The Itch is Getting to me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j4m3s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got my truck 2 weeks ago, and told myself I was just going to get a spray in bed liner and leave the rest of the truck alone. Well that's not really working. I have found myself researching engine mods, lifts, ect. So pretty much within the nest few days I'm thinking of making a big purchase from Moe's. I'm planning on getting: BT Catch Can, S&B CAI w/ Cold Air scoop, and a 87mm throttle body.

Question is: I only plan to do full exhaust system and get a tuner to sum up all the performance mods I want to do. Do I really need the 87mm TB if I don't plan on doing anything else to the engine or will a 85mm do me fine? If it makes a difference, I'm leaning towards a cherry bomb exhaust, and I don't know what headers.

Let me know I'm open to all opinions. I jsut want to get this stuff right the first time around :)

OP
OP
J

j4m3s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a side note. I'm looking to get a really nice, deep, rich throaty sounds out of my exhaust so I'm not fully set on the cherry bomb yet.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd think that with headers, custom exhaust intake and a tune, you'd likely see some top end benefit from the 87. Now if you'll be at the top end enough to notice, that's a whole different question.

RamIt22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I can't help on the other stuff but I dot like my magnaflow 14". But honestly A LOT of the time I do wish it was louder. By the way where in MD are u from? I'm in MD also.

OP
OP
J

j4m3s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd think that with headers, custom exhaust intake and a tune, you'd likely see some top end benefit from the 87. Now if you'll be at the top end enough to notice, that's a whole different question.

I probably won't be in the very top half very much at all. 90% of my driving is highway, to and from work. Once I lift, I hope to venture into some trails atleast a few times.

OP
OP
J

j4m3s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't help on the other stuff but I dot like my magnaflow 14". But honestly A LOT of the time I do wish it was louder. By the way where in MD are u from? I'm in MD also.

yeah see I want a really nice mean sound :) and I'm in Anne Arundel County. Glen Burnie are to narrow it down a bit more.

RamIt22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Gotcya, I'm in Bel Air, Harford County. Yeah I regret not going with a stainless flowmaster 40. I think I would have had the louder sound I'm looking for. Of course the thought has always crossed my mind to put a cutout in but I'm affraid of running into troubles later with emissions

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

When I got my borla installed my exhaust guy said its a little louder than a magnaflow, but still has the same clean sound. I love it

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make you fat...

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
On the 2013's we actually only offer the 87mm. We tested both the 85mm and 87mm ports, and the 87mm showed better results even on a stock truck.

unclemark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi, 4.7
If you about it a motor is just a big air pump so the quicker in the quicker out the better off youll be.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have not tried one yet but I would think 87mm would be future proof and I would think it would be equal to or better even on a stock truck. No facts to back this up just my guess.

$miley

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So I got my truck 2 weeks ago, and told myself I was just going to get a spray in bed liner and leave the rest of the truck alone. Well that's not really working. I have found myself researching engine mods, lifts, ect. So pretty much within the nest few days I'm thinking of making a big purchase from Moe's. I'm planning on getting: BT Catch Can, S&B CAI w/ Cold Air scoop, and a 87mm throttle body.

Question is: I only plan to do full exhaust system and get a tuner to sum up all the performance mods I want to do. Do I really need the 87mm TB if I don't plan on doing anything else to the engine or will a 85mm do me fine? If it makes a difference, I'm leaning towards a cherry bomb exhaust, and I don't know what headers.

Let me know I'm open to all opinions. I jsut want to get this stuff right the first time around :)

I said the same thing. Within a week I was ordering parts. Everything you listed above is a great start. Exhaust wise, magnaflow has a great sound. If you decide to add a tuner, bullydog has stronger canned tunes, but diablosport can have custom tunes added. Hemifever has been making some excellent custom tunes. But as far as I know the 13's aren't supported yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
J

j4m3s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't looked to far into tuning yet b/c I wanted to just wait until I was done with all the mods, and use the tune to jsut finish it all off.

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
we should meet up. I'm in Calvert and you can see firsthand what my mods sound/look/perform like.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
yeah see I want a really nice mean sound :) and I'm in Anne Arundel County. Glen Burnie are to narrow it down a bit more.

Congrats on the truck. On a longshot, do you happen to know a guy named Sparks in Glen B?

OP
OP
J

j4m3s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
we should meet up. I'm in Calvert and you can see firsthand what my mods sound/look/perform like.

Sounds like a plan to me. I was actually going to search through the site to see if there was any type of group meetings going on in the area, so I could go see what others are doing.

tkyle486

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome and those modes sound really really good, in fact the look really familiar loll. You will love how they make your truck fill. And Moe is an outstanding person and his products are amazing. I went with the Flowmaster 40 Cat back but I plan on getting headers soon.

bskl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
For what it's worth, engine builder I know says to big of TB with not many engine mods, u will lose low end. But moe says he dynoed 87 TB & it made better power, so there's ur answer.