a replacement tube from the airbox to the throttle body or is it even needed? I know my old truck had the super restrictive hemi hat and the new truck goes from intake box straight to the throttle body. I was going to order some intake tubing and drop from out of the bottom of the box to the wheel well to pick up more cold air.

With all the 4th gen Rams on the road, you have to wonder what Airaid is thinking by not making one of these.