It's gonna be a long drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So, here is the setup. 2014 Ram 1500 CC. Installed a craven progressive a few months ago and the positives have outweighed the negatives. Developed a heat shield rattle, so I got an Intune i2 to turn off the MDS. Problem solved on the rattle front.
Headed out on a 7 hour drive Friday, and the exhaust drones for the bulk of the drive. RPMs hung right at 1500 with the cruise control on. Got decent MPGs (20.4 hand calc), but the wife was not happy about the drone.
Sounds like the progressive will come off when I get home. May go with a toned down. MAGNAFLOW. As much as I liked the craven, and going through the two tunnels and hearing the exhaust was fun, the truck is a daily driver first and the whole family needs to be comfortable and happy. Thoughts on an 18 or 24 Maggy?
Driving 7 hours back today, and unfortunately not looking forward to the drone.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
E N J O Y ! !

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
maybe sacrifice a little mpg's and keep the truck in 7th gear so the rpm's are a little higher so it doesn't drone?

not sure if that would work, just thinking out loud

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
6 speed, sorry, forgot that part, but I get what you are saying.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
maybe sacrifice a little mpg's and keep the truck in 7th gear so the rpm's are a little higher so it doesn't drone?

not sure if that would work, just thinking out loud

My wife doesnt mind the drone but it does bother me at 1500RPM. I put it into 7th gear too and itll bring my Rpm up to 2000 but the drone is gone. That is my exact fix lol

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 speed, sorry, forgot that part, but I get what you are saying.

Does your truck have a "tow/haul" button? If so, try locking out the 6th gear. Running in 5th would put you around 1650 rpm. Or you could upgrade to 3.92 gears. That would put your 6th gear around 1800 rpm.

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id go with the 18" maggy. I commute 100 miles a day for work. Mostly highway and the drone is not bad at all. Quiet exhaust tone when you're just putting around but aggressive when you lay into it.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm on my third Ram Hemi. The first one I left the stock muffler and was satisfied with the sound(not much). On the second one I put an 18" Maggie on and like the sound, but I also noticed the drone at highway speeds. On my current truck, I wanted something a little quieter so I tried a 22" Maggie and was very happy with the sound, and the reduced drone level. Then I put 5" tips on it and the sound changed to a deeper more mellow sound that I really like, however I still have some drone. IMHO after going through this, I believe that if you install any aftermarket muffler you're going to experience an increased level of drone over the stock set-up. I have no idea about the amount of drone you now have but I think you(or your wife) would be happy with a 22" or 24" Maggie, keeping in mind you're still going to have some drone.
Jay

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm on my third Ram Hemi. The first one I left the stock muffler and was satisfied with the sound(not much). On the second one I put an 18" Maggie on and like the sound, but I also noticed the drone at highway speeds. On my current truck, I wanted something a little quieter so I tried a 22" Maggie and was very happy with the sound, and the reduced drone level. Then I put 5" tips on it and the sound changed to a deeper more mellow sound that I really like, however I still have some drone. IMHO after going through this, I believe that if you install any aftermarket muffler you're going to experience an increased level of drone over the stock set-up. I have no idea about the amount of drone you now have but I think you(or your wife) would be happy with a 22" or 24" Maggie, keeping in mind you're still going to have some drone.
Jay

Thanks for the info Jay. I was looking at the 24". I still love the Carven for my day to day driving, and driving back the drone wasn't as bad but I was doing a lot of manual stuff to keep it out of the drone zone. 90% of the time I think I would be happy with the craven, but that 10% of the time has me concerned, so I am going to go back to stock, sell the craven progressive, and then go with the magnaflow.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Must be the location under the truck, i see CC owners say they have drone but I dont have any on my QC.

wonder if you had a muffler shop move it back a foot if that would fix you up.

nomercy346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Must be the location under the truck, i see CC owners say they have drone but I dont have any on my QC.

wonder if you had a muffler shop move it back a foot if that would fix you up.

Won't work, on a short bed at least. The muffler already sits right in front of where the bends over the axle begin.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 28 inch magnaflow and like it. Not to loud to get the family complaining.

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Decision has been made, I'm going to be converting back to stock for the time being and pulling the Carven Progressive off and putting the stocker back on. I'll end up replacing with magnaflow.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So, here is the setup. 2014 Ram 1500 CC. Installed a craven progressive a few months ago and the positives have outweighed the negatives. Developed a heat shield rattle, so I got an Intune i2 to turn off the MDS. Problem solved on the rattle front.
Headed out on a 7 hour drive Friday, and the exhaust drones for the bulk of the drive. RPMs hung right at 1500 with the cruise control on. Got decent MPGs (20.4 hand calc), but the wife was not happy about the drone.
Sounds like the progressive will come off when I get home. May go with a toned down. MAGNAFLOW. As much as I liked the craven, and going through the two tunnels and hearing the exhaust was fun, the truck is a daily driver first and the whole family needs to be comfortable and happy. Thoughts on an 18 or 24 Maggy?
Driving 7 hours back today, and unfortunately not looking forward to the drone.
I've got the Mufflex/Magnaflow 24" that is advertised as their most mellow. I get a nice grumbly idle, throaty acceleration--sounds like a truck with a hemi should, but at freeway speeds it quiets down nicely--doesn't go away, but I can barely hear anything with music at a reasonable volume. Might be different towing a boat or trailer, but haven't done that yet.

I've heard folks say similar things about the 22" Magnaflow (depending on their age: younger, too quiet; a lil older, just right) and if you've already altered stuff underneath, welded stuff in etc., you may want to go that route. :happy107:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No welding. Like the ability to bolt it back to stock if needed.
Like I said, I love the Carven for when I am driving, but when it is me and the fam on a 7 hour drive, I don't feel like it fits. That may only be 5% of the trucks usage, but it's not worth it to have a pissed off wife after getting out of the truck following a multi hour drive.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sound(loudness) has a lot to do with age and marital status IMHO. Younger loud, loud, loud, balls to the wall. Older and married, a little quieter, more mellow is just fine. There may be exceptions to this but not in my house, and she gave me permission to say that.
:naughty::naughty:
Jay

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hahaha, I think my wife had tolerated the Carven up until this most resent road trip. About half way there, she weighed in and made it known that something was going to change. Going to miss that aggressive roar though (from the truck, not the wife, hahaha).

Veritas726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hahaha, I think my wife had tolerated the Carven up until this most resent road trip. About half way there, she weighed in and made it known that something was going to change. Going to miss that aggressive roar though (from the truck, not the wife, hahaha).

Bolt on exhaust... Keep the carven and when the 7 hour family trip comes, bolt the stock exhaust back on. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Bolt on exhaust... Keep the carven and when the 7 hour family trip comes, bolt the stock exhaust back on. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is not an easy 5 minute swap lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye